2nds WAFL Watch 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Was thinking about what positions our squad members will be playing in the WAFL this year. East Perth take on Peel the day before the Eagles take on the Doggies. You’d guess that 23/24 would be unavailable due to the Eagles game, and Waters and Barrass out with injury. So that would leave around 18 (will be less if there are any more injuries between now and then – touch wood). Some may be playing reserves to ensure that enough non-eagles are able to play for east perth, although id guess that players would play similar positions in the reserves. I’ve also named a few guys who well might be playing for the eagles, or be an emergency, but are some chance to play WAFL.

Brennan McGovern(or KPF) Wilson
Carter Brown Smith
Colledge McGinnity Sheppard
Cripps McInnes Newman
Karpany Sinclair Tunbridge

Lycett Maginess Hutchings

Others:
· Bennell in the back pocket
· Powell in defence somewhere (in the 2s)
· Main on a flank/wing (maybe in the 2s)
· Sheed on-ball
· Ellis on wing/HBF
· Butler BP

+ also just saw this article:

East Perth has retained ruck ace Paul Johnson and scoring force Josh Smith, despite expectations that the two enforcers would walk out with the Royals under a salary cap of $170,000 while non-aligned clubs can spend $280,000.

Johnson presents an obstacle to critical game-time for emerging Eagles ruckmen Scott Lycett and Callum Sinclair.

Proven Royals servants Craig Wulff, Nathan Blee, and Kyle Anderson as well as captain Brendan Lee have all committed to playing under the new Eagles partnership.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...wafl-competition/story-fniv6150-1226815701611

This should give a better idea of where players may play. So I'm guessing this means that Lycett and Sinclair will play mostly forward, which isn't a bad thing.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of WAFL watchers on the roles the other players mentioned are likely to play for East Perth.

Going to be tough to fit all of Johnson, Smith, Sinclair, Lycett, McInnes and McGovern into the same team.

On an unrelated note, i'm going to nit pick and say can we please lose the 2013 from the thread title?

Going to be tough to fit all of Johnson, Smith, Sinclair, Lycett, McInnes and McGovern into the same team.

Gov to play in the ones in the back line, Lycett playing like Paul Salmon at FF in the WAFL, McInnes CHF in the WAFL, Johnson and Sinclair can play ruck and do whatever.

Suppose this would leave Brown in the WAFL too...... ah well.

I think Lycett might play vs the doggies. I think against them we can play him with Nic & Cox
Three ruckmen have never worked many times in the past when we have tried it but yes it probably will this time.

WCE and East Perth had a love in over the weekend. Players deemed bottom 15 on the list and most likely to spend the majority of the season at WAFL level joined the East Perth league squad. They spent a couple nights at Leederville Oval, played cricket, light training and had a few guest speakers (players who went through the last alignment and other partnerships in the VFL). A few players from both squads were seen along Vincent St on a late night trip to the bottle shop with a wheelbarrow after they ran out early.

A couple of players who spent time at East Perth last year and were not required to attend still went down. Also some of the players deemed bottom 15 will make some confused and angry. Hutchings was one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you name the others Barney?

I think we can jot down the following names as givens:

Hutchings (if true)
Colledge
McInnes
Karpany
Main
Barrass
Powell
Maginness
Newman
McGovern

Which is 10/15. My guess the next 5 would come from:

Sinclair
Sheppard
Wilson
Brennan

The last spot is hard - Carter/Lycett/Smith/Cripps/Bennell?

My wce players 2nd s team ,some form players will no doubt play Afl through the year

Carter Schofield Wilson
Sheppard McGovern Smith
Karpany Butler Bennell
Colledge Sinclair Maginnity
Newman McInnes Tunbridge
Lycett Hutchings Sheed

Int .Brennan Maginness Main Powell [Barrass Waters inj]

Last edited:
I think we can jot down the following names as givens:

Hutchings (if true)
Colledge
McInnes
Karpany
Main
Barrass
Powell
Maginness
Newman
McGovern

Which is 10/15. My guess the next 5 would come from:

Sinclair
Sheppard
Wilson
Brennan

The last spot is hard - Carter/Lycett/Smith/Cripps/Bennell?

Tunbridge would be in there you'd think. Sheppard may not be.

WCE and East Perth had a love in over the weekend. Players deemed bottom 15 on the list and most likely to spend the majority of the season at WAFL level joined the East Perth league squad. They spent a couple nights at Leederville Oval, played cricket, light training and had a few guest speakers (players who went through the last alignment and other partnerships in the VFL). A few players from both squads were seen along Vincent St on a late night trip to the bottle shop with a wheelbarrow after they ran out early.

A couple of players who spent time at East Perth last year and were not required to attend still went down. Also some of the players deemed bottom 15 will make some confused and angry. Hutchings was one.

I am disappoint.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-suburbs-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226794883616

Further west, one of the biggest names in the WAFL in 2014 will be former Magpie Andrew Krakouer, who has signed with West Perth. South Fremantle has landed former Crow and Demon James Sellar while it's no surprise a clutch of axed Eagles and Dockers will continue their careers in the WAFL, including Ashton Hams and Hayden Schloithe (South Fremantle) and Bradd Dalziell (East Fremantle). Luckless Saint Tom Ledger is set to play for Claremont.

From the same article Brad Dick has left the Sharks as well

You're damn right he is. :thumbsu:
He is a walk up start this year even if it means I have knee cap Priddis and Co. :p:D

Well you shouldnt have to knee cap Priddis & co, as his efforts last year as recognized by the AFL record and anyone who was actually watching not in our MC or named Woosha could see that he brings something we lack in our midfield. That is defensive pressure, contested ball winning ability and the ability to hit a target when given space. I just hope Simpson gives him a chance.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/21416357/feathers-fly-as-krakouer-walks/

The two clubs had signed a transfer agreement believed to be worth $20,000, allowing the 30-year-old to play for the WAFL premiers this season.

But despite agreeing to a two-year deal and being listed by the Falcons, the club yesterday announced Krakouer would instead head to the Pilbara to work in the mining industry.

His defection is set to cost West Perth both on and off the field, with Swans chief executive Tom Bottrell declaring his club would still expect to be paid the full transfer fee.

Swans desperately need the cash ATM.

Round One
Fri 28 Feb: East Perth vs West Perth at Medibank Stadium (7pm)
Fri 28 Feb: Swan Districts vs Perth at Steel Blue Oval (7pm, League only)
Sat 1 Mar: East Fremantle vs Subiaco at East Fremantle Oval (2:05pm)
Bye: Peel, South Fremantle, Claremont

Round Two
Sat 8 Mar: Swan Districts vs East Perth at Steel Blue Oval (2:05pm)
Sat 8 Mar: Peel vs Perth at Bendigo Bank Stadium (2:05pm)
Sat 8 Mar: Subiaco vs West Perth at Medibank Stadium (4pm)**
Sat 8 Mar: South Fremantle vs Claremont at Fremantle Oval (6:30pm)
Bye: East Fremantle

**West Perth Colts and East Fremantle Colts play each other on Sat 8 Mar as Subiaco Colts won't be playing. Game is at East Fremantle Oval starting at 9am)

Round Three
Sat 15 Mar: Peel Thunder vs South Fremantle at Bendigo Bank Stadium (2:10pm)
Sat 15 Mar: Perth vs East Fremantle at Brownes Stadium (2:05pm)
Bye: Claremont, East Perth, Subiaco, Swan Districts, West Perth

Stolen from Ljp86 on the WAFL board.

East Perth have two preseason hit outs. It will be interesting to see how many of our players feature and who.

Plus Waterman might be playing for Claremont Colts @ Fremantle Oval at around 12:00 - 1PM?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back