Society & Culture Vale Cecil the Lion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all well and good that Gervais does what he does, but is he actually physically doing anything to stop them?

It's all well and good that Gervais does what he does, but is he actually physically doing anything to stop them?
He's awaring people.

11826006_10153435760750498_579821786778128418_n.jpg

It's a Lion....

Are we supposed to booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the guy that killed it ?

The guy that lured the lion out of a national park, shot it with an arrow & left it to run around for another 2 days before shotgunning it to death? You mean that guy?

Dunno if 'booing' is appropriate, maybe a lifetime worldwide ban from all hunting reserves might be a start.

The guy that lured the lion out of a national park, shot it with an arrow & left it to run around for another 2 days before shotgunning it to death? You mean that guy?

Dunno if 'booing' is appropriate, maybe a lifetime worldwide ban from all hunting reserves might be a start.

Better contact McGrath and find out how he got away with it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im assuming thats a Buffalo and was shot in Aust... if so not an issue they are a major pest
You're being hypocritical. Either trophy hunting is wrong or it isn't. Killing an animal for population control is a valid reason to do so, posing in front of it and smiling like a goofball like it's something to be proud of really isn't. What it really boils down to, is killing purely out of vanity and enjoyment. In that context, whether it's a lion or a buffalo really doesn't matter.

In my view, someone that shoots a rabbit, wounds it and waits over a day for it to finally die and then pose in front of his corpse smiling is just as much of a ******* as someone who does that to a lion. Whether the lion is endangered, or the rabbit a common pest, is irrelevant to the fact that both people would be sadistic douchebags.

Quite frankly, it unsettles me more that he shot this animal and let it bleed out slowly over the course of 40 hours rather than the fact it's some celebrity lion. I don't care what the lion's name is, or that it's famous. It's what the guy did in the first place that's important.

Lions are endangered and people don't eat them. What point is this meme supposed to make?

The point is to demonstrate how rife Speciesiscm is in our society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/animals/rights/speciesism.shtml

Why are Lions endangered in the first place? Because of how many of them continue to be slaughtered by humans.

Irrespective of if the animal is endangered or not, it is still a living, sentient creature being that is worthy of life. The point of the meme is to demonstrate the correlation between the Lion and the on average 3,000 animals that are slaughtered every second of every day.

There is no distinction between them in terms of their will to live. None of them consent to death.

Serious question - do any species suicide like humans?

Not species that have sex then die.

Great question, its been years since I did any reading about it but don't recall seeing anything conclusive on the topic.

There was some research to indicate some beings that work in 'colonies' such as ants, bees etc can sacrifice themselves if the colony is at risk.

Whether that constitutes suicide (as we define it), I'm not sure.

There was some research to indicate some beings that work in 'colonies' such as ants, bees etc can sacrifice themselves if the colony is at risk.

It's a weird and morbid thing to think about. But interesting all the same.

From my limited psychological background if an animal can suicide then it means it has some method of valuing its own (perceived) self worth against its (perceived) value of the society it lives in.

It's a weird and morbid thing to think about. But interesting all the same.

From my limited psychological background if an animal can suicide then it means it has some method of valuing its own (perceived) self worth against its (perceived) value of the society it lives in.

Yes it can be a controversial and uncomfortable topic.

What isn't in doubt though if you watch the final moments of animal in a slaughterhouse, is its uncompromising will to live and sheer fear of death and harm. That's why I struggle to differentiate between those who care only for an animal if its endangered, versus the mass slaughter of animals everyday for food etc.

Anyway, back to the question you raised about self harm. This is quite an interesting article. Not the easiest thing to read, but quite relevant.

https://www.thedodo.com/community/BobComis/the-last-pig-459345722.html

What is the thrill of the trophy hunt? I could understand if it were dangerous etc, people get a kick out of that, but looking on YouTube (from limited viewing), it just looks like a turkey shoot. These guys are a long, long way from the animal, often in large, running vehicles, and using military style weapons to take down a defenceless animal who doesn't even know they're there.

Is there anything to it except bloodlust? Any hunters here?

The point is to demonstrate how rife Speciesiscm is in our society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/animals/rights/speciesism.shtml

Why are Lions endangered in the first place? Because of how many of them continue to be slaughtered by humans.

Irrespective of if the animal is endangered or not, it is still a living, sentient creature being that is worthy of life. The point of the meme is to demonstrate the correlation between the Lion and the on average 3,000 animals that are slaughtered every second of every day.

There is no distinction between them in terms of their will to live. None of them consent to death.

I don't put much stock in specieism tbh. Seems absurd to me.

I have no problem with humans killing animals for meat. Ethically, I always buy free range meat. I will pay more to ensure that the animal I consume has had a decent life.

The distinction here (for me personally) is that lions are endangered and that this guy allegedly shot it and let it bleed out over an extended period of time, it would've been in pain for hours and hours, and that he did it for no other reason than that he is a ******* moron who sees behaviour like this as heroic in some way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back