Wearing of jewellery while playing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Muffo

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2005
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whats the go these days with not being allowed to wear jewellery while playing?

As you all probably know, Damien Mori couldnt play this weekend cos he couldnt get his wedding ring off. Surely if he had it taped up that would be ok..?

This also happened to me a few weeks ago in a final. The ref came to me at half time and told me that i wouldnt be allowed to play the second half cos of my labret (piercing below my lip). The thing is that i had it taped up, and had played the whole first half with it. And also played most of the season with it taped up, and it didnt matter then. Because i had never taken it out, it was in too tight and thought that i wouldnt be able to get it out. So i therefore cracked the sh*ts, throwing my gear, belting walls etc. While sitting on the bench, i thought bugger it, so i tried as hard as i could and somehow i got it out. I ended up playing about the last 10 minutes and was so annoyed that i just wanted to hurt someone. We ended up losing 3-2, so it was a crap day all round.

(* its only a low grade that has interchange bench, thats how i got back on).

arnt wedding rings acceptiable if u put tape arround it to stop it from showing - dont know so plz correct me

i can understand, neck chains, earings and watchs but a wedding ring?????

roostersgal4eva said:
arnt wedding rings acceptiable if u put tape arround it to stop it from showing - dont know so plz correct me

i can understand, neck chains, earings and watchs but a wedding ring?????

You tape it to protect other players, not to stop it from showing.

A ring can be no different to a knuckleduster if you hit/scratch someone with it.

dyertribe said:
You tape it to protect other players, not to stop it from showing.

A ring can be no different to a knuckleduster if you hit/scratch someone with it.

thats a bit of a laugh DH. maybe and its a big if, someone could catch something in it. As long as the rule is applied to all and is reasonable though, theres no problem with it.

Its strange - When ive been playing some refs dont care others do. I wear a bracelet and a chain and I like to play with them on (superstitous). I used to tape the bracelet up and just make sure the chain wouldnt show...

Some refs would pull you up others would not...

outback jack said:
thats a bit of a laugh DH. maybe and its a big if, someone could catch something in it. As long as the rule is applied to all and is reasonable though, theres no problem with it.

Why are most if not all safety measures implemented?

"In the unlikely event".

Same reason lace-up guernseys were banned in footy.

It's unlikely someone will get their finger caught in one, but it can happen - no different to someone with an untaped wedding band catching someone in the face with it while jumping for a header or fending off.

Stupid rules- honestly, a wedding ring (particularly one that is taped) can't do any damage. There are so many more dangerous things in a soccer game that can injure a player.

I feel sorry for Damian.

roostersgal4eva said:

No jewellery is legal. Both because of safety and because it is not part of the uniform.

By the rules you should be asked to remove it.

Most people tape it up because a ref isn't going to ask you to remove a bandage. You just claim you cut your finger cutting spuds. Most refs let you get away with it ... but that is all they are doing, turning a blind eye.

If you get away with it then great. If the ref pulls you up then he is just going by the book and you can't really complain ... until he starts officiating and proves he has no concept of what a tackle from behind is :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back