Family & Relationships Wedding's on a Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

For some reason i am invited to 3 wedding's in the next 6 months that are all on a friday :eek:

Now am i the only person who thinks this is crap like its not that easy for some people to get the day off work and it puts alot off people in tough positions

I also believe its a tight ass way to get married like if you can not afford to do it on a saturday maybe look at not having a wedding or something small

So is this something that will become more common and what do people think about this

You're a Collingwood supporter and live in the western suburbs - perhaps your friends assumed their guests probably don't have jobs to go to anyway? :D

You're a Collingwood supporter and live in the western suburbs - perhaps your friends assumed their guests probably don't have jobs to go to anyway? :D

Haha because there is not one nice area to live in the Western Surburbs

so, just so i can get this absolutely clear

you've been invited to 3 weddings - in which you will have access to copious amounts of alcohol, food and bridemaids, which will not interfere with footy or cricket - and you think this is a dick move?

did you know a friday wedding is usually 25% cheaper than a saturday wedding?

Do you have to take the full day? I went to a Friday wedding a few years ago. The ceremony was late afternoon, photos at sunset and then a dinner reception. I went straight from the office and I only had to take a couple of hours off.

Need to take the full day off for both

25% cheaper is great but friday's would be a problem for alot off people to get days off and who wants to use there annual leave days on weddings

It has another financial benefit - trims the fat in your guestlist. You weed out the hangers-on that'd come along on the weekend for a free feed, but don't care enough to take time off work.

The more I think about it, the more attractive a Friday wedding is sounding.

I went to one in Melbourne last year (i'm in Traralgon). Left Thursday night, sayed the night at a familys place, wedding Friday, caught up with friends Saturday, drove back Saturday night, played soccer on Sunday.

Didnt ruin any plans. Was actually a pretty good weekend away.

Had a good friends wedding this year on a Friday night and it was great. Made it into a long weekend. Service started at 5 so only had to take a half day off work. And if it is true that it is a 25% saving, which will most likely equate to thousands of dollars, then why not have it on a Friday. Also leave the rest of the weekend free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had ours on a Friday, it wasnt a cost factor either it was availability in our time frame.

In regards to people taking time off work, unless you give a short amount of notification with the invites, taking time off work (honestly one day) is not an issue with guests.

In regards to people taking time off work, unless you give a short amount of notification with the invites, taking time off work (honestly one day) is not an issue with guests.

I'm glad you feel able to make that decision on other people's behalf.

I'm glad you feel able to make that decision on other people's behalf.

WTF??

Are you serious? First off Im not making any decisions on their behalf, its an assumption. The same assumption is being made for a Saturday or Sunday regardless, it might not be work but people usually have many numerous committments over the weekend. If the wedding isnt a priority and you would prefer to work (or whatever) then its your choice.

If your honestly in a job that you cant take a Friday off (or any day really) with a few months notice well.......

Love Friday weddings. Short work week, excuse for a day off and you still have the whole weekend.

If my budget only extended to a Friday wedding, it wouldn't concern me in the slightest. If people don't care enough to attend or want to bitch or moan - bugger them. People suggesting they shouldn't have a wedding if they can't afford a Saturday one are bell ends.

However, my wedding was on a Saturday.

You should count yourself lucky that 3 couples think enough of you to A) invite you to their wedding and B) It could have been GRAND FINAL DAY. :mad:

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. :eek:

Not just the finance factor for a Friday wedding to consider. A working couple who are getting married have to take into consideration getting the same time off together if they are planning a decent honeymoon and availability of venus of where service (church or park or beach or wherever) and reception being held.

It's not really a free day out when you take into consideration the cost of what you wear (girls point of view), cost of getting to venue and home (taxi for those having a booze up) cost of present..all adds up especially if you've been invited to the bucks/hens night - more money there. That's not even taking into consideration if you went to their engagement party.

The joys of being in your 20's to early 30's I guess.

It all depends on how close you are to the married couple tbh

If I had a really good friend/people in my social groups wedding on a Friday I think it would be awesome. The short week, plus the entire weekend off afterwards, and getting to sink piss with your mates for free (even if you have to pay its still not bad) plus the whole event, I think it would be awesome for the people immediately involved in the wedding couple.

On the other hand though, if its somebody you dont really like and you're a +1 or something like that and are oblidged to go on a Friday, it can suck massively.

For some reason i am invited to 3 wedding's in the next 6 months that are all on a friday :eek:

Now am i the only person who thinks this is crap like its not that easy for some people to get the day off work and it puts alot off people in tough positions

I also believe its a tight ass way to get married like if you can not afford to do it on a saturday maybe look at not having a wedding or something small

So is this something that will become more common and what do people think about this

I've been invited to 2 weddings (in australia) this year (another one in the states). Both the Australian ones were/are on a friday. Like you i was a bit confused by this but i asked another friend (who got married last year on a friday) and she said that Saturdays are booked out years in advance. It's really hard to get a saturday wedding which is why fridays are becoming popular.
The american wedding was on a sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back