2nds VFL - Geelong vs Port Melbourne Saturday May 23 12pm Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad effort given that this was our boys against their men. But kicking for goal appalling. Where is Podsiadly at the moment could do worse than bring him back as a forward coach.
Question- no prizes for answers- when was the last time that a commentary team on radio or TV was actually on our side. It seems that they never are although will occasionally recognise good play.

And that may be why he still has not got AFL games. I really , REALLY hate guys who waste all the "Up town" work... when you are "Down town". Like the song says.. "The lights are brighter there" , no hiding with in play pressure. No moving target.
I don't think it's what's holding him back but he must do better.

So he has demanded selection?
I don't think it's really possible with Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers and the form they are in.

At some point we need to give him a go.

Not a bad effort given that this was our boys against their men. But kicking for goal appalling. Where is Podsiadly at the moment could do worse than bring him back as a forward coach.
Question- no prizes for answers- when was the last time that a commentary team on radio or TV was actually on our side. It seems that they never are although will occasionally recognise good play.
Strange as there is more Geelong supporting people in media than anyone else. If Ling or Harley carried on about Geelong the same way Richo, KB and BT do with Richmond they would be taken off air ASAP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he has demanded selection?

I reckon Kolo could slot into our back 6 comfortably at AFL level - not saying there wouldn't be teething problems, but he knows what he's doing and has the physical tools.
I don't think he'd be demanding selection though based on the form the senior back 6 have shown of late, but I wouldn't have any concerns if he was promoted.

I don't think it's really possible with Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers and the form they are in.

.... yeah, what CE said ...

Pretty good effort poor kicking let them down big time, but it was much better than last week. Hopefully we can start getting some players back.

Well , Im an advocate of him... I think thats been apparent over my time reporting what Ive seen of him... but I still think he makes poor choices on occasions. He has a good technique with kicking not too far away from Thurlow , and sometimes his choice relie too heavily on the skill. If he is going for it and turning it over in VFL then its hard to demand selection when the players you have named are in form. He must be be that good he gets selected in front of some other names.
River dodgy knee , Mackie is turnover type as well , Lonergan is the most secure out of the three , Kolo will not replace him.

I reckon Kolo could slot into our back 6 comfortably at AFL level - not saying there wouldn't be teething problems, but he knows what he's doing and has the physical tools.
I don't think he'd be demanding selection though based on the form the senior back 6 have shown of late, but I wouldn't have any concerns if he was promoted.

.... yeah, what CE said ...

CC , thats not the same as what I said. Sure promote him , give him a game , give him more... but he needs to be better to demand selection.

Well , Im an advocate of him... I think thats been apparent over my time reporting what Ive seen of him... but I still think he makes poor choices on occasions. He has a good technique with kicking not too far away from Thurlow , and sometimes his choice relie too heavily on the skill. If he is going for it and turning it over in VFL then its hard to demand selection when the players you have named are in form. He must be be that good he gets selected in front of some other names.
River dodgy knee , Mackie is turnover type as well , Lonergan is the most secure out of the three , Kolo will not replace him.
I thought his kicking and decision making was a highlight today and usually is.

CC , thats not the same as what I said. Sure promote him , give him a game , give him more... but he needs to be better to demand selection.

I guess I was a bit unclear as to what you meant by 'demand' - did he put forward a good case that he's ready to play AFL? IMO, yes.
Did he play so well as to force the selectors to consider dropping one of the incumbent AFL defenders? I don't think that's a possibility really; if the senior back 6 are playing well (and they are) then I can't see him leap-frogging them, to me he's in the same spot as someone like Walker, too good for VFL level, but no spot for him in the senior side at this stage.
Would be surprised if he didn't crack it for a debut at some stage this season, I've been very impressed.
Then again, I quite liked Hamling, so take it with a grain of salt ;)

I guess I was a bit unclear as to what you meant by 'demand' - did he put forward a good case that he's ready to play AFL? IMO, yes.
Did he play so well as to force the selectors to consider dropping one of the incumbent AFL defenders? I don't think that's a possibility really; if the senior back 6 are playing well (and they are) then I can't see him leap-frogging them, to me he's in the same spot as someone like Walker, too good for VFL level, but no spot for him in the senior side at this stage.
Would be surprised if he didn't crack it for a debut at some stage this season, I've been very impressed.
Then again, I quite liked Hamling, so take it with a grain of salt ;)

3 years here and no game "given" , that was poor by us imo... but he is not a regular at the Dogs either is he.

I feel like i'm being to hard on him if everyone else thinks Kolo played well. I really hope I'm wrong and he is selected very soon. But I feel he needs to get better still....

3 years here and no game "given" , that was poor by us imo... but he is not a regular at the Dogs either is he.

I feel like i'm being to hard on him if everyone else thinks Kolo played well. I really hope I'm wrong and he is selected very soon. But I feel he needs to get better still....

fair enough, and I hope he still has improvement in him also - I suspect he does.

yeah, prepared to belatedly concede on the Hamling thing if he can't get a game with the Dogs - I did like what he produced for our VFL side though ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back