Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

hip thrusts aren't a traditional isolation and technically it isnlt as it crosses the hip and knee joints but it trains 1 muscle only - the glutes...so it stands to reason that if you're doing a hip thrust then you're wanting to train the glutes so if you're not actually feeling it in the glutes then why are you doing it?

instead of thinking of a specific number of reps for isolation exercises i think its better to think of for as many reps as i can feel the muscle working whether it be 3, 8 or 15...then you use a wt that lets you reach the specific reps you're after to match your goal

i did try hip thrusts for max effort type of stuff (5 rep max beating each week) but i stopped once i wasn't feeling it in my glutes enough which was 130kg-ish
I've found the First Set Last with it's higher reps (or shortly the BBB) has been good for hitting the hypertrophy side of it, with the 5/3/1 sets being good for the strength side. Hardly chasing a J-Lo booty, but even as a bloke after having a flat arse for 40 years, the wife admiring it now there is some curve doesn't hurt the ego. :p

i'm not even talking hypertrophy, it has a short life span compared to other big leg exercises which i'm pretty sure you can't do (is that right?) so to ensure you can stay with it, maybe go back to some higher reps like i suggested above and work back to 531...so 864 progressing to 753 to 642 and back to 531 for a cycle or 2 of each

i'm not even talking hypertrophy, it has a short life span compared to other big leg exercises which i'm pretty sure you can't do (is that right?) so to ensure you can stay with it, maybe go back to some higher reps like i suggested above and work back to 531...so 864 progressing to 753 to 642 and back to 531 for a cycle or 2 of each
At the moment the progression is still happening, but my hip thrust to front squat ratio is high, so I expect I'll need to switch that up before I stall out Bench, shoulder press and front squats with 5/3/1. I'll keep your suggestions in mind when it does stall out.

I have hit a serious deadlift plateau just cannot break it - anyone give me some advice how to get over it?

I have hit a serious deadlift plateau just cannot break it - anyone give me some advice how to get over it?

Im definitely no expert but speaking from experience I recently broke my squat and deadlift plateau simply from just wearing Converse shoes.

In the past I've worn running shoes and often barefoot if there isnt much people around, but read somewhere that plain ol Converse works as a good alternative to forking out for proper weightlifting shoes I remembered I owned a pair that I havent worn since high school, still fits perfect.
Barefoot was good (def beats running shoes) but converse shoes just gives even greater grip.

Do I look like a confused tweeny, high schooler rocking up to gym with footy shorts, singlet and high top connies on? Probably, but I dont care. :D

Im definitely no expert but speaking from experience I recently broke my squat and deadlift plateau simply from just wearing Converse shoes.

In the past I've worn running shoes and often barefoot if there isnt much people around, but read somewhere that plain ol Converse works as a good alternative to forking out for proper weightlifting shoes I remembered I owned a pair that I havent worn since high school, still fits perfect.
Barefoot was good (def beats running shoes) but converse shoes just gives even greater grip.

Do I look like a confused tweeny, high schooler rocking up to gym with footy shorts, singlet and high top connies on? Probably, but I dont care. :D

There is a guy at my gym who takes off his super expensive Nike's and gets his black Dunlop Volley's on - must be the same logic

I got stuck at about 145 for months last year.......My advice would be to switch up the deadlifts. Maybe don't go as hard and just get a high rep count for a few sessions. Maybe your body isnt fully recovered from the last deadlift session ?

I'm not sure if I talked about this before, but how much does genetics play a part in lifting.

I was able to get up to 170kg in deadlifting within I think 12 weeks, yet I can spend a year on bench and only just hit 100 (Calculated) as of 3 weeks ago. I'll admit I've had half arsed periods of months, and I've given up working out at home, because it just doesn't work. But I want to get in the gym and do a few cycles in a row at worst over the coming months.

I already know I have a +6 arm span, which definitely won't help benching.

I once saw a video of a girl on youtube, with really short arms do 86kg with * all training. And Rhaea Stinn/Fowler can bloody lift 115kg raw with no exaggerated arch, but her deadlift seemed weaker than her opponents. No doubt she's bloody strong, and makes me feel so ******* weak, but how much does arm length play a part in bench; really.

I'm not sure if I talked about this before, but how much does genetics play a part in lifting.

I was able to get up to 170kg in deadlifting within I think 12 weeks, yet I can spend a year on bench and only just hit 100 (Calculated) as of 3 weeks ago. I'll admit I've had half arsed periods of months, and I've given up working out at home, because it just doesn't work. But I want to get in the gym and do a few cycles in a row at worst over the coming months.

I once saw a video of a girl on youtube, with really short arms do 86kg with **** all training. And Rhaea Stinn/Fowler can bloody lift 115kg raw with no exaggerated arch, but her deadlift seemed weaker than her opponents. No doubt she's bloody strong, and makes me feel so ******* weak, but how much does arm length play a part in bench; really.

Plays a huge part, as an example: my deadlift and squat are both poo - yet I swing 64kgs for 10 reps.

We are all built very differently and due to that make up we have good and bad exercises. The trick is finding out the ones your bad at because you simply don't have the range of motion and avoiding them - they are the dangerous ones. (not saying don't spend time on mobility, spend heaps of time on it!)

For me, RDL are out. Snatch and jerk and military press are all out too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I don't think a 170kg is that impressive given a 100kg bench press. By that I mean, you're writing implies that you're underperforming in bench dramatically compared to your deadlift, but I think we've already ascertained why that is.

1) You've got a longer arm span. You're going to be at a disadvantage (even though it's not that great). You can also control your arch and how far down you're coming when you're benching. I'm not advocating cheating, but I don't really feel unless you're comparing 7' to 5' that it's a huge issue.

2) You've had half-arsed periods of months and I'd argue not a proper regime. Speaks for itself.

3) Being taller and longer arm span does actually help in pulling exercises too, so you'd likely find a disparity (even minor) is mirrored from chest to back for other exercises too if you're wondering

4) 170kg is a good deadlift. 100kg is a good bench press. I don't actually think these are too far off. Around 2 years ago when I was really lacking in my chest (I also weighed ~70) I was deadlifting 130-140 and benching 65. Now my bench is hitting 100 and I'm around your weights. I also would love to get a deadlift of 180+ for that extra plate, but I haven't thought or come across concerns at these ratios that you have.

Good lifts though man.
Mind you, the period from December to Feb this year was really strong, I took my bench from 86kg to 97kg, thanks to cptkirk where I put in 2 solid cycles. My mistake in the following months, was trying too hard and letting my bravado get the better of me, single lifting more than I should have been, and failing to finish the workout properly. I just need to put in a few cycles over the next few months at a minimum. Another mistake was not deloading after reaching my 85kg set max. I just kept losing strength.

My point on the deadlift, is that I hardly have to even try to get it up to a good weight. If I put in a solid year, I'm confident of pulling in 2.75bw at least. I haven't done any legs for awhile, due to laziness but I've started again, and just watch my numbers fly right up.

Plays a huge part, as an example: my deadlift and squat are both poo - yet I swing 64kgs for 10 reps.

We are all built very differently and due to that make up we have good and bad exercises. The trick is finding out the ones your bad at because you simply don't have the range of motion and avoiding them - they are the dangerous ones. (not saying don't spend time on mobility, spend heaps of time on it!)

I can't possibly do overhead presses, or snatches, because my arms don't raise even close to 20 degrees from upright. no flexibility.

I struggled with squats until I tried yoga......solved!

I can't possibly do overhead presses, or snatches, because my arms don't raise even close to 20 degrees from upright. no flexibility.

a previous injury or just the way it is?

a previous injury or just the way it is?
coach guy a while ago said it was from something like too much development on the bench press. I spent 2 months trying to stretch the shoulders with minimal effort. I did this by leaning over with both arms outwards and pushing down on the barbell of the bench press. I'm not keen on olympic lifting anyway. But it would be good to work out the stabilizing muscles, when you hold weight overhead. ITs a strength in its own. If you're not a lifter, try holding 100+kg over your head, its ******* hard.

coach guy a while ago said it was from something like too much development on the bench press. I spent 2 months trying to stretch the shoulders with minimal effort. I did this by leaning over with both arms outwards and pushing down on the barbell of the bench press. I'm not keen on olympic lifting anyway. But it would be good to work out the stabilizing muscles, when you hold weight overhead. ITs a strength in its own. If you're not a lifter, try holding 100+kg over your head, its ******* hard.

I got a lot more out of my shoulder ROM by switching to dumbell pressing on a fitball and using your body as a bench. Requires activating your core, glutes and hammys but I found the shape of the fitball opened up my chest a lot better. The stabilisation needed because of the unsteady platform crosses over to my normal bench very well. I've never benched 100 when I've weighed under 90kgs but now I can do it at 83kgs - all the while never going over 30kg dumbells.

Re the bolded bit. For that reason I've moved into single arm Kettlebell stuff. I can snatch and jerk with a KB with good form and hold lockout positions pretty comfortably. The barbell equivalent absolutely destroys my shoulders. If anything, the kettlebells are improving my ROM.

what does your last 12 months of training it look like?

I have progressed about 1 to 2.5kgs a week all year. I am only deadlifting once a week now on a 5 x 5 and only do max 145 for two sets. Being an old fart I do a lot of compound exercises but lately have devoted one day a week to leg day and do deadlifts first on that day - I just cannot push beyond 145 - I have lifted 150 a couple of times but only for two or three reps. The other days I do shoulders/arms and chest/back. Interested in your thoughts kirky. I have been smashing the cardio lately - running for an hour at least two or three times a week

I am a brain dead and feeble fifty year old

Last edited:
Yeah but that's more a case of genetics, luck, consistency etc where you're just doing well with your deadlift. Anyone capable of deadlifting 2x BW is going to be fairly lean and obviously strong. If you're capable of deadlifting 3x bw naturally then compete.

With your bench, it's quite possible your leap was due to the fact you were underperforming; you've got the muscle and strength (and quite possibly good shoulders and arms/triceps to assist) and your chest was capable of getting those gains in. I think that's a really good jump, though I think most people should be capable of getting 7.5kgs in 3 months, and you've got 9. That's obviously good, but I still think you're expecting more of yourself than what's to be expected. Sure that's a great mentality to have and it's good you're looking to better yourself, but my point is you can actually explain why it is the way it is and therefore you've got the answers.

Aside from that, I'd recommend 5/3/1 to break plateaus and work at weights that are at the upper end of your bw ratios (eg advanced+ on exrx)
I'm currently on the original workout that got me that 9kg gain. Once I build up to my new pb, hopefully 87.5k I'll go to the smolov jr. I tried it 2 weeks ago, but I wasn't where I thought I was. Then will go to the singles sets I was trying to do in march.

I once saw a video of a girl on youtube, with really short arms do 86kg with **** all training. And Rhaea Stinn/Fowler can bloody lift 115kg raw with no exaggerated arch, but her deadlift seemed weaker than her opponents. No doubt she's bloody strong, and makes me feel so ******* weak, but how much does arm length play a part in bench; really.

i can't say it plays a part at all but really only at the elite/top end sort of stuff...after 2 "serious" bench press cycles and not a lot of consistently from then to now you're not there yet - correct programming can easily overcome it (partials, wt gain, weak point training, pin presses, accomodating resistance etc) and even then it really depends what your after...are you after a big bench for the numbers, aesthetics, competition, other sport performance etc

1 - you'll get good at what you do a lot (swings vs deads/squats)
2 - why don't you have the range of motion to them?
3 - can it be rectified?
4 - then correct programming can be used to progress to the lift you can't do (starting at knee ht rack pull and finishing with deads from the floor for example)

in the end do you want or need to to do these lifts? but to not do a lift because you can't do it can be a bit of a cop out, i mean many blokes can;t do bench presses properly from limitations but they still do cos they're easy but the dame problem with squats and deads means they don't do them because they are actually hard to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back