Grand Slam US Open 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

26 UE FOREHAND errors by Sabalenka. add in everything else, you get 46, including 6 DF's/

Coco had 13/19 winners/UE for the entire match.

that is all I have to say. Tells you all you need to know. Coco played well, dont get me wrong. She forced the errors with her movement, anticipation and varied strokes, but Sabalenka, learn to get the ball in the court. The answer is not always "hit ball harder". Sure, that might work against a majority of players, but there is a reason Muchova, Jabour and now Coco have all found success against her at slams;. Coco is just a less crafty but better movement version of the above.

26 UE FOREHAND errors by Sabalenka. add in everything else, you get 46, including 6 DF's/

Coco had 13/19 winners/UE for the entire match.

that is all I have to say. Tells you all you need to know. Coco played well, dont get me wrong. She forced the errors with her movement, anticipation and varied strokes, but Sabalenka, learn to get the ball in the court. The answer is not always "hit ball harder". Sure, that might work against a majority of players, but there is a reason Muchova, Jabour and now Coco have all found success against her at slams;. Coco is just a less crafty but better movement version of the above.
It wasn't her day, but she has got to no.1 in the world playing the same way so not too much wrong with her game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't her day, but she has got to no.1 in the world playing the same way so not too much wrong with her game.
true.

But her record from Grand Slam semis onwards is in Novak territory, but in reverse. 2/6 W/L in semis and now 1/1 in finals.

And that includes beating Magda Linette, which is about a softer draw you can dream about for a semi. Her other wins come from Keys and Rybakina, who are like her, power hitters with little craft. You hit ball, I hit harder, which suits Sabalenka to the tee.

I just think Swiatek, the world number 2, has a glaring weakness for power hitters and getting smashed off-court. Sabalenka has a glaring weakness for the defensive crafty players in big matches, where she gets tense and her solution is to hit harder. Both also are unable to "play ugly" and ground out games when the momentum is against them. They can get smashed in sets of tennis but can also smash opponents.

WTA is in an interesting place.

Not a pretty match. In the end, it's a better outcome for tennis, Coco is one of the few mega stars that this sport has even if you feel like that she has things in her game to improve and hoping now she has this slam title that this will free up to improve that forehand (and not fall apart like other first time slam champs).

The mental strength is certainly there, to be able turn it around after the horrendous first set. Congrats to her.

Sablenka, I'll admit I'm not a fan of hers personally gamestyle or personalty wise but as others have said, she could be a bit mentally stronger/not spray so many errors she could be winning more of these things

Its official. we do the best trophy presentation. *

Just had the mic and let the players do a speech. We dont want "questions". That is what the press conference is for.

*I cant recall what the French Do.

I think a interview before the ceremony at the French from memory

Until the North American hard-court in which Gauff won Ciccinatti, Washington and the US Open her season had been middling. She's poor on clay and limited on grass - I am unsure of her future career trajectory.

I don't get the hate on Coco, she seems like a nice person, very well mannered and wants to get better. The choice of Gilbert was brillant but I only see that short term. On Sablenka she is her own worse enemy. Agree the final wasn't brillant but Coco's defensive game was of a high standard. I didn't watch the ceremony I never do and agree the US presentation is the worse. Onto the men's final I think 50/50 chance for either player. Swiatek's game is not that great on grass yet. Osaka was only really good on hard courts. So you can't really say that Coco's game is limited on other surfaces. She is only 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back