Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Cancelled my WoW subscription last month (had been going permanently since 2005) because I hadn't played it in ages - pausing is a killer feature with a kid under one. I would be overseas for a month or more. I fully intended to re-subscribe when the next expansion came out... two weeks into the holiday after the cancellation, *bam* beta invite for the next expansion.

Curse you Blizzard!

What I dig about Wildstar is your rest xp location is your 'house' which you can hearth to from anywhere once every 20 minutes. I've got kids and work pops up randomly as well it's really handy to be able to teleport to somewhere safe at a moments notice, log out and come back in exactly where I was without having to figure out what I was doing again.

I'm with Caiphus though, with only being able to play in short bursts and often only once or twice a week I fear my MMO days may be done, or maybe I've just finally grown up a bit :eek:

Metroid Fusion.

Nightmare.

Seriously, some of the bosses in this game have me nearly ripping my hair out in frustration!

What I dig about Wildstar is your rest xp location is your 'house' which you can hearth to from anywhere once every 20 minutes. I've got kids and work pops up randomly as well it's really handy to be able to teleport to somewhere safe at a moments notice, log out and come back in exactly where I was without having to figure out what I was doing again.

I'm with Caiphus though, with only being able to play in short bursts and often only once or twice a week I fear my MMO days may be done, or maybe I've just finally grown up a bit :eek:

I have a few friends that rave about Wildstar but to me it sounds like a non-casual WoW, which is apparently what they were aiming for. I really don't relish playing a game that prevents me from seeing 50% of it any more because I don't want to commit to one or more weekly multihour slots.

It's amazing the amount of WoW playing friends I have that will tell me that they had quit playing but were dragged back into it for one reason or another.

It's lucky I'm more of a gamer who plays things in bursts. Couldn't see myself playing WoW consistently enough from month to month to make it a cost effective way of spending my time.

Started playing new vegas a little over the last few days. Have to remember how to play like a scavenging, little mouse instead of the God you end up being by the later stages of fallout 3. I notice they also try and direct you in certain areas in the early game much more so than fallout 3. Nothing says "do not go in this direction until you've leveled heaps" than deathclaw packs.

Don't think I ever got around to New Vegas, but I was a massive Fallout 3 fan.

Malcolm McDowell 4 President

Metroid Fusion.

Nightmare.

Seriously, some of the bosses in this game have me nearly ripping my hair out in frustration!

One of the trickier Metroid games. Keep at it it! Amazing franchise.

Super Metroid easily in my all time top 10. Metroid Prime was stunningly good as well.

One of the trickier Metroid games. Keep at it it! Amazing franchise.

Super Metroid easily in my all time top 10. Metroid Prime was stunningly good as well.

The problem isn't so much the first bit, but once it's mask comes off and it starts charging you it gets annoying. I get the feeling I don't have all the energy tanks I could have either :/

I haven't given Super Metroid a go for a while, might give that another go. Doesn't help that I have the hand-eye coordination of a Lions player against Richmond.

The problem isn't so much the first bit, but once it's mask comes off and it starts charging you it gets annoying. I get the feeling I don't have all the energy tanks I could have either :/

I haven't given Super Metroid a go for a while, might give that another go. Doesn't help that I have the hand-eye coordination of a Lions player against Richmond.

Zero Mission is good too. Remake of the original.

If you like those sort of puzzley action platformers, the Castlevania games on DS are great too.

Got up to Mother Brain in Zero Mission and nearly went on a raging rampage. Those freaking rings!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Deep breaths, remain calm, relax. I used to get so flustered as a kid during boss fights* till I worked out that my stress levels made me play worse.

*special four asterix salutes to Mike Tyson in Punch Out and Yellow Devil in Megaman 1.

Started playing new vegas a little over the last few days. Have to remember how to play like a scavenging, little mouse instead of the God you end up being by the later stages of fallout 3. I notice they also try and direct you in certain areas in the early game much more so than fallout 3. Nothing says "do not go in this direction until you've leveled heaps" than deathclaw packs.

I think there are definitely more moments where you feel outgunned in NV, but if you use Stealth Boys and sneak around liberally you should be able to get through there if you want to.

From memory they try to railroad you a bit as you head to Vegas (Goodsprings -> Nipton -> Novac -> 188 Trading Post -> Camp McCarran -> New Vegas) to give you a good idea of the factions but I've rushed there from the start before. It's not the prettiest landscape the Mojave, but there's plenty of great things to find.

To be honest even late game Deathclaws still give me a heap of grief. You'll quickly learn to hate Cazadores (who weren't in 3 iirc) too.

I think the first thing I noticed over 3 was the iron sights - you can definitely play it as more of a straight shooter than 3. VATS is far less important (but still handy in my experience).

Deep breaths, remain calm, relax. I used to get so flustered as a kid during boss fights* till I worked out that my stress levels made me play worse.

*special four asterix salutes to Mike Tyson in Punch Out and Yellow Devil in Megaman 1.

Alma in Ninja Gaiden on original Xbox was the defining boss moment for me. Taught me the "boss trance"...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you love games with big learning curves and crap tutorials.
So, EVE Online?

Though they at least improved their tutorials in recent years, the learning curve is the biggest in any game that I've personally come across.

I wish i had time to play a game like EVE. Love those space sim types, but have 0 time to play them. Same with Fallout on the back of that discussion. Loved Fallout 3, but never really got to enjoy it. Same with NV, played it here and there, but never got time to really jump in and be consumed by it. Stupid kids taking away all my free time :p

Downloaded Age of Wonders III and have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

Tutorial mode is essentially non-existent.

Starting to work it out now. Getting hooked - basically Civilization meets Heroes of Might & Magic. Good mix.

I've been dabbling with Wildstar as well. Caiphus, karix maybe we should take the older gentlemen's approach to MMOs and have a night set aside and play together?

TheBrownDog I picked AoW3 up in the recent Steam Sale but haven't played yet. I liked the previous entries in the series, they scratched my Master of Magic itch quite nicely. I do wish someone would remake that one as well. :rainbow:

On the big games with steep learning curves any of Paradox's grand strategy entries will do that. I loved the concept of Hearts of Iron but never felt on top of it. Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings had fewer moving parts but took hours to learn.

I've been dabbling with Wildstar as well. Caiphus, karix maybe we should take the older gentlemen's approach to MMOs and have a night set aside and play together?

TheBrownDog I picked AoW3 up in the recent Steam Sale but haven't played yet. I liked the previous entries in the series, they scratched my Master of Magic itch quite nicely. I do wish someone would remake that one as well. :rainbow:

On the big games with steep learning curves any of Paradox's grand strategy entries will do that. I loved the concept of Hearts of Iron but never felt on top of it. Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings had fewer moving parts but took hours to learn.

Hey mate, we started on Pago - only seemed to be a high level population on there. We were only in the low 20s. We've started new characters on Widow and we are dominion.

OK - I'm on whatever the Oceanic server was but I'll start a new Dominion toon on Widow. What roles do you need?

I'm playing an engi only at lvl 12, karix is I think 16 on his stalker and is lvling up a medic as well so you can really pick whatever you want.

Apparently Widow is the unofficial oceanic PvP server which is why we went there.

Some good deals to be had on the basic pack ... premium is just black and has a bigger HD but you can plug a HD in later.

Super Mario 3D world .. Super Mario Bros U ... Mario Kart 8 - all seriously amazing titles. Don't bother getting 3rd or FPS shooters on the Wii-U, they kinda suck ... which as a Nintendo fanboy disappointed me.

You could get a free game with Mario Kart 8, too ... Super Mario Bros U was one of them - not sure if that promo is still going.

When you inevitably get one, TheBrownDog and Davemonkey - add me on the WiiU as 'jamesnorth'. Inventive, I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back