Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

A mate of mine spent some time with the group on a hospital visit pre season and spoke to a few of the guys and I remember him saying at the time that players he spoke to were consistently telling him Varcoe was training the house down and setting the pace for everyone else. I felt like that was a good sign at the time and I'm really happy to see it's paying off for him and us.

He has been brilliant. Humble bloke as well. Tackling is great. And his ability to get into dangerous spaces is brilliant. Maturity +. De Goey can learn a few tricks from Varcoe. As far as getting into space goes. Varcoe's ability to peel of at dangerous moments with his reading ability is not necessarily something you can teach.. very hard. A dangerous unassuming weapon in our arsenal. Ling was livid Geelong traded him from all accounts.

Gotta put my hand up, i was filthy at getting Varcoe in. He's been great. A lot harder than i expected, pretty clean with the ball too. Happy to say i got that one wrong!

Me too. But sometimes it's awesome to be wrong. :)

Really pleased to see TV going so well for you. He was an absolute favorite of mine and I was gutted when he left. Still, I knew his form had been poor and I wasn't surprised he was moved on. He has been twice the player for you and I am getting a lot of pleasure watching him run and kick and tackle at maximum confidence and fluency. Just wish he was still in the hoops. Well done Pies for getting the best out of him and reinstating him as an asset to the game.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Probably one of our best again tonight. :thumbsu:

Probably one of our best again tonight. :thumbsu:
Was named best for us

PORT ADELAIDE 5.3 6.6 8.11 9.12 (66)
COLLINGWOOD 1.1 5.5 7.6 9.9 (63)

GOALS
Port Adelaide:
Wingard 3, Gray 2, Impey, Westhoff, Schulz, Monfries
Collingwood: Pendlebury, Witts, Crisp, White, Oxley, Fasolo, De Goey, Adams, Elliot

BEST
Port Adelaide:
Hombsch, Wines, Gray, Westhoff, Wingard, Boak, Broadbent
Collingwood: Varcoe, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Swan

INJURIES
Port Adelaide:
Nil
Collingwood: Broomhead (shoulder)

SUBSTITUTES
Port Adelaide:
Brendon Ah Chee replaced Matthew Lobbe at three-quarter time
Collingwood: Jordan De Goey replaced Tim Broomhead (shoulder) in the third quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Nicholls, Kamolins, Meredith

Official crowd: 45,418 at Adelaide Oval

Really pleased to see TV going so well for you. He was an absolute favorite of mine and I was gutted when he left. Still, I knew his form had been poor and I wasn't surprised he was moved on. He has been twice the player for you and I am getting a lot of pleasure watching him run and kick and tackle at maximum confidence and fluency. Just wish he was still in the hoops. Well done Pies for getting the best out of him and reinstating him as an asset to the game.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
He has been a revelation.

I feel like I rave about his efforts every week, he's easily my favourite player now. How good was it when he intercepted a handball in the centre, got the ball forward and followed to be involved in the next play?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like I rave about his efforts every week, he's easily my favourite player now. How good was it when he intercepted a handball in the centre, got the ball forward and followed to be involved in the next play?!
Some of our players should learn from him, he is one of few that isn't mentally piss weak under pressure. Super cool head and excellent decision making. His second and third attempts get me so excited, he just wants the ball more than anyone else. This is how footy should be played, really good role model for our youngsters coming through.

Our 2014 recruiting has probably been the best since 2009 when we got Jolly and Ball.

On top of the classy player we knew he was, he has been incredibly consistent, and has been showing so much grunt that I dont think any of us knew he had... some of those tackles tonight were great.

I was cautiously optimistic about this trade when it went through, but I couldn't be happier with how Trav has turned out.

Whenever he gets near the ball, he wins it with the cleanest hands in the team and an extremely underrated contested game.

His kicking is genuinely elite. He never wastes a possession.

He's the hardest worker in the side by some margin. Nobody runs longer or harder than Trav.

He and Williams are our best defensive pressure players by an absolute mile. Whenever we're under the pump, desperate for a lift, hanging on by a fingernail - it's always Trav who somehow wins a crucial one-on-one or lays a goal saving tackle.

He honestly might be our best performed player this season. Only Scott Pendlebury would have genuine claims on the Copeland ahead of him.

Bravo, Trav. Thanks for playing your absolute heart out every single week. You're a jet.

Pretty sure there is a post of me saying how Trav will "be good depth for our VFL, but I can't see him ever getting a game in our best 22".... Well... He's in our best 5-10 atm, and won't be playing VFL any time soon.

His tackling pressure is incredible.
His slight-of-hand-like pick-ups and dish-offs are first class.
His vision is second only to Pendlebury (who is a freak).
His unselfish approach to his footy is a breath of fresh air.

Well done Trav. You've won this guy over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back