WE finally have an experienced coach!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, the rah rah crowd say yes, and ignore the way this was achieved. Outright disgraceful. We are run by snakes in the grass, who think corporate cultures can be grafted on to a footy club.

Everyone in the game knows Rosich is an egotistical knob of the highest order, and wrt Harris, in the ad game it is all about the biggest swinging dick.

Said it before, but the Steve years will be our wilderness years.

we have been in the wilderness since this club was formed. trying to be the nice club is what's cost us in the past. playing "nice" doesn't win you flags. this is a business, and i'm glad it's being treated like one.

Ah yes, the rah rah crowd say yes, and ignore the way this was achieved. Outright disgraceful. We are run by snakes in the grass, who think corporate cultures can be grafted on to a footy club.

Everyone in the game knows Rosich is an egotistical knob of the highest order, and wrt Harris, in the ad game it is all about the biggest swinging dick.

I sure you can still get McManus back :thumbsu:
Maybe Clive can make a comeback.

Those were the days

When Drum was sacked, we were lambasted for doing it publicly; Drum was sacked by media, effectively. Now that the club has gone about it behind closed doors, the club is lambasted.

Well, make up your f&^king minds!

What you mean experienced as in he's been a senior coach since 2007...? Like Mark Harvey has been a senior coach since 2007? Sounds like Harvey is just as experienced as him...

Can't stand Lyon - hate the way he talks, hate the way he walks, hate the way he always looks all smug, hate the way he coached the Saints to be as boring as freakin' batshit...

Not convinced he's that much of an upgrade...

Something else I hate - the disrepectful, secret *ing squirrel way our club went about getting this all lined up. I think to afford Harvey no dignity or respect reeks of arrogance of the highest order... right now I don't much like the Freo Footy Club and part of me would like see Lyon fail spectacularly, while Harvey goes on to bring a premiership to some other club...

Of course the other part...
This sounds like someone big to do with Fremantle, that pours big dollars to the club similar like Richard Pratt, demanded Ross Lyon.

And here come the dockerland faithfull, is the site down ?

Organise a march to bring back cuddles and the old jumper.

from memory i think zac clarke and our young brigade played pretty well in round 20 when we played the saints friday night. coincidentally lyons has apparently been chatting to freo for about 5 weeks... looks like lyons caught up with rosich after the game and had a bit of a chat...

When Drum was sacked, we were lambasted for doing it publicly; Drum was sacked by media, effectively. Now that the club has gone about it behind closed doors, the club is lambasted.

Well, make up your f&^king minds!

Haha, this is similar to what I came to post. There seems to be a whole multitude of people expressing how poor of a decision we made in getting rid of Harvs. I would really like to read the same people's thoughts if it became common knowledge we passed on getting Lyon to stick with Harvey. We would be hearing "omg cant believe failmantle passed on lion lololol" instead of the "ohhh such a low blow freo, he built the list had lotssssss of injuries would be top 4 next year" we are hearing now. Damned if we do, damned if we don't it seems. People don't think about why is it we had so many injuries. Or the players played out of position. Or the run ons we couldn't stop. Or the hacks getting gifted games. Or the lack of a coherent gameplan. The list goes on..

Freo have just committed a brutal act of skullduggery most foul out of nothing more than self interest and in flagrant disregard for any form of propriety................

They may well have just arrived as a real footy club.

Freo have just committed a brutal act of skullduggery most foul out of nothing more than self interest and in flagrant disregard for any form of propriety................

I hope so. I'm sick of us just making up the numbers.

Ha ha. Might be the best post of the thread.

I liked Harvey and feel somewhat guttered, but the roof will be in the pudding (sorry, just had to do it). Tend to agree with lach that we have to embrace this, as it certainly has the potential to be a master stroke.

My concern is that if it deson't work we are starting to become another St Kilda or Richmond in the manner of turning on our own

My coincern is that if it deson;t work we are starting to become another St Kilda or Richmond

It's a moonshot proposition, but one the club was right to take. How often have we waited for coaches to develop? One who steps in and sorts s**t out from the first day sounds like what the doctor ordered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon is a failure, fact is he played in 3 Grand Finals loses and choked. He was part of Carlton worse period in over 100 years. I would be guttered if i was you guys, Mark Harvey had a bad run with players injured.

With Sydney '05 they won '06 they lost by a point - saints record is pretty impressive - when was the last time carlton was involved in finals or a GF?

Great mates with Paul Roos - he might start pumping us up a bit now

We'll be right...

And here come the dockerland faithfull, is the site down ?

Organise a march to bring back cuddles and the old jumper.

Ha, yes, this is undoubtedly the end of our aspirations to finish 12th every year and be everyone's favourite second club.

Sure there's risk in this, but not as much as simply hoping for the best next year with Harves. We all know that if we lose games early next year Harvey would have to be unloaded by R12, by which time there are likely to be no senior AFL coaches available. It was the lack of an effective game plan, as well as the public blaming of injuries that did the damage for Mark Harvey.

This is first time Freo have recruited a coach who could have had either of two other gigs, both of which would have allowed him to stay in his home town. Says something positive about the state of both our list and our finances.

BTW, looking forward to the club being fronted with a llttle more gravitas - Harves' crazy uncle routine was starting to wear thin.

Thanks Pie-eyed... I'm very much a people person (read lefty pinko greenie!) and I hate when PEOPLE are treated poorly by corporations.

But I think I just came around.

Lyon is such a negative coach so i hope you dont expect to kick bags of goals and win matches.Saints list is better than yours and look what happened .

I do have a soft side for Freo and have always said if it can't be saints then Freo deserved the chance last year. I wouldn't call Lyon any more experienced then Harvey. Lyon inherriated (sp?) a list and hasn't had to do much to it. Lyon also is a stubborn SOB, he should have changed the game plan durning the 2009 granny - he didn't he stuck with it for the whole 4 qrters. In the wet you change your game plan. Unfortunatly he is defense only, he learnt it at Syd and prefected it with the saints - expect it has failed at 3 granny's so it's not really perfect.

You can't blame a coach who has 16 players on the injury list.

Ross was to lazy to put the work into build Saints which is why he went to a club who already had the hard yards put in. If Freo do get to a granny in the next year or two a large part of that will be thanks to the previous coaching panel and staff.

I'm tearing up, that is inspirational.

IMHO this has been handled exceptionally professionally by Freo. No rumors, quick clean changeover, minimal possible disruption (whether Harvs was hardly done by or Lyon works out is irrelevant).

Well done Dockers.

regardless of whether it was handled properly or not, I am really stoked to have Ross Lyon as the coach of the our club. whatever you think about his defensive tactics, he gets the most out of his players, even those with less skills. I disagree with some of what is said around here about him having a better list at St Kilda as well - I think there is more talent on the Freo list. If he can get the same out of guys like Pitt, Crichton and Sibosado as he has out of Jones and Peake and even to a lesser extent guys like Goddard and Dal Santo then watch out. And his tactics are predictable - which means that the players have to think less about what they are doing and have defined roles to play.

Do anything of you think that if Lyon declined Freo's offer, Freo would have still sacked Harvey anyway or was this a case of lets have a crack at someone better and see what happens and if he doesn't come across we'll stay with who we have.

The way Freo went about recruiting Lyon looks like they targetted him specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back