FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched The Red Riding Trilogy over one sitting. One of the better things to come out of Britain. The cast was very impressive and while the final part was a bit weak overall it was great. Very dark series.

S3 of The Bridge (Swedish/Danish) started last weekend here., It's great stuff, these Scandis really know how to do a good cop series.

Just watched The Red Riding Trilogy over one sitting. One of the better things to come out of Britain. The cast was very impressive and while the final part was a bit weak overall it was great. Very dark series.

Quality. Read the books prior to the series being made. James Ellroy with a Yorkshire accent

Season 3 of The Bridge is easily the best so far. That, and the peerless Fargo, are comfortably the best things on UK TV at the moment.

Season 3 of The Bridge is easily the best so far.

yeah it's a good show, very funny at times. & Helin is hardly recognisable when she smiles

330px-Sofia_Helin_2012_%28cropped%29.jpg

Cuffs is pretty soapy, more in the vein of The Bill than anything else. Watchable, but certainly not unmissable.

Season finale of The Bridge III was last night. Fantastic stuff, what a performance it is from Sofia Helin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not realise Series four of Luther would only be two episodes long, I was expecting four. It's incredibly disappointing already, now it feels even worse somehow knowing that was it.

Did not realise Series four of Luther would only be two episodes long, I was expecting four. It's incredibly disappointing already, now it feels even worse somehow knowing that was it.

I have went back and watched season 1-3 of luther....in order to prepare myself for the 2 episodes of s4....hope the last post is wrong - but lets see how we go....

Great show!

I have went back and watched season 1-3 of luther....in order to prepare myself for the 2 episodes of s4....hope the last post is wrong - but lets see how we go....

Great show!

I loved season 4 for the most part

Only one thing I didn't really like you will figure it out once you watch

Seems to me Luther is becoming like the Cumberbatch Sherlocks: witty and different when it first started, but now beginning to believe its own hype to the extent that the writers feel able to fob us with a two episode 'series', for which we should presumably be grateful. And it's pretty thin stuff. I find it hard to believe that if the first of the two-parter had been the first any of us had ever seen of Luther, we wouldn't all be shrugging our shoulders? But now we've all bought into Luther/Idris Elba...

Seems to me Luther is becoming like the Cumberbatch Sherlocks: witty and different when it first started, but now beginning to believe its own hype to the extent that the writers feel able to fob us with a two episode 'series', for which we should presumably be grateful. And it's pretty thin stuff. I find it hard to believe that if the first of the two-parter had been the first any of us had ever seen of Luther, we wouldn't all be shrugging our shoulders? But now we've all bought into Luther/Idris Elba...

Elba has blown up now he's prob super busy and they never had to do a 4th season at all, it's not like they are cutting from 8 or 12 episodes to 2 either.

The way it ended though it could have done for another 2 episodes to finish the story instead of leaving it like they did

River anyone?

Pretty well liked, to be fair, in the UK. I didn't care for it much. I just about held on to watch it all, but without any great enthusiasm.

It's yet another 'tec beset by personal woes to the extent that he's virtually catatonic, but still remains in his job.

Basically it's Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) meets Luther. But not as good as that sounds. I thought the two leads did a great job with a difficult script, but really it's not half as clever as it thinks it is. The underlying plot is pretty much all McGuffin anyway.

Some people here said, with a straight face, that "it was a profound meditation on bereavement and loss". My take was as per third paragraph above. See who you agree with.

If it's catatonic 'tecs you want, I actually prefer Welsh series Y Gwyll (Hinterland). Set in the one of the Welsh-speaking areas of West Wales, it's (realistically) partly in English and partly in Welsh (sub-titled). Its gloomy tone is reflected in the magnificent scenery, reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands. I've been out there a few times on my motorbike, and this series has encouraged me to do more next year when the weather improves; I'm only 50 miles from Wales.

Thanks for the heads up on Cuffs. Won't waste the bandwidth on it.

I see the BBC has a new show Dickensian. It rolls all Dickens' good work into one series where different characters cross paths.

Dickens invented the concept of a series. He released a lot of his work in weekly installments in The Times. The man was a champion of the underdog and the down trodden. He hated the legal profession and he often depicted lawyers as the most despicable people on earth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back