Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone watch any of The International? As sports lovers are you getting into e-sports? I haven't really tried but I prefer to play than watch but given my current gaming attention span seeks to be about 1-2 hours a session at the most these days I have dipped into a little bit of streaming (mostly Hearthstone) but haven't drifted into any of the competitive stuff.

Can't bring myself to care to watch streams. I'm quite willing to watch machinima and the like, but just watching someone else's games is mind-numbing enough (barring exceptional circumstances) that I'd rather just play the game or watch anything else.

Can't bring myself to care to watch streams. I'm quite willing to watch machinima and the like, but just watching someone else's games is mind-numbing enough (barring exceptional circumstances) that I'd rather just play the game or watch anything else.
I think its different for competitive games. I've actually learned to play better Hearthstone by watching streams. (not to mention discovered some good decks).

I don't mind watching some competitive gaming, the skill involved is ridiculous. But I can't get into MOBA's as a genre let alone a spectator sport.

I don't mind watching some competitive gaming, the skill involved is ridiculous. But I can't get into MOBA's as a genre let alone a spectator sport.

This. I can watch some games, but it depends on the skill level. I've watched a bunch of SC2 vids, and some of those games are just insane. Having good commentary certain helps. Needs to be smaller or quicker games genuinely. I usually like watching a bit of the game i'm playing, simply so i can pick up some good tips. Being after having kids my competitive gaming went from like 20hrs a week to 0, and my casual gaming went from like 10 to like 2, i don't have time to find stuff out for myself. If i picked up the next COD, i'd watch some pro games to get an idea of the levels and paths for example.

I missed Fight Night Champion when it came out - there were reports at the time that it wasn't as good as Round 4. I picked it up for a buck a couple of weeks ago and I am addicted at the moment. I'm sure the joy will be sapped out of it once I go online rather than playing through legacy mode.

Strange that it's still popping up occasionally.

EB Games had Basic editions bundled with Mario Kart 8 a month or so ago.

Just got a brand new (supposed to be discontinued as of last week) Basic pack with Nintendoland and Skylanders bundled in for 189.

This is a ludicrously good deal considering the indefensibly dumb price bump for the premium.

The same store, due to a stocking error still has quite a few of them out the back. If you are in the market, PM me and I'll tell you where.

Especially considering that if you buy Mario Kart before the end of August you get another free game download to choose from including New Super Mario Bros or Zelda.

So basically you can get...

Wii U console
Nintendo Land
Skylanders
Mario Kart 8
And New Super Mario Bros or Zelda

For about $260.

Massive value if you act fast.

What games? I'm tempted for Last of Us Remastered (never had a PS3)

Yeah I'm new to Playstation myself. I got Last of Us - very enjoyable thus far. I also bought Watch Dogs and I'll be looking forward to Unchartered etc.

I'm really into those 3rd person (preferably open world) adventure games.

My favourite stuff generally is pretty much anything Nintendo makes, but my fav other games have been AC II, GTA 5 and Red Dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a pretty big fan of the 3rd person open world games as well. Love the AC franchise, helps i also love history. Very excited at the new AC. Red Dead i never got far into, it is in my pile of shame along with Last of Us. Just don't have access to the TV anymore to play the PS3. Need to take a few days off and just nerd it up for like 48 hours straight to knock some games off.

Gawd, wouldn't know where to go these days. I go straight from EB and JB's 2nd hand table to eBay.

Yeah, had a bit of a fruitless look around the northside. I guess the internet is the way to go.

My pointless need for collecting is leading me towards picking up the first console I owned, the Master System.

My pointless need for collecting is leading me towards picking up the first console I owned, the Master System.

Oh lawd dude don't bother, just let all those good memories remain that, memories!

Oh lawd dude don't bother, just let all those good memories remain that, memories!

I agree, it's hard to go back to anything pre-16bit era for me.

Got a N64 the other week off a mate. Best part, the controllers are in top notch condition. Analog thumb sticks feel brand new. I wore out so many controllers i can still tell when the thumb sticks are nearly done. He has collected a few of the old consoles, both nintendo and sega over the last few years. I've floated the idea that we need to have a blokes night, hook up all the old consoles on a couple of tvs and just have a retro game night. would be excellent. Gotta find a copy of golden eye now..

I agree, it's hard to go back to anything pre-16bit era for me.

Yeah, SNES and Genesis are as far as I can go back now and still enjoy them.

NES and Master System games just seem pretty dreadful now (with a few exceptions).

I pretty much skipped consoles between the Atari 2600 and the original Xbox and had my formative gaming years on the PC. However my attempts at nostalgia gaming through Good Old Games have mostly lasted about 15 minutes as I quickly realised that we have made a lot of advances in UI design alone in the past 20 years and while Game A was a foundational experience for me, it is pretty much unplayable now.

What I am saying is where is my updated version of Tie Fighter damnit?!

I got a PS 4... Looks nice.

Can't justify buying a ps4 due to the lack of games at present. Although a $200 jbhifi voucher I have lying around tempts me.

The Division and Rainbow Six are probably my most anticipated games.

The Golf Club also looks good.

My progression was a NES with just Mario Bros, Duckhunt and a Singaporian pirate 191 in 1 cartridge, to a 386sx with just 2MB of ram which was good for the days of shareware but not enough ram for when Doom came out. Then got a SNES which Super Street Fighter 2 and Secret of Evermore were my favourites. Pentium MMX 200 allowed me to get in on the post windows 95 era games but only had a diamond matrix 4gb graphics so a lot of the 3D gaming was out of reach at the time. Then a PSX, Bust a Groove was awesome but Vagrant Story is my all time favourite from that era. Moved to a Pentium 4 and Xbox console at the same time where it gets really hard to pick favourite games up until the modern era of multi-core CPUs and GPUs with over 1GB of dedicated VRAM and a 360.

I missed out on so much along the way to go back to. I'm still thinking about catching up on most of the recent stuff from the PS3 like the uncharted series and infamous.

The biggest mainstay over the years for me has been my addiction to FIFA. '98 Road to the World Cup pretty much ruined my senior years of high school and I've probably put more hours and money into that franchise than any other (besides WoW when I think about the years of subscription fees). I dabbled in Pro Evo between 2005 and 2009 but FIFA has come back strong over the last few years.

Most of my memories of other consoles come from playing them at friends houses and being jealous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back