VFL list changes?

Remove this Banner Ad

axel2cotch2lids

All Australian
Aug 3, 2008
Lounge Room
AFL Club
Richmond
Watching Footscray vs Box Hill this afternoon shows how much work we have to do with our AFl list depth and our non-listed VFL players. Really need a bit of a clean out of those non-listed players IMHO.

I know the timeframes were pretty short in contracting VFL players in 2014 but it's now time to get serious - no excuses in 2015.

There are only 4 blokes from this list i'd keep - Young, Batsanis, Bathie, Wall

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/vfl/vfl-playing-list

Be an interesting off-season in the VFL - and a very important one

We need that second tier of AFL-listed midfielders which at the moment are non-existent on the list (over to you FJ) and more quality from the VFL listed players

Our selection for the VFL should solely be based on ensuring the flexibility for our afl players to play in the desired positions for them as much as possible

Win loss ratio is irrelevant, it's about having the best platform to develop our kids

Our selection for the VFL should solely be based on ensuring the flexibility for our afl players to play in the desired positions for them as much as possible

Win loss ratio is irrelevant, it's about having the best platform to develop our kids

Agreed, but we just cant grab some brumby from the ammo's to fill spots, we need some level of quality so that our kids can develop effectively within a winning culture where they can focus on developing there role with specific team structures - and not covering for second-raters who let the team structure down.

Would have learnt a bit from first 12 months . Didn't see a lot of the signings, Davey , and contin for example. I'd like,to see the VFL as an extended rookie list a few wild cards from the suburbs or country we can keep an eye on

We put them in the VFL though everyone gets to see them.

The VFL was evolving a lot over the course of the season, we had some downs but our improvement from game 1 against WB to game 2 where we lost after the siren shows how much we learned.

Would have learnt a bit from first 12 months . Didn't see a lot of the signings, Davey , and contin for example. I'd like,to see the VFL as an extended rookie list a few wild cards from the suburbs or country we can keep an eye on

this very much

Someone from the WAFL would be handy:
Shane Nelson, Aaron Black, Brandon Lee, Luke Blackwell (Moving back to Melbourne), Haiden Schloithe.

Or someone from the NT that doesn't get drafted like Essendon did with Anthony Tipungwuti:

Only problem is would they want to come, considering if we had a fully healthy list. They might not get regular games like they would elsewhere.

Or we could do what has already stated and use it as a way of looking at players, that were interested in/intrigued about.

Was there any of the VFL listed players who might be worth rookie-ing/drafting?

From memory, we were pretty keen on Batsanis last season but didn't end up drafting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything that has been said here.

Keep Batsanis, Young, Bathie, Wall and the rest im not bothered about.

If we can add to these 4 another 5-6 quality VFL players, they along with the 15+ AFL players who will run out each week should give us a pretty strong team to work with and we should be pushing for finals

I wouldn't say win loss ratio is irrelevant. It shouldn't come at the expense of your first point but they shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Having a winning VFL side playing finals provides a huge advantage to a finals bound AFL team over those whose VFL teams miss the finals. That and you can't have too much winnning culture around a footy club. I'd love to go watch a final at Punt Rd in spring! :thumbsu:

Was there any of the VFL listed players who might be worth rookie-ing/drafting?

From memory, we were pretty keen on Batsanis last season but didn't end up drafting him.

As a side note I was in melb in August. Went to a fitness equipment company in Kew. Turns out that Nathan's day job and he had suffered a broken leg. He wasn't there that day, so I'm unsure if it happened playing. But I think up to then he was going ok (happy to be corrected by those more in the know)....

I wouldn't say win loss ratio is irrelevant. It shouldn't come at the expense of your first point but they shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Having a winning VFL side playing finals provides a huge advantage to a finals bound AFL team over those whose VFL teams miss the finals. That and you can't have too much winnning culture around a footy club. I'd love to go watch a final at Punt Rd in spring! :thumbsu:

The OP is about recruiting for wins though. This is the part I have issue with. For instance, Baby Ivvy will be a rucking liability for a couple of years minimum. For the win, we should recruit a ruck of VFL caliber to handle that role. For development, we need that man monster to be getting as much game time as possible to accelerate his development - regardless of how many free kicks and goals he costs us.

I'd love to see VFL wins, but our list is still being rebuilt, and has wafer thin depth. This means our VFL side while this depth is developing must continue to play raw and untested kids in key roles. Any recruitment should be about ensuring that these kids are supported on field, and are allowed to play in the positions that best help their development

Are the goals of recruiting for development & or wins mutually exclusive ? Why can't we have both? Ultimately the development of players and a winning culture is vital to the clubs success aren't they ?

Are the goals of recruiting for development & or wins mutually exclusive ? Why can't we have both? Ultimately the development of players and a winning culture is vital to the clubs success aren't they ?

As I mentioned, there will be some times where we need to play a player in a role that is a negative for the team, but its essential for their development. Baby Ivvy will be a classic for this. With only a few games under his belt, he will be a massive liability in 2015, but its essential he get as much game time as his body can stand.

Agreed, but we just cant grab some brumby from the ammo's to fill spots, we need some level of quality so that our kids can develop effectively within a winning culture where they can focus on developing there role with specific team structures - and not covering for second-raters who let the team structure down.

VFL Salary Cap about $180k. Good suburban players can go for $2,000-$3,000 a match, so about $50k pa. An established VFL player can command $60k-$70k as a player-coach at some suburban or country clubs. It is why your VFL list has 5 or 6 quality players and then some blokes rounded-up from here and there; and why it is unlikely to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back