Review vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly I love McCrae ... but did anyone notice how often he is staging for frees? Someone needs to get onto this quicksmart. Hopefully he is mates with Toyd and can learn from him. Fully agree ... he's of strong character.
Yep, he's throwing that head back at every opportunity. Don't like it.

So after that game in Sydney , they had a debrief, cleaned up, made their way to the airport , flew home, had time to get home and get changed to then go out of the town in the city that same night?

Yeah, I said to him how the hell are you here in Melb right now and he got on a flight straight after the game.

Just wanted to come over here and say what a win by you're boys yesterday.
Playing a brilliant brand of footy with some passion and energy this competition needs. A firing bulldogs side that I think can make finals this year is going to make the season more enjoyable to watch. Combined with Port, you two are the two teams I probably most enjoy watching outside of Swans games. So much energy and some fantastic young kids lifting some of the old war horses to the challenge too.

I don't think it was just the "grit" and "guts" that the media think did it. Some great decision making and skills (not to mention playing the conditions right) really got you up for this one. As for the conditions, it meant nothing. We both played in the same conditions so no excuses from me. You're guys just adjusted and played the conditions better, simple.

You out classed us and well and truly deserved the win. Hopefully you'll keep it up and manage the young lads through the season so they don't tire. Good signs ahead for your mob though, which is great to see.

Firstly I love McCrae ... but did anyone notice how often he is staging for frees? Someone needs to get onto this quicksmart. Hopefully he is mates with Toyd and can learn from him. Fully agree ... he's of strong character.
He embellishes a lot. Doesn't appeal for frees but does "flop" to sell the infringement. I don't like that, I hope it doesn't become a regular feature of his game. That being said, I don't think he is taking blatant dives either, so happy for him to get the free if the umpire sees it.

I like McCrae he is constantly putting his body on the line and picking up kicks, so what if he puts his head down and is looking for free kicks, maybe he is a student in the Joel Selwood class of picking up free kicks lowering the shoulders. In a game such as the Sydney match, one percenters can get you over the line and McCrae showed plenty of that, with the bevy of brilliant young players we have, McCrae is as good as all of them, consistently winning the ball.

I like McCrae he is constantly putting his body on the line and picking up kicks, so what if he puts his head down and is looking for free kicks, maybe he is a student in the Joel Selwood class of picking up free kicks lowering the shoulders. In a game such as the Sydney match, one percenters can get you over the line and McCrae showed plenty of that, with the bevy of brilliant young players we have, McCrae is as good as all of them, consistently winning the ball.
Every team has them, I'm of the opinion that the rule should be changed or interpreted better. Same with the falling in the back, a majority of players are trying to exploit the rule for benefit.

10/10: -
9/10: Picken, Murphy, wood
8/10: Dahlhaus, M Boyd, Bontempelli, Crameri, Hrovat
7/10: Stevens, JJ, Talia, Dickson, Honeychurch, Webb, Stringer, Boyd, Roughead
6/10: Talia
5/10
4/10: Smith, Roberts
3/10
2/10: Macrae (worst game ive seen him play)
1/10: Cordy
0/10

Solid group effort, hard to pick out a star.

I'm still on cloud nine. Usually when we have a string of unexpected wins we falter at the big one, not this time! Comparisons to us and the baby bombers of the nineties would be interesting. The won a flag could we?
No comparisons to anyone else. We now have our own unique group of amazingly talented and committed individuals forming a tough and unstoppable team with the potential to take our club and its loyal supporters into a future that is something our club has never experienced before and many of us haven't dared to believe was possible. We are not a new Geelong or a new Essendon, Port Adelaide or Hawthorn or anyone else. We are Bulldogs and our boys will do it their way with Bevo, Murph and Peter Gordon showing the way. Go Dogs.

5/10
3/10
0/10

Close, but 'Ivan Easton' gets a 10 from me. Won so many essential things that added up to a match winning performance.

Every team has them, I'm of the opinion that the rule should be changed or interpreted better. Same with the falling in the back, a majority of players are trying to exploit the rule for benefit.
You cannot blame the players for trying different tricks to get a free kick. It is all about interpretation from the umpires. Roughead's 50 metre penalty against him was a joke, but the ump interpreted it differently.

Close, but 'Ivan Easton' gets a 10 from me. Won so many essential things that added up to a match winning performance.
You have got be kidding giving Roberts 4 out of 10, constantly he put himself in the hole in front of Franklin, constantly punched the ball from Sydney's forwards, cutting off marks, he was fantastic, he was the king of the one percenters yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No comparisons to anyone else. We now have our own unique group of amazingly talented and committed individuals forming a tough and unstoppable team with the potential to take our club and its loyal supporters into a future that is something our club has never experienced before and many of us haven't dared to believe was possible. We are not a new Geelong or a new Essendon, Port Adelaide or Hawthorn or anyone else. We are Bulldogs and our boys will do it their way with Bevo, Murph and Peter Gordon showing the way. Go Dogs.

Funny how people say "you remind me of Port 2012" or "Hawthorn 2008". I totally agree we dont remind me of any of those and the bandwagoners can GTFO and go cheer from the sidelines. This is a team forging its own path and its own destiny and like Bob said we are just so proud of this club. Go Dogs indeed :)

You cannot blame the players for trying different tricks to get a free kick. It is all about interpretation from the umpires. Roughead's 50 metre penalty against him was a joke, but the ump interpreted it differently.
Yeah I completely agree and that was the point I was trying to put across, all be it poorly. It's the same with the touched reviews now, players just yell out touched hoping the goal umpire will think it was touched even if they've touched it or not. Last week the Cats players were yelling out touched but then the kick went out on the full, all of a sudden they changed their mind!

You have got be kidding giving Roberts 4 out of 10, constantly he put himself in the hole in front of Franklin, constantly punched the ball from Sydney's forwards, cutting off marks, he was fantastic, he was the king of the one percenters yesterday.

Must admit I only looked at the top bit. Yes, Roberts and Macrae certainly both get a 6 in my book. Roberts was solid; Macrae not as good as his usual 30 lazy possesion games :)

Ok, got a Thermodynamics test and a Presentation to deal with tomorrow, this will just be a simple one today
Just have a few thoughts on a variety of things

Firstly wow... basically can't put it into words, could force a cry if i wanted to when the song was sung so passionately but I already had my river run during Fast & Furious 7. That Singing of our Song though was something else, others have mentioned the Toyd/Roberts love at the end. My man the Easton Wood, put the word Snarling in the song, his passion was the standout for mine as they were preparing to sing the song.
What has me most shaking and loving about what's happening at our club is the likes of Crameri and Toyd. Cram coming in last year, put in a big impact, but how would you feel about joining a club only to have your first offseason be as turbulent as it was with our meltdown and his Essendon Saga. We had some good games but it dulled out and lead to a horrible start to the offseason. Toyd comes in, and turns us into delirium, we have a big forward in him. Sure what he said as seeing our club as one of the best young teams to join is something he believes, but at the same time felt like a generic statement that such a recruit HAD to make. And sure he and us alike are in with such a long contract to wait for him to deliver, and in turn he waits for the team to click.
But suddenly, our 4 wins, a THRASHING of Adelaide, an INSPIRED win over Sydney at Sydney, 2 Games where no expert tipped us a chance and both these guys have been there to share the spoils, and it's come earlier than expected. So what I love is that the moves they've made have their promises from player and fan alike, but for them its not just a statement of potential, it's now true belief, and you could see it in their celebration and everyone elses as the siren went yesterday!

Sydney's start had a bit of concern in it, but I had no doubt we could peg it back and keep up the contest... next 5 goals, hmm
Start believing after first quarter, we do that, we easily have a chance to take this... and the boys delivered. Emotions overload

Anthony Hudson - Highly rate his commentary abilities, his hype he's brought to many occasions from many games of all clubs. A tad disappointed on 2 occasions though yesterday when the Jesse Stringer happened again, but also called our Talia Daniel... I'm not usually the one to quick vent off about incorrect player calls, but I expected more from Huddo... Did redeem himself for the last 2 mins though, Bont goal vs Melb like

Umpires - Did focus too much on them regarding, oh that was blatant, oh what was that free for Sydney for. Other than the 50 against Rough, I thought they did well towards the frantic end of the game. My particular example would be a moment when Roughy blatantly tackled a guy in our F50 and overdid it, but with how the game was going, how much of a slog it was, so much of that was happening the the umps let it go fairly.

Wood - Can't believe whoever it is didn't even put him in 3,2,1 Herald Sun votes... gave Hannebury 3. Appreciation thread rebumped with my in-the-moment thoughts

Every, Player, Being, Switched, On in that final 10 minutes. Jong's desperate reach to make the kick touch, JJ's quick awareness to know it's play on and not let Pyke have a moment to notice it's play on

HROVAT - we all saw his intended 'instant impact' that didn't really work, but his desperation in the final 5-10 minutes was game saving

Toyd - yes...... oh yessss

Crameri - A big performance to knockback the questions, enormous yesterday, workhorse continues

Dickson - Wow... Hard to believe he hasn't kicked a goal the last 2 games but he was one of our hardest yesterday. 9 tackles with one I specifically take out when he got the holding the ball right near our Defensive Goal Square; By Right he shouldn't even be there. I haven't said anything in reply to MattDougies opinion of him because that keeps turning into an unnecessary spiral of argument. But boy he deserves some kind of commending for his pressure in the conditions yesterday from all.

Bont - What I find amazing about him, is week in and out ever since his first few games last year, the hype rises, and it hasn't stopped, and it's all because he just keeps performing. I'll just touch on his 2 goals, in exact same fashion; and how he had the composure to put both of them RIGHT THROUGH, In Such Conditions was Top Class... And he's running through the midfield all day.

Webb - Didn't know who could come in and fit into the backline as easy as he has, something special

Fletch - Good job, that moment we all know he went back to help, stood out right there and then, could be an ideal start to making him FB and Roughy to go ruck. I also think that could be a great setup to move into from Bev because imagine Roughy being primary ruck, and if any of Fletch or Talia go down, we know Roughy has established good work as Key Defender.

Talia - Gee he was good yesterday, Buddy got up early but Talia started winning from beyond the 2nd quarter I thought. Brilliant

Stevens - Is interesting, I'm in the party that believes he is capable of being a regular part of this team, yesterday was one of the games that I couldn't help but cringe when he made particular decisions though. I thought he did well in the final team effort to push for a goal and defend it, but he's definitely on the edge of keeping his spot

Most others had praise worthy games but I just can't do it tonight. Majority are in the particular category of the ones that drove the slingshots to get us the goals needed to win like Jong, Moyd, Murph, JJ, Honey, Dahl, Pick, etc. with String putting in.

Bloody outstanding and yet another week where we can smile being on the winners list.

5/10
3/10
0/10

Jong?

Forgot about him, probably at 5-6. Did some good things like the touched ball but sold his teammates into trouble and didnt have much of it tbh. He has played much better games his year.
A bit harsh for mine, put his body on the line as much as anyone, maybe more....His last qtr was as gutsy as they come... 7 or 8 given your other rankings (IMO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back