VAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shoved a guy over from an offside position stopping him from clearing the ball.
The VAR determined correctly that the player could not get to the ball before Casemiro. They did check Varane because the BBC commentators (Shearer) mentioned it. Sportbible is a trash website designed to stoke controversy and employs click bait tactics. I've permanently blocked them on my facebook suggestions.

The VAR determined correctly that the player could not get to the ball before Casemiro. They did check Varane because the BBC commentators (Shearer) mentioned it.
He could have definitely got in the way of Casemiro's header and blocked the shot. Instead he's laying on the ground after being fouled by an interfering offside player.

He could have definitely got in the way of Casemiro's header and blocked the shot. Instead he's laying on the ground after being fouled by an interfering offside player.
I disagree. The speed that ball came off Casemiro's head (not to mention Casemiro is a good 2m in front of him, there is no way he would have got that ball unless he was the fastest person in the world over 10m (Apparently that is Antony according to ETH)

Varane was in an offside position and blocked the Forest player. It was very similar to the van Dijk header but this one was given as a goal. It would take Everton goggles of bias to not see the inconsistency.

Varane was in an offside position and blocked the Forest player. It was very similar to the van Dijk header but this one was given as a goal. It would take Everton goggles of bias to not see the inconsistency.
There is no inconsistency. I agree that he blocked a player in an offside position. The point was that he wasn't going to affect the play so it was inconsequential. Has nothing to do with being an Everton fan because if the Manchester United fans came into this forum more they'd bitch and moan that I hate them more. I dislike them both equally.

Shoved a guy over from an offside position stopping him from clearing the ball.
Haven't seen the goal, just the way the tweet was worded seemed like the only similarity was that they were both stood in an offside position.

Having experienced the refereeing in the Championship again this season, I think VAR is a necessary evil.

Have a look at this s**t in the QPR/WBA game this morning. It’s terrible.

I had to watch that 3 times to actually see the hand, can understand why the referee never saw it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a cost perspective, is it viable to have it down to say League 2?
It could be but I suspect the rich clubs wouldn't be prepared to give up a portion of their slice of pie to fund it.

Last edited:
Would love to hear the VAR audio on the Ederson penalty v Liverpool.
As I think Ederson deserves a red not for DOGSO (which would be double punishment and not correct to give a red) but a straight red for the tackle (in which it is correct to give the penalty as well”
Clearly they thought Ederson was playing the ball, but he was miles off, and he swung hard.

“Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.”

Would love to hear the VAR audio on the Ederson penalty v Liverpool.
As I think Ederson deserves a red not for DOGSO (which would be double punishment and not correct to give a red) but a straight red for the tackle (in which it is correct to give the penalty as well”
Clearly they thought Ederson was playing the ball, but he was miles off, and he swung hard.

“Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.”
Not a chance as it was a genuine attempt on the ball and he swung hard as that's what keepers do.

You - Darwin was denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.
Also you - Darwin can't finish obvious goal-scoring opportunities.
Say what? I didn't say it was DOGSO. He was never getting to that ball before it went out so it definitely wasn't DOGSO

Not a chance as it was a genuine attempt on the ball and he swung hard as that's what keepers do.
So do outfield players, yet for some reason they seem to get a lot of straight red cards for such actions.

Obviously won’t change anything so just interested to hear the VAR explanation.

Blatant last ditch penalty with studs up into Macs chest. We were robbed of the chance to win it at the death.

Oliver or the VAR just didn't have the balls to make the call as it was right at the end of the game with a title on the line.

Mac actually had to avoid Dokus boot catching him in the head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back