Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Just checked the times for nest weeks games

Why do Carlton get an 8 day break and GWS a 6 day break.....

And on top of that, their game is at 5.15pm instead of the usual 7.50pm on a Sat.night........so they can get home and get a good nights sleep, just in case they win.....:mad:

Now that breaks the tie.....I disliked both Melb and the Brown Paper Visy Bag boys equally before this.............now it's that mob by the length of the Banchang Bar Strip.....

And on top of that, their game is at 5.15pm instead of the usual 7.50pm on a Sat.night........so they can get home and get a good nights sleep, just in case they win.....:mad:

Now that breaks the tie.....I disliked both Melb and the Brown Paper Visy Bag boys equally before this.............now it's that mob by the length of the Banchang Bar Strip.....
The broncos are playing sat night, prob wanted it to lead into that?
Its got nothing to do with carlton. Its got to do with the pies, for the decade or longer the winner of the highest ranking QF winner gets the fri night.

The broncos are playing sat night, prob wanted it to lead into that?
Its got nothing to do with carlton. Its got to do with the pies, for the decade or longer the winner of the highest ranking QF winner gets the fri night.
I didn't want to read that..;) I just want to be left alone to hate on Carlton...:)...........I'm even seriously considering not watching The Front Bar next week.....don't know if I could sit thru Maher and Pang without throwing something at the tv...;)

I didn't want to read that..;) I just want to be left alone to hate on Carlton...:)...........I'm even seriously considering not watching The Front Bar next week.....don't know if I could sit thru Maher and Pang without throwing something at the tv...;)
hahaa
Carry on.
I'm all for hating Carlton.

They'll be smashed next week.Their luck will run out.

It’s so they can fly out after the game. Was mentioned on SEN during the week

Wasn't sure where else to put this but this is fantastic news for Gold Coast footy. Sounds like AB Patterson College is fully on board with funding proper Aussie rules facilities on their school grounds and I assume that means they will also set up their own footy sport excellence program as well as a local club that will compete in the lower level QFA competitions. With these new facilities at Arundel, we're slowly but surely filling in the gaps of GC suburbs that don't currently have local Aussie rules clubs. Labrador, Southport and Arundel are all neighbouring suburbs and will all have their own local footy clubs in the near future with this project. Hopefully we see more projects like this popping up over the next few years so we increase our grassroots footprint throughout the city.

Arundel land for new sporting hub as local clubs back much-needed facilities​

The developer seeking to repurpose part of the abandoned Arundel Hills Country Golf Club into a residential estate is gifting approximately seven hectares of the site to A.B. Paterson College for sporting fields and indoor stadiums in a move that has been heralded as a massive boost for local sporting clubs and the community.

As part of its commitment to delivering a lasting benefit for the community, Arundel Estate Developments has announced it will hand over 73 per cent of the former golf course land for community use, including almost approximately seven hectares to the College.

The College then intends to transform much of the former private members-only golf course into a new sporting hub for use by other local sporting clubs and organisations, amid the release of open green space for public use.

The detailed plan proposes the development of six tennis courts, two indoor basketball courts, two outdoor basketball courts, an indoor environmental centre for environmental studies, and an AFL-sized field to be used as a multi-purpose facility for AFL, soccer, cricket and rugby.

The sporting field will incorporate a club room, changing rooms, canteen, seating and carpark facilities for sporting clubs and the public, while the grounds will have lighting for night games and training.

Civil works for the new sporting hub will be undertaken by 3Group, a consortium which owns the dilapidated former Arundel Hills Country Club and golf course. A.B. Paterson College has agreed to fund the construction.

Local sporting clubs have also swung their support behind the proposal, citing the need for more open space on the Gold Coast to facilitate greater participation in sports activities.

The proposal aligns with the AFL Queensland Facilities Plan 2020-2025 which states that as AFL continues to grow in popularity across Queensland, it is vital for the Gold Coast region to increase facility capacity to cater for participation and population growth.

“Total participation in the Gold Coast region has shown strong growth over the last five years, increasing by 39 per cent since 2014. Total female participation has grown by 484 per cent since 2014 and now makes up 41 per cent of total participation,” said the report.

“Ensuring access to facilities that support existing participation and planning for new facilities in areas of population and participation growth is vital for AFL Queensland.”

Among the clubs supporting the proposal is the area’s biggest sporting organisation, The Southport Sharks AFL Club.

“The Southport Sharks objective is to grow AFL football on the Gold Coast,” said Sharks CEO Dean Bowtell.

“Underpinned by population growth and female participation, the game has grown considerably over the last 10 years. This has placed pressure on the demand for greenspace and any opportunity to secure additional playing fields within the region is supported.

“Given the proximity of the proposed playing field to our club, we would be able to utilise this greenspace to assist the current field constraints for our junior and senior football programs.”

Gold Coast Wildcats, the premier basketball club for the Runaway Bay, Arundel, Biggera Waters and Paradise Point areas, says the new facilities unlock significant potential for the club to grow.

“The Gold Coast Wildcats and the sport of basketball has seen strong year-on-year growth over the recent years,” said Nicholas Sinclair, the president of Gold Coast Wildcats Basketball Club.

“One of the future challenges to the competition is the continued growth of facilities to train and play games in.

“The new facilities in Arundel would be an ideal location for our growing club to train and could be used for games in the future.”

Several other local sporting clubs are also in full support of further training and playing fields becoming available including Southport Labrador Cricket Club, Musgrave Mustangs Soccer Club, Legends FC Soccer Club and Labrador Tigers AFL Club.

Gifting the former members-only golf course land is the centrepiece of Arundel Estate’s plans for the abandoned golf course site upon which the company has proposed to deliver a small-scale master-planned community comprising just 27 per cent of the 67ha site.

Apart from the new sporting hub, the remainder of the site will be retained as open space for recreational and environmental purposes.

Arundel Estate is planning to develop 380 lots for new houses, which would accommodate a community of up to 1,200 people amid the Gold Coast’s current housing crisis.

“We believe that gifting the bulk of this site to the school provides a great outcome for the community, not only for A.B. Paterson College which has grown to become a leading centre for learning on the Gold Coast over the past three decades, but for the many sporting clubs in throughout the area that are also looking for room to continue growing within their codes,” said Steven Kleytman, CEO of 3Group and developer of Arundel Estate Development .

“This new sporting hub will deliver state-of-the-art sporting facilities that are desperately needed amid the rapid growth of the local population, while also providing the public with open greenspace that they can access every day.

A.B. Paterson College, which opened in 1991 with just 262 students, has grown to support a student community of more than 1,600 students with a waiting list.

“This development offers a number of rare and important opportunities for the College, and our entire school community would be significantly disadvantaged were it not to proceed,” said Joanne Sheehy, Principal of A.B. Paterson College.

“This development has presented us with an opportunity to create significant new sporting facilities to help us develop more of those well-rounded future leaders our community needs.

“As well as adding to the facilities of the College, the development will add critical mass to the local community. We strongly encourage Gold Coast City Council to allow this development to proceed to the next stage for the benefit of everyone in our College community.”

Arundel Estate earlier this year announced plans to transform part of the Arundel Country Club into an environmentally focused and sensitively integrated residential community while opening up the remaining land to educational and community uses as well as environmental reserve targeting a restoration of koala habitat.

Under the proposal put forward by Arundel Estates, just 27 per cent of this site will be used to deliver an additional 380 lots for detached dwellings to accommodate up to 1,200 residents releasing much-needed housing supply through an infill development in light of the shortage of housing on the Gold Coast.

The Gold Coast City Council is currently assessing the master planned development by Arundel Estate Developments.
2307_EXT_Recreation_High_Opt2_F_web-1536x1097.jpg

Brisbane didn’t deserve to win. Collingwood’s bad kicking kept the Lions in it for most of the game.

But boy oh boy did I not like that advantage call in the dying seconds. That rule will be talked about for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List of ex suns premiership players

Dion Prestia
Tom Lynch
Josh Caddy
Steven May
Oleg Markov

Anyone else to add to the list?

Brisbane didn’t deserve to win. Collingwood’s bad kicking kept the Lions in it for most of the game.

But boy oh boy did I not like that advantage call in the dying seconds. That rule will be talked about for a while now.
Yeah Brisbane fans have a right to feel hard done by. A great effort by the Lions none the less. Generally you’ve got to lose a GF though to really drive premiership success. This will drive them to win next time.

Feel for Brisbane. I reckon they win that if they had Zorko and his awe inspiring leadership out there playing today. Didn’t see him mentioned anywhere as a late out?. :p
He had an urgent meeting to whine about something else Touk did to him a few years ago
Obviously the meeting was somewhere a long way away from the MCG
Touk so sad for him I bet

On the positive side, surely it gives our group great confidence knowing they absolutely pantsed the team that went within a kick of winning it all (albeit at home) and we’ve gone and added Damien bloody Hardwick to the coaching staff.

We are closer than we may think we are if the group believes in themselves and the new gameplan.

On the positive side, surely it gives our group great confidence knowing they absolutely pantsed the team that went within a kick of winning it all (albeit at home) and we’ve gone and added Damien bloody Hardwick to the coaching staff.

We are closer than we may think we are if the group believes in themselves and the new gameplan.
This was one of the reasons I was hoping Brisbane won as it would’ve given our club belief knowing we beat the premiers so we can’t be too far away from success.

Honestly, which teams do you think will drop out of top 8 next year? I can see only possibly Saints. Then you got teams like Freo, WB, Crows together with us with ambitions to play finals. Even Richmond, Essendon, Cats will believe they can make it.

It also does not look like we will bring any players to help us immediately. It's all on Hardwick and internal growth while we have to learn a new system.

Honestly, which teams do you think will drop out of top 8 next year? I can see only possibly Saints. Then you got teams like Freo, WB, Crows together with us with ambitions to play finals. Even Richmond, Essendon, Cats will believe they can make it.

It also does not look like we will bring any players to help us immediately. It's all on Hardwick and internal growth while we have to learn a new system.
There will be one or two shocks that drop out. Could be Port, could even be Lions really.

There will be one or two shocks that drop out. Could be Port, could even be Lions really.
Yeah, 1-2 teams usually drop out. It does not mean we will fill the spot. It's insanely even competition. There is a queue of teams to play finals.

Was it just game plan (Dew) that held us back? Not so sure. I sincerely hope Harwick will make us to take a next step.

We looked often soft mentally, unable to respond when oppositions had their run. Hopefully, Anderson and Rowell in their 5th season will take it to another level, Powell, King stay healthy, Humphrey, Mac progress and so on. A lot based on hope with injuries luck needed again.

IMO, Lions, looking at their list, are primed for next 3 years. I sure enjoyed Zorko's tears.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back