UEFA Champions League SF: Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is absolutely nothing wrong to parking the bus in an European away tie, that's exactly what you should do

I'm pretty sure the Chelsea fans would seek the trophy first, that's the greatest entertainment
Many, many times Liverpool played this way in first leg away ties, nothing new here. The only thing Chelsea failed to do was score that away goal, could be vital, time will tell.

There is absolutely nothing wrong to parking the bus in an European away tie, that's exactly what you should do

I'm pretty sure the Chelsea fans would seek the trophy first, that's the greatest entertainment

There's nothing wrong with parking the bus.

There's something wrong with being a condescending,hypocritical arsehole when people do it against you, or you do it against them and then blame them for not attacking enough.

when cahill was dragged down at the corner and the ref was too much of a coward to call it
problem was that was before he actually kicked the ball or went to kick it. maybe my understanding of the rules is wrong but can you award a penalty for something that happens when the ball isn't in play?

problem was that was before he actually kicked the ball or went to kick it. maybe my understanding of the rules is wrong but can you award a penalty for something that happens when the ball isn't in play?
Would be regarded as an off the ball incident.

I would say a free kick in the box in this instance.

I am genuinely astonished that Luiz and Ramires were the two midfielders that managed to avoid getting a yellow card.

Chelsea are gonna be ****** without Terry though. Ivanovic will probably have to play as a centre back now and that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Chelsea's suspensions won't hurt them.

Chelsea will play with a midfield trio of

Luiz--Ramires
Oscar

Out of necessity. That will be ok.

Schurrle will start the second leg as will Torres and for their sake hopefully Hazard.

Defence will be the issue though - Ivanovic will switch to centre back, Cahill will partner him, Azpilicueta will play right and the dodgy looking Ashley Cole will play on the left. (he was ok this morning, nothing more)

Not sure I rate Ivanovic that highly as a central defender. Prefer him as right back. And the other thing is the value of the settled and reliable partnership. You can't understate the importance of having two central defenders that are match hardeded in playing together - this is part of the reason Chelsea's defence has been far and away the best. The ability to pick the same two week after week, game after game. Ivanovic and Cahill will be interesting. They might not suit each other. Who knows.

Atletico created a couple of good headed chances this morning but didn't really come close to capatilising on them. They really didn't have the weapons to break down a disciplined and very defensive Chelsea. The pressure they put on wasn't nearly enough. Costa didn't fire but still had a couple of decent chances.

Their side and approach for the second leg will be interesting. I suppose they'll probably want to sit back and counter but Chelsea will probably be equally hesitant so they may end up dominating possession again.

Think 0-0 was a fair result this morning though. Terrible game to watch but it's a high stakes affair and the stakes make it watchable.

and btw - Simeone's dress sense is terrible not worse than Kalac's though. SBS obviously don't have wardrobe people.

No, you are absolutely correct AC. If the ball is out of play a free kick cannot be awarded or a foul paid. That is what the rules clearly state.

Costa didn't fire but still had a couple of decent chances.
It was funny listening to Talk Sport today, they genuinely don't rate Costa. They think he crumbles against decent opposition and is nowhere near as good as everyone thinks he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right. How do you think he would go in a PL side?

It'd be interesting, I think he's gone through a bit of a purple patch this season so I don't think he'd be able to sustain it at the rate he's scoring now. I still think he'd be a good signing, probably good for an odd 20-25 goals a season. Reminds of Negredo for some reason, can't think why though.

I guess we'll find out next season;)
I'd rather be patient with Lukaku to be honest. I still can't believe he's 20 years old. He will be an absolute beast in the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back