Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : MSD Pick 12, Brandon Ryan, debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Judas Priest, given I am nearly twice his age, my metabolism must be on life support. Possibly explains why I start falling asleep on the sofa around 9 o’clock these days.
Go Brandon!
Up until ~23 I could eat constantly, do no exercise or anything and not put on any weight at all. Come 25/26 I have to work my arse off and eat super lean to drop any weight and just looking at weights puts muscle on. Some of the 18 year olds who are built like men I swear must be on PFDs or are just genetic freaks to get to that size so young.

Last edited:
Up until ~23 I could eat constantly, do no exercise or anything and not put on any weight at all. Come 25/26 I have to work my arse off and eat super lean to drop any weight and just looking at weights puts muscle on. Some of the 18 year olds who are built like men I swear must be on PFDs or are just genetic freaks to get to that size so young.
Ha ha, it’s a nice problem to have. ;)

I couldn't gain weight until I hit 20. Since then I look at a chicken nugget and put on 10kg

Really excited to see him make his AFL debut. I hope he is given a good run at a few games at the very least to see what he can do or what he can become. Having a strong KPF or someone who can provide a decent focal point up forward is so important for us overall. Hope he can have an impact and wish him all the best.

If we get Liam Ryan as well, it's going to be tough telling the Ryan twins apart on the footy field. I hope they have vastly different numbers.

There's just under an hour now until Brandon Ryan makes his AFL debut. The realisation that he's playing AFL will undoubtedly be hitting his mind now, along with the nerves that come with playing at this level. I say good luck to him. He's 25 years old, 200cm tall, and clearly a hard worker. He is worth taking a chance on. At 200cm, he isn't the athletic type that the King brothers or Max Ramsden are, but he is agile enough. In my opinion, he is an undeniable presence in the air at the VFL level that I think will translate to the AFL. His long arms enforce his aerial presence even more. His kicking technique is certainly one of the most peculiar I have ever seen, but it is clearly very effective for him. As WWSD said on Friday, arguably the best part about his game is the follow up work he does once the ball hits the grounds inside 50. He does indeed get a lot of his goals from general play. Well, good luck to him. He could be anything, but he is worth giving a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halftime of his AFL debut. Brandon Ryan looks up to the task. His 200cm frame makes him an imposing target in the air, with him already claiming 4 marks. His lead-up work is much better than Koschitzke, Greene, etc. He needs to work on his partnership with Mitchell Lewis, but I could see him being the partner Lewis needs. He moves much more like a ruck than other key position players of his height (King brothers, Ramsden, Sam De Koning), but he moves well enough. Well done to him for kicking his first goal. We'll need a few more from him, but it's a good start.

Twin towers, watch Breust kick six.
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Thought he was ok but got pushed off the ball way too easily a few times, needs to hit the gym obviously.
Due to the fact he’s not physically ready we didn’t play him as the second ruck, I think if he’s going to make it then that’s his go.
Hopefully he can put on the kg’s as he has plenty of upside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back