2nds WAFL Watch 2014 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some very, very lazy journalists in Perth who report for the Slime and clearly dont even watch the game at WAFL level and make their reports from the stat sheet. I said this in an earlier post, but Hannath was definitely not in the best players. The Subiaco ruckman jumped all over him at centre clearances and he only got hit outs at ball-ups and throw-ins. His possessions were won predominately by being on the lead for 15metre kicks, where the opposition let him lead to the ball because the lead achieved nothing. Hannath spent about 35% of game time in the forward line and had a 10cm advantage on his man, but didnt kick one goal or take one decent contested mark in the forward fifty.

Silvagni was also easily the best Peel player, but he wasnt even listed in the best players. No mention of Sylvia's lack of effort, or mention of how impressive Mora looked when running the footy means there is zero chance the bloke who reported for the Slime actually watched the game.

Id trust Salim's or JMT's reports more than what you read in the Slime, by an absolute mile.

BTW I hope all is well with you Mr Reems. Take care.

Harry is fine we polished a few Coronas post Freo win.

You are spot on. The Sunday Slime is diabolical for accuracy.

I really think Appness has a great leap and ditto on Silvagni.

Going by the best players in the Slimes all of the Peel watchers where of the mark with Hannath
Hannath and Ballard in the bests and Silvagni not mentioned
At least we all got it right with Mora.
On Hannath he was only just OK but thats only my opinion but in saying that the other Peel watchers where of the same opinion
On Sylvia he needs to take a leaf out of Silvagnis book,selected then dropped with out a reason should have been reason enough for him to drop the lip but he played for Peel like his life depended on it
Much kudos to the man

Yeah, so true. SCOS has repeatedly shown some of the best attitude you could want from a player. Question his abilities, his occasional brain fades giving away frees or wahtever, but the guy has such a good attitude and work rate. He's been dropped more than once for not doing too much wrong, and over looked when it looked like a good choice to pick him - but he always responds by just putting in more effort. And when he gets his go, fwd or back, wherever RTB puts him, he puts in all he's got.

It's sad to see someone of Sylvia's ability show such poor attitude when you look at someone like SCOS giving it his all.

For those who can´t be bothered to look up the clubs website. WAFL watch below. Apeness with his 7 contested marks appears the pick although Sherro with 22 poss in reduced game time was a good effort:

Michael Apeness 17 disposals (6 kicks, 11 handballs) 9 marks, 2 goals
Michael played as a key forward opposed to Dylan Elliot and Clancy Wheeler. He won his position taking nine marks. He was consistently strong in the air. Seven of his marks were contested, two were uncontested. He presented hard up at the kicker and gave great effort throughout the game. It was a really positive game for Michael.

Jack Hannath 22 disposals (11 kicks, 11 handballs) 11 marks, 25 hitouts
Jack played the starting ruck role, alternating with Jon Griffin. He displayed a high work rate over the four quarters and constantly provided a marking option through the midfield, taking 11 marks. He had a strong first quarter where he was very competitive in ruck contests and worked hard to get into dominant positions and control the hitouts.

Craig Moller 8 disposals (4 kicks, 4 handballs) 2 marks
Craig played primarily as a forward with some short periods in the ruck. He had some good contests and effort while other efforts weren’t at the standard we require. He did at times show the ability to compete as a leading and contesting forward. He displayed some effective ruck work against a strong-bodied opponent, although his effort throughout the day was inconsistent.

Jon Griffin 14 disposals (7 kicks, 7 handballs) 6 marks
Jon played in the ruck and forward showing strong competitive spirit throughout the game. There were some good signs with his aerial contest. The timing of his jump in the ruck was a positive and he managed to hold his position in ruck contests and he covered the ground well in general play. We are happy with how Jon is progressing.

Anthony Morabito 23 disposals (17 kicks, 6 handballs) 2 goals
Anthony had a defensive rebound role, where he had a solid first half and defensively had some good starting points. He attacked the opposition at the right time, kicking two goals. He went into the midfield briefly, which was a positive as we want Anthony to learn how to run offensively and defensively.

Thomas Vandeleur 14 disposals (10 kicks, 4 handballs) 7 marks
Tom showed improvement from last week in regards to his starting points and physicality. He showed that he is versatile being able to play on smalls and talls and he won several 50-50 contests in the defensive 50. Tom will continue to work on his composure and his awareness when he has the ball.

Alex Silvagni22 disposals (17 kicks, 5 handballs) 7 marks, 3 tackles
Alex played as a key back opposed to Lachlan Delahunty and Matthew Boland. It was a strong performance from Alex with his defensive running patterns, spoiling and tackling. He looked to get used out of defence having 17 kicks and five handballs and he helped generate use out of the backline.

Colin Sylvia13 disposals (6 kicks, 7 handballs) 2 tackles
Colin played inside mid and briefly as a high forward. He had some impact around the ball at centre square bounces and had some strong tackles inside the contest.

Tom Sheridan 22 disposals (12 kicks, 10 handballs) 3 marks
Tom played inside mid with reduced game time as he was listed as an emergency for Sunday’s AFL game. He showed some good spread with his running as a midfielder and demonstrated he could get to some good positions at the clearance. Overall his work rate was positive and he had five clearances for the game.

Brady Grey 10 disposals (6 kicks, 4 handballs) 8 tackles
Brady continues to play consistently with great effort. He had a run-with role for three quarters and also played as a high forward. He pressured hard around the contest and was better with his bodywork in the contest later in the game. Overall he had eight tackles, demonstrating a physical brand of football.

Jacob Ballard 14 disposals (9 kicks, 5 handballs) 2 marks
Jacob played as an inside mid and high forward. He worked hard competing around the contest, having five clearances and he got to some good positions to get used.

He still has some way to go, but Apeness excites me the most. I recall a highlights video that Freo put up on the website on draft day (not the one on youtube that every bigfooty expert saw and from which they concluded that we had over-reached, but the in-house video released after the draft) showing him taking a heap of contested marks. Whilst a highlight video, the main thing that I took away from it was that he really attacks the contest hard and has that bit of aggro about him that you want in a key forward. That and his size (200cm, 101kg - as an 19 yo!) make it a bit hard not to get excited about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still has some way to go, but Apeness excites me the most. I recall a highlights video that Freo put up on the website on draft day (not the one on youtube that every bigfooty expert saw and from which they concluded that we had over-reached, but the in-house video released after the draft) showing him taking a heap of contested marks. Whilst a highlight video, the main thing that I took away from it was that he really attacks the contest hard and has that bit of aggro about him that you want in a key forward. That and his size (200cm, 101kg - as an 19 yo!) make it a bit hard not to get excited about him.

Couldn't agree more. But we'll need to be patient. Took Tommahawk til his 7th year before he was a genuine superstar. He was gifted about 50 games up until that point.

I like the fact that Tommy Sheridan was still able to rack up 22 touches on limited game time. Shows that he must have really been running and working hard in his time on the ground. But yes that is a massive step forward for Apeness, hopefully he can keep performing like that consistently and improving his game.

Love that my buddy Grey had this said about him:
"Overall he had eight tackles, demonstrating a physical brand of football."

I know he's a mid, but another handy back up for Walters. (Even though he is behind Crozier, Simpson, Neale etc.)

On another note I thought Hannath's stats flattered him massively and they didnt accurately reflect his impact on the game. At centre bounces the two Subiaco ruckmen jumped all over him and gave Subiaco midfielders first use at bouncedowns for the majority of the game. For a players who plays in the ruck, Hannath's leaping ability is very concerning in my view. He won his hit outs predominately at boundary throw-ins where he can use his physical strength.

Not saying you're wrong, but in the highlights package he jumps over one of the Subi ruckman once, so he's at least capable of it.

Love that my buddy Grey had this said about him:
"Overall he had eight tackles, demonstrating a physical brand of football."

I know he's a mid, but another handy back up for Walters. (Even though he is behind Crozier, Simpson, Neale etc.)
Grey is a very exciting prospect. So aware in traffic and elusive and has a real touch of class with the ball. When you add that to that the fact he doesn't mind the tough stuff there is a lot to work with!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back