Toast Welcome Jayden Hunt (Unrestricted Free Agent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Never was a fan of the red and blue headband, I’m sure it will look a ton better in blue and gold (yellow)

Pretty happy with this pick up, didn’t cost much and good to bring in a bloke from a recently successful club

We didn’t. Melbourne receive it as compensation, that is to say the AFL created the pick and inserted it into the draft order, bumping the picks behind it down. If Melbourne sign some free agents, they’ll likely lose that pick.

Our draft hand stays unaffected (well, our picks after 53 might be bumped down one spot).
Legend, thanks for explaining

I'm puzzled by this signing.

Given we're likely to "hit the draft hard" over the next three years at least, I'd argue we need very good midfielders in their early to mid-20s.

The signing indicates the club believes they can rise up the ladder 2011-esque, but I doubt it.

Jayden Hunt talking on trade radio. Plenty of references to us wanting to implement a more attacking game style.

Given we're likely to "hit the draft hard" over the next three years at least, I'd argue we need very good midfielders in their early to mid-20s.

The signing indicates the club believes they can rise up the ladder 2011-esque, but I doubt it.

Alternately why spend hours teaching and developing players to play the style of game you want implemented, when you can pick up a player for free that already does that.

At the very least he is also a teacher and on field director of traffic to assist and guide the young kids.

You don't need to bring all the kids in at once, as thats disjoint, better to stagger the influx of new talent.
New talent needs on field leadership to accelerate its development.

Three years in that role for a 27 year old recruit is astute planning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheppard's retirement, Jetta's departure, and Yeo's injuries have left this spot wide open. We sorely miss a player in our back half with some skill and speed, but who can also play a shutdown role if required.

FB: Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB: Yeo McGovern Hunt
Int: Cole

Not bad

Sheppard's retirement, Jetta's departure, and Yeo's injuries have left this spot wide open. We sorely miss a player in our back half with some skill and speed, but who can also play a shutdown role if required.

FB: Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB: Yeo McGovern Hunt
Int: Cole

Not bad

I think Hough has made it into the B22 in that backline.
Similarly Bazzo has showed plenty too.

for whomst though

I've got a feeling Hurn ain't going to be around much longer.

Yeo could get overtaken if his injury worries persist - although I'm hoping we see him go back to AFL MVP status and go back in the middle anyway.

Duggan or Cole likewise may get overtaken.

Personally I'd already be looking to ease in the Hurn switch. I'm not one for pushing out players just because their 30+ but Hurn is well and truly on the +++++ side of that ledger.

I think Hough has made it into the B22 in that backline.
Similarly Bazzo has showed plenty too.
My guess us Hough stays on a wing until he puts on some size, maybe at that point reassess whether there is a different role for him or not.

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've got a feeling Hurn ain't going to be around much longer.

Yeo could get overtaken if his injury worries persist - although I'm hoping we see him go back to AFL MVP status and go back in the middle anyway.

Duggan or Cole likewise may get overtaken.

Personally I'd already be looking to ease in the Hurn switch. I'm not one for pushing out players just because their 30+ but Hurn is well and truly on the +++++ side of that ledger.

Hurn yes, but Duggan and Cole I'm not sure. I think we forget Cole's form pre-injury. He's a pretty important player if he can get his body right.

Either way, I imagine Hough, Hunt, and Jones will be fighting for the same structural position. I also imagine the list selectors delisted Nelson (a half back/winger) with the intention of replacing that spot with Hunt (an upgrade).

Welcome aboard Hunt

Regular Season Sport GIF by NBA

Well there's a kiss of death if I ever saw one.

Pretty happy with this pick up TBH. We desperately need some leg speed to even be in the game. Should help us generate some attack instead of being stuck in grim defence mode for 90% of games.

Hurn is clearly in his final year. Gaff, Yeo, Shuey, Nic (love him) cripps, and Mcgovern are all pensioners now. The rebuild needs to be fast given that I have very low expectations going into 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back