Opinion Treloar, meet kitchen sink

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. He doesn't have anywhere near the running capacity. People are selling Richo's incredible athletic ability well short to suggest guys like Griff and Beanie could do the same thing. Richo was a freak.

Vickery has never played CHF. He is a genuine ruckman. A combo of he and Griff can be a great pairing, certainly good enough not to spend on another ruckman what we would get more value from elsewhere. We have finite resources, and a limited number of spots in the team. We need mids, running backs, small forwards and even a key defender more than we need another ruck. Priorities.

There is no such thing as a true CHF anymore.

He was good on the weekend playing the high forward and leading up to the wing/hbf taking some big marks. About as close to a CHF as you get.

No way known that the bolded are untouchable. I'd rather keep all of them obviously, but I'd say we only have 6-7 players max that we wouldn't entertain realistic offers for.
Yes they are untouchable...only one that is not untouchable is Grigg I would say

Okay, I might cop some heat for suggesting this, but I'd seriously consider the following:

Out - Vlastuin + 1st rounder

In - Treloar + Bugg/Kennedy

I love Vlas, but this is the kind of trade we'd have to agree to in order to land Treloar IMO.

I am thinking we might be better off keeping the draft pick and player and waiting for Dangerfield via FA

Last edited:

No way known that the bolded are untouchable. I'd rather keep all of them obviously, but I'd say we only have 6-7 players max that we wouldn't entertain realistic offers for.

Trouble with losing the likes of Griff and TV is the structure gets thrown out which means difficult to replace and therefore forget short term premiership prospects which would not be ideal IMO

Time to be careful about who to trade for prospective champions. Some of us remember the Richmond debacle of the 1980s when we traded Graeme Teasdale (future Brownlow medalist), Francis Jackson and a third player, whose name escapes me at the moment, for John Pitura. Pitura only played with us for another couple of years while the discards rubbed it into our faces for many years to come. We are in a very good place at the moment and I'd hate to see player group stability destroyed for illusory short term gains.

Time to be careful about who to trade for prospective champions. Some of us remember the Richmond debacle of the 1980s when we traded Graeme Teasdale (future Brownlow medalist), Francis Jackson and a third player, whose name escapes me at the moment, for John Pitura. Pitura only played with us for another couple of years while the discards rubbed it into our faces for many years to come. We are in a very good place at the moment and I'd hate to see player group stability destroyed for illusory short term gains.

Apart from that and retaining value short term and going forward I am favouring FA targets and taking the draft picks to the draft atm.

Unless a good deal is possible I have no issue missing on Treloar who I think is staying at GWS regardless anyway. We need a taller mid anyway and apparently Treloar is only 182cm. Won't happen but someone like P Cripps would be more ideal IMO.

If you could get Treloar at good value of course one would snap him up because he is a locked and loaded gem but I can't see that happening tbh

Last edited:
Vickery has never played CHF. He is a genuine ruckman. A combo of he and Griff can be a great pairing, certainly good enough not to spend on another ruckman what we would get more value from elsewhere. We have finite resources, and a limited number of spots in the team. We need mids, running backs, small forwards and even a key defender more than we need another ruck. Priorities.

Recruited as a ruckman and I believe had the better of old mate Nic Nat in the Nationals in their draft year. I've said a number of times this year using Vickery with Griffiths as relief in the future would also allow us to play McBean if we wanted to stick with the 3 tall forwards set up in the future. Watching him on Friday night it was a pretty good indication of the type of ruck/forward he could be when given the number 1 role once Maric moves on.

brian (the whale) Roberts, and in the 70's

NO I dont hate him but really starting to think he wont be any more than just an average player that you can pickup for not much in any draft or state league comp and may as well just cut our losses and see if we can salvage something for our investment in him and if he can be used to facilitate a better player coming in then so be it.

Has played 70 games and i struggle to think of 5 games where i have said to myself this player has something special, Always seems to be injured or unfit and never in 5 years gets a full pre season - Dont you ever think that maybe his body is just not upto the elite level ?

There also isnt many players that after being in an AFL club after 5 seasons has the body shape and definition that conca has, Just seems that he will roll along for another 3-4 years exactly the way he has for the last 5 and not really do much and eventually be a fringe player at most

Please tell me that you have confidence in conca that he will become a 25-30 possesion player

I have said repeatedly (and copped abuse for it) that if we can get a good deal for Conca, it may be best to take that deal.... I'm also equally happy to keep him knowing that he will be a solid player for us but accepting the fact he will most likely not deliver on the hopes we had for a no.6 draft pick....

Okay, I might cop some heat for suggesting this, but I'd seriously consider the following:

I love Vlas, but this is the kind of trade we'd have to agree to in order to land Treloar IMO.

I'm giving you heat.... ridiculous idea. Would give up Conca before Vlas....

Vlaustin would be in the untouchable list along with Jack, Ellis x 2, Martin, Cotch, Lids, Edwards, Rance, Houli, Miles, Vickery, Griff, Grigg.

Asthbury and 1st rounder maybe.

Maybe the word untouchable is the wrong one, but those players aren't going anywhere for 2 simple reasons.

1. They are important elements to the team and game plan.

2. They are worth a lot more to us than another club would pay.
In other words a REALISTIC OFFER would not cut it at all.

Edwards is vital in clearances and provides the speed and crumbing abilities we lack at times.
Miles is one of our main extractors.
Houli is our quarterback kicker from defence that gives us run from down back
Vickery is just coming good and a 200=cm forward that can play ruck and kick goals is very valuable and hard to find.
Griff - see Vickery. Still plenty of upside with him.
Grigg - underrated outside player with a mature body that can tag and provides run.

If someone knocked on your door and offered double or triple market value then you would sell. If that was the case then nobody would be untouchable, but that is not realistic.

Last edited:
I'm giving you heat.... ridiculous idea. Would give up Conca before Vlas....

Of course you would, I would too. What I'm saying is Treloar would cost something in that ball park. You've got to give up something of value to get something of value in return. Our first pick and a fringe player wouldn't cut it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course you would, I would too. What I'm saying is Treloar would cost something in that ball park. You've got to give up something of value to get something of value in return. Our first pick and a fringe player wouldn't cut it.

Our first and a gun would be too much IMO.

Furthermore why would we want Bugg/Kennedy?

I would have thought Bugg and Kennedy are counterproductive as we would need the cap space for other targets

Might need a third party to get something done and possible trade out a few players

Might even get Treloar and another of their handy players that suit us and we trade a few players to them and possible other parties with picks.

Eg. we might get Treloar and Tomlinson by trading out pick 1 plus a few other players maybe 3 or 4 involving other clubs.

Its hard though, wouldn't mind Haynes tbh and some others could be handy. We don't want to give away too much either and chew up too much of our cap as well

Last edited:
no, no, no, spent a fair bit of time around GCFC, and harley himself, very unprofessional, has issues with social behaviour, and doesn't respect his body.

that calf niggle that he had last year, should've been a 1 weeker at most, but instead of rehabbing and doing his recovery, he's out for dinners, on his feet far too late, shrugging off training to sit on the masseuse bench. missed a lot more footy than he should've.

doesn't take the game seriously, i reckon he'll be back in WA in the next 2-3 years, and out of football in 5 years.
He comes across that way........

I hear what you are saying but I think Vlas would be more valuable to us in future.... Conca isn't fringe... he's just injured... would they accept Hampson? :rolleyes:

I think if Treloar wants to leave, we can play a bit harder ball with GWS....

Mate, are you serious? Laughable. Vlas will be a better footballer than Treloar, and any first round pick we have made in recent years has been gold IMO. No way would the Club look at that deal IMO.

Just keep doing what we have been doing. Keep first round pick and use it wisely building the list with youthful talent through the draft.

we need to be careful as we can see what we have already can play at the highest level

so we can't trade anyone that is imperative to the structure - which is why talk of Griff and Vick is rediculous

first draft pick won't be enough, but maybe an Astbury/Madonna might help - but look at it from another view - would we be happy trading a Dusty for their first round (regardless of it being earlier than ours), and a key position that was injury prone and not playing regular senior footy - NUP

we need to throw the cash, and make him make them trade for what we are offering - thats the trick - and unsure whether we have enough to be able to pull it off (not the cash side)

the big hope we have is their cap space - they might need to offload one of these to keep the Kelly's, etc they have already been 'given'

front end the shisen out of the contract offer
If Dusty was wanting to leave and chose the Giants as the club of his choice, sure as fans we'd all be sitting here like we were a couple of years back, and demanding a couple of first round picks or a first round pick and a gun player. But at the end of the day when all the Giants had to offer was a mid first round pick and a fringe 22 player we'd take it and move on rather than lose him for nothing. Same thing would happen here is Treloar was to go to the Giants and say he wants out and nominated us as the club of choice.

As I understand it the Giants have an Academy kid or 2 in their sights for the draft. To get them both they'll need another high pick or 2. So I'd seriously consider offering them our first 2 picks for Treloar and someone like Bugg or Kennedy or Buntine or someone along those lines. If need be throw in one of our fringe players going the other way as well depending on what is needed to make it a fair deal.

As I understand it the Giants have an Academy kid or 2 in their sights for the draft. To get them both they'll need another high pick or 2. So I'd seriously consider offering them our first 2 picks for Treloar and someone like Bugg or Kennedy or Buntine or someone along those lines. If need be throw in one of our fringe players going the other way as well depending on what is needed to make it a fair deal.

Could be the go...

Regarding Vlas, he isn't going anywhere.

If Dusty was wanting to leave and chose the Giants as the club of his choice, sure as fans we'd all be sitting here like we were a couple of years back, and demanding a couple of first round picks or a first round pick and a gun player. But at the end of the day when all the Giants had to offer was a mid first round pick and a fringe 22 player we'd take it and move on rather than lose him for nothing. Same thing would happen here is Treloar was to go to the Giants and say he wants out and nominated us as the club of choice.

Hopper is maybe a 10-15 selection at this stage, but his star is rising.

Kennedy is mid 30s. Any talk of them being ranked higher is a furphy and driven by Eddie McGuire puppets.

Kennedy (academy kid) hadn't even been mentioned until the last month, and suddenly he is a top 10? And now he's broken his leg badly and not playing for the rest of the year...Still a Top 10?

Honestly I prefer Dusty to stay at RFC and Treloar can stay at GWS.

I am happy to give up pick 1 for other players anyway with less profile and cost than Treloar.

The player I am most interested in atm is Haynes

Kennedy is mid 30s. Any talk of them being ranked higher is a furphy and driven by Eddie McGuire puppets.

Kennedy (academy kid) hadn't even been mentioned until the last month, and suddenly he is a top 10? And now he's broken his leg badly and not playing for the rest of the year...Still a Top 10?

I've been hearing top ten for both since last year so it hasn't come from nowhere.

You know who I would be interested in, Dom Tyson who is not there anymore.

But I still think RFC could pick up a Tomlinson, to Haynes or others like Bugg, Wilson etc.. to help with picks if it suits you guys.

It is not like we do not have holes in our team.

Just requires a bit of creativity to get the right fit IMO.

Side like West Coast might get involved as you have a few WA players to.

Could be 3-way trades or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back