Unpopular Opinions (Wrestling Edition)

Even with all these international wrestlers heading to the WWE, an American will always be the face of the company in our lifetimes.

VinceRusso.png

"If you want Lucha Libre, go to Japan!"

Undertaker is just nostalgia.
A lot of the promos I agree are nostalgia, but his matches have been objectively great for the past few WM's. I wouldn't call that just nostalgia.

*I think Roman Reigns is the weakest of the three Shield members, at this point, and I think Rollins and Ambrose deserve to be pushed before him.
*I actually like Batista and I'm glad he came back - I don't think he should've won the Rumble though
*Dolph Ziggler is not main event level - however the way they're using him at the moment is wrong, he should be fighting for the midcard titles, or at least in a heel tag team with Miz.

Just a few off the top of my head

Some others;

The Shield is the best wrestling stable in the last 15+ years
Christian is the most underutilized wrestler ever.
Cody Rhodes has the best moveset in WWE today.
Wade Barrett is very overrated.

• CM Punk is massively overrated and wouldn't be anywhere as popular if it weren't for his famous "pipe-bomb", which to me is as good as a cheap pop.
  • John Cena doesn't suck, his types have a place in pro-wrestling and hating him is not a requirement to being a "true" wrestling fan.
  • Seamus does not need a heel-turn.
  • AJ Lee - see CM Punk.

• CM Punk is massively overrated and wouldn't be anywhere as popular if it weren't for his famous "pipe-bomb", which to me is as good as a cheap pop.
  • John Cena doesn't suck, his types have a place in pro-wrestling and hating him is not a requirement to being a "true" wrestling fan.
  • Seamus does not need a heel-turn.
  • AJ Lee - see CM Punk.

Agree completely with this. There are many, many more things wrong with pro-wrestling today than him.

davywap do you watch with your kids?
Oh man you are so smart for saying that, you must be a true wrestling fan and know way more than me about wrestling. Not that it matters, but I'm not much of a Cena fan, I see his in-ring limitations and find some of his promos way too cheesy, but I'm not so much of a tool that I feel the need to hate him just because everyone else on the internet does, I can see his value and why he is constantly at the top of the company.

It was a real question.

People get Cena makes money but that doesn't make him less extremely stale. People would have cracked it if Austin and Rock were full-time main players for 9 years but kept doing the exact same thing over and over.

Was going to post something similar to this. Just because there is a place for guys like Cena, which with I agree completely, doesn't mean people are wrong to be sick of him. Imagine if the stars of all of the popular shows on TV never experienced any character development and change? People would start turning off that's for sure. As you mentioned, not even The Rock and Stone Cold went this long without changing their characters. I'm not a full-blown Cena hater, but I see why people hate him. He can cut a good promo, and can wrestle a great match, but he just needs a change. Not even a heel turn, just a change.

What I'm beginning to enjoy is the fact that the crowd are beginning to give guys like The Wyatts, The Shield, Cesaro, Daniel Bryan (obviously) genuinely good reactions. Not that they've never got good reactions, but I think people now know how good these guys can really be and just enjoy seeing them out there. I'd love for Cena to be in the mainevent scene for a few years yet. I don't think he needs another World Title, but his credibility is so big that a good feud with a guy like Wyatt, Cesaro or Reigns, for example, could be the catalyst to them being legitimised as main eventers. Plus, there's still some definite money-matches or 'dream matches' that Cena could be a part of. Cena vs Sting, Cena vs Taker for example.

Oh man you are so smart for saying that, you must be a true wrestling fan and know way more than me about wrestling. Not that it matters, but I'm not much of a Cena fan, I see his in-ring limitations and find some of his promos way too cheesy, but I'm not so much of a tool that I feel the need to hate him just because everyone else on the internet does, I can see his value and why he is constantly at the top of the company.

When I hear guys like Kurt Angle and others say that he's easy to work with, then promoters like Cornette say he turns up on time, doesn't complain, is professional and has no issues I find it pretty hard to hate him. He's not in my favourite guys to watch but there are a lot of guys I'd boot before him.

I always thought Edge was overrated and never believed him as a top star. I can't really put my finger on it but he always seemed like just a mid card talent to me. He was solid in all aspects but I always thought he was missing something.

Also with the WWE Network and going back watching the WCW PPVs of the late nineties has me feeling less fondly about the NWO. I was just a kid watching it when it happened so it's always had that good nostalgic feelings for me, but watching it now and the whole NWO after it was just the outsiders and Hogans sucked. Should have just stayed those guys and maybe added Bischoff as well. Pretty much all PPVS of 97-99 were terrible because of the continual non-finishes and swerve of the NWO in the Main Event. The original angle helped shoot WCW into huge success but they ultimately took it far and ruined the product. So my unpopular opinion is that NWO was the best and worst thing to happen to WCW.

Last edited:
I always thought Edge was overrated and never believed him as a top star. I can't really put my finger on it but he always seemed like just a mid card talent to me. He was solid in all aspects but I always thought he was missing something.

I never really warmed to Edge as a singles star.... i wanted Christian to get THE push when they originally split up as i thought he was the more talented of the duo.

Everyone savages Christian these days the wrestling community on neogaf take pot shots at him regularly.

Maybe, but his matches at recent manias have been MOTY or very close. And he isn't being carried through these matches either.

I thought the Shawn Michaels matches were a bit overrated, and I expected the HIAC to have been a bit more brutal than it was.

I guess those are unpopular opinions?

Back