Player Watch Welcome Max Ramsden, Pick 6 2022 MSD - Debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Ramsden – Sandringham Dragons
19yo – 202cm – 86kg

For his size, Ramsden is close to as good an aerobic athlete as you’ll find. He covers the ground superbly and has added to his ruck craft in his over-age year for the Dragons in the NAB League. Ramsden is the standout option for a club looking at adding a developing ruckman to their list in the mid-season draft.

Love this pick mainly because we now don’t have to use a national draft pick on a project ruck and can use our higher picks for best available talent who most likely won’t be rucks.

Max Ramsden – Sandringham Dragons
19yo – 202cm – 86kg

For his size, Ramsden is close to as good an aerobic athlete as you’ll find. He covers the ground superbly and has added to his ruck craft in his over-age year for the Dragons in the NAB League. Ramsden is the standout option for a club looking at adding a developing ruckman to their list in the mid-season draft.
Another 13-14kgs and he’s good to go. Give the kid the keys to Monkey’s lolly stash and hope he doesn’t get eaten himself 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his weight being 86kg, I note Luke Jackson was only 94kg in draft profiles. I get Max is a bit older now so probably won’t fill out as quick as Luke has - but those who’ve seen him play could he be close to this kind of player for us being that he’s apprently aerobic and athletic. I’m not expecting Jackson caliber output but if we could get somewhere in that ballpark in a few years it would be bloody nice.

Welcome, to find out he was also a Hawks fan really made me more excited.

He looks a real long term prospect and abit of a wait and see how he performs at VFL level + his first pre season at AFL level but he looks supremely gifted.
Agree, he has some standout attributes that make him a tantalizing prospect and fits Sam’s approach of maximizing your weapons, but at this point looks a fair way off from regular games in the seniors.

Thought we’d recruited spider Everett looking at those highlights. Spider with a big tank, now that’d be a player. Looking forward to seeing him develop
Imagine if Spider wasn't an asthmatic smoker that didn't put the effort in training and diet wise. Could have been the GOAT ruck man, instead he was a few AA seasons and a few struggling with form and fitness.

Regarding Max Ramsden cool your jets on the Jackson comparison, Sam Grimley was the same type of player too but couldn't get it done.

What the Hawks said: “He’ll put size on,” Hawks recruiting manager Mark McKenzie told AFL.com.au, adding that Ramsden wouldn’t be limited to a ruck role. He said Hawthorn considered both talent and the Hawks’ needs for the second-half of the season in making their selections. “I think with the pick that we had at pick six, we probably steered toward that talent side,” he said.

What Ramsden said: “It’s a pretty ideal situation. Two of my school mates are there and I go for the Hawks,” he told the AFL broadcast. He said he would model his game after young Melbourne ruckman Luke Jackson.

Regarding Max Ramsden cool your jets on the Jackson comparison, Sam Grimley was the same type of player too but couldn't get it done.

I was more asking if the comparison could be there for the type of ruckman Jackson is due to Ramsden’s stated upsides with being aerobic and athletic. I know there’s a big talent gulf being picked in the MSD versus pick 3 in the national draft. If he can turn out to be half the player Jackson is I’ll be happy.

I was more asking if the comparison could be there for the type of ruckman Jackson is due to Ramsden’s stated upsides with being aerobic and athletic. I know there’s a big talent gulf being picked in the MSD versus pick 3 in the national draft. If he can turn out to be half the player Jackson is I’ll be happy.
You know, not saying he'll play like Jackson at all, but for rucks there really isn't historically a massive talent gulf. They're probably the best example of even spread in the comp.

Reckon if you compared draft pick to performance or games played they'd have the weakest correlation out of any position.

I was more asking if the comparison could be there for the type of ruckman Jackson is due to his stated upsides with being aerobic and athletic. I know there’s a big talent gulf being picked in the MSD versus pick 3 in the national draft. If he can turn out to be half the player Jackson is I’ll be happy.
The other thing to mention is a player comparison is mainly attributed to their game style rather than a players ceiling or floor. Just because they might not end up being as good doesn't mean that they don't play in a similar way. If you follow the NBA you will see that with player comparisons you will be given a players ceiling and a players floor. For example for a prospect like Max Ramsden it would be something like:

Max Ramsden
Ceiling – Luke Jackson
Floor – Sam Grimley

I didn't want to use Jackson as a ceiling comparison as he's only 2.5 seasons into his career but did just for the sake of the process. Anyways if you see a player comparison then it's important to remember that most of the time the player being compared will most of time fall somewhere between the ceiling and floor. Every now and then you'll have one that exceeds expectation and god help you falls below the floor 😂

You know, not saying he'll play like Jackson at all, but for rucks there really isn't historically a massive talent gulf. They're probably the best example of even spread in the comp.

Reckon if you compared draft pick to performance or games played they'd have the weakest correlation out of any position.
I think it’s mainly because rucks take so long to develop. Most rucks start to come into their own from 22+. It’s pretty hard to see if they will develop the necessary traits and body size to perform at the level.

I’d say there’s a pretty big talent gap between ruckman. Just it’s very hard for recruiters to work out who the star rucks will be. Overtime I reckon it will improve though like all drafting has.

Here’s hoping Ramsden is one of the rucks who explodes. Especially as he puts on size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back