Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

- 21 year old uni student who thinks he's smarter and knows more about today's game than anyone on this board.

- grew up in mentone and was a beda boy

- currently working as a bartender and goal is to finish my economics and financing degree and have a go at becoming the daryl Morey of the afl with the analytics movement and changing how we measure he Effiencny and effectiveness of the game.

- also I hate spending draft picks on crappy KPD's and tom lamb

i1VPXN1.gif

That's an awesome story Austinn, didn't realise you were such an interesting fan. You have a very good grip of the game for someone who didn't have it rammed down their throat from childhood. Always been a great poster too.

Thanks mate! Likewise, I'm sure! Do you still have your granddad's jumper? One less Carlton fan is like two Saints fans!

24 year old uni student.

Made my username when I thought I would just be a listener and not a caller. Sometimes annoys me but not enough for me to pay to change it (I think that's how it works?)

Live in Richmond. Great Grandad played with the Saints so the whole family goes for them except my older brother, who goes for Carlton.

Hi all, 54 year old guy, Mum a tiger Dad a magpie, I started a Tiger until 5 in 1965 when my eldest sister converted me to the Saints, great timing, won 10 cents of Dad in 1966 flag.
The first Saints game I remember going to was round 1 1967 Dad took me to Moorabbin to watch the flag unfurl, pretty good for a magpie supporter.
A great time of my footy watching life was being a social club member at Moorabbin in the 80's, didn't win many games but had a ball.
Wife and daughter bloody Carlton supporters but they know more about the Saints than the Blues and I got the son on board with the Saints.

32, male, born and raised in Scotland.
Started watching AFL as a kid (it was on TV Sunday mornings next to Kabbadi and Sumo wrestling), picked St Kilda based on there being an island here in Scotland of the same name. Constantly in the situation of people seeing my member scarf and thinking I'm a Southampton FC fan and I have to explain about AFL.

Run a business consultancy as a job but as a sport obsessive have dedicated spare time to playing then coaching and studying it without being quite smart enough to get as far as sports science.
Only ever been to Australia for a total of about 60 days; as a total footy geek I insisted on dragging my wife on a footy tour; Moorabbin, TBBO, Waverley, Docklands and MCG and we stopped into Casey too, then Claremont, Subi and East Freemantle in WA. The sum of footy I've seen in person is to have played one low-level game in WA, visited 5 clubs including 2 as a coaching observer, watched two VFL clubs train, an AFL semi final at MCG and a WAFL final.
Get up at 4am most weeks to watch Saints games.
Now run the AFL league here in Scotland, as part of AFL Europe.

Frustrating life when none of your co-workers or mates know who Robert Harvey or Gary Ablett are, let alone share a view on whether Tom Lee can be reborn as a fullback!

Last edited:
Started watching AFL as a kid (it was on TV Sunday mornings next to Kabbadi and Sumo wrestling), picked St Kilda based on there being an island here in Scotland of the same name. Constantly in the situation of people seeing my member scarf and thinking I'm a Southampton FC fan and I have to explain about AFL.

Run a business consultancy as a job but as a sport obsessive have dedicated spare time to playing then coaching and studying it without being quite smart enough to get as far as sports science.
Only ever been to Australia for a total of about 60 days; as a total footy geek I insisted on dragging my wife on a footy tour; Moorabbin, TBBO, Waverley, Docklands and MCG and we stopped into Casey too. The sum of footy I've seen in person is to have played one low-level game in WA, visited 5 clubs including 2 as a coaching observer, watched two VFL clubs train, an AFL semi final at MCG and a WAFL final.

Frustrating life when none of your co-workers or mates know who Robert Harvey or Gary Ablett are, let alone share a view on whether Tom Lee can be reborn as a fullback!
Great stuff mate.

23, male. Recent university graduate and still work at the uni 4 days a week as a research assistant.
From Hobart but moved to Thornbury bit over 2 years ago.
Old mans side is were Essendon/Carlton supports and Mum's are Essendon/Dogs supporters. I picked St. Kilda because I liked the symbol in the newspaper o_O

Played 2 games of footy after being a soccer goalie. After the second game the school told me that I was giving them a bad image (wasn't used to the niggle in the game so I kept decking people) and to instead just focus on my rowing.

Saw this on a lot of other boards, thought especially for new posters would be good as a first pit stop.
I'll get the ball rolling..
Male.
Grew up in a small town called upwey, now live in carlscum.
Love the saints, love Jack billings.

I see Joop's grand scheme, now. He planned to make this thread all along.

>spend months claiming to have ties to knowledge on Sloane
>slowly ramps up excitement regarding Rory's potential arrival at the club
>excitement hits fever pitch, as Joop claims Rory is all but signed at this point
>makes this thread to divulge personal info
>subtly drops hint that he is from the same town as Sloane
>everyone eats his every word
>PLOT TWIST: Joop is actually a 63 year old Mauritian man living in Antarctica

Thanks mate! Likewise, I'm sure! Do you still have your granddad's jumper? One less Carlton fan is like two Saints fans!

No long gone, I sold my old wooly Nicky Winmar jumper from 97 to some guy on SS for $150 so I don't think I'm very sentimental. I wasn't on the Blues for long but my brother keeps reminding me of a photo in a Blues T shirt a relative gave me...he stuck with the Blues. We actually grew up in a hippy commune in Nimbin in northern NSW and came back to Melbourne at about 5yo. Moved to Carlton when hippies took over the suburb. Footy was the thing I identified that could stop me from being a long haired weirdo at school. It was the universal bond in a multicultural area. Anyway my Grandfather got me onto the Saints...I still blame him.

24 year old uni student.

Made my username when I thought I would just be a listener and not a caller. Sometimes annoys me but not enough for me to pay to change it (I think that's how it works?)

Live in Richmond. Great Grandad played with the Saints so the whole family goes for them except my older brother, who goes for Carlton.

Can I ask who your great grandfather was?

41 male from south yarra. Started following saints since 2005 after my colleague forced me to go with her for footy match, pies v saints, She was collingwood supporter, i started following saints just to tease her but then i got serious into following saints, never looked back since 2005. Red, Black and White for life.

Male 49, I like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.
From, Seymour, Swifts Creek, Avenel, Geelong, Broadford, Geelong, Avenel then England, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Derrington, back to Aus, Swifts Creek, Avenel, Essendon, Pascoe Vale, Coburg, The Creek again, Rowville, Coburg, Hawthorn, The Creek again, Essendon and now back at Swifts Creek for the rest of my allotted.

Played a lot of Soccer, Football and Cricket, done a lot seen a lotSaints fan since the age of 5.
Complicated, difficult, bad tempered and don't like computers, Mick Malthouse, James Hird, and losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From, Seymour, Swifts Creek, Avenel, Geelong, Broadford, Geelong, Avenel then England, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Derrington, back to Aus, Swifts Creek, Avenel, Essendon, Pascoe Vale, Coburg, The Creek again, Rowville, Coburg, Hawthorn, The Creek again, Essendon and now back at Swifts Creek for the rest of my allotted.

Played a lot of Soccer, Football and Cricket, done a lot seen a lotSaints fan since the age of 5.
Complicated, difficult, bad tempered and don't like computers, Mick Malthouse, James Hird, and losing.
Just moved a few times!

22, Male. Live in the South Eastern Suburbs. Work in retail but got a current application to Victoria Police. Let's just hope I can get over this torn MCL in my knee soon so that I can complete my fitness testing! (Which I did playing football of course) :(

Been a Saints fan since I was 3 or 4 thanks to my Mum taking me to Waverly every week! If only the AFL kept that stadium. Hard to pick my all time favourite player. Would be a toss up between Harvey, Hayes and Milney.

58. Born in Sydney, Dad got moved to Melbourne when I was 5 with his job. Went to Beaumaris State School, and was bemused to find kids at school in their footy jumpers. I was learning to read and the name St Kilda looked different to all the others and caught my eye. So the Saints it was.

My best mate at school was a Saints supporter called Neil Longden, now Lofty Longden a radio/racing/golf guy. Recently reconnected with him after all this time. Went to see the Saints with my Rugby loving Dad in 63 and 64 at the Junction, and then Moorabbin 65-67 before we moved back to Sydney. Dad and I were at the 66 GF...in fact all the finals. Often went to the footy with Lofty in those years, and we would get there during the 1st Quarter of the Reserves.. And we would go to Moorabbin after school to training. Great days.

The story of following the Saints goes on, but that's where it started. Been in the UK for 26 years now. Member for nearly 20. Watch every game on the Internet.

Can we assume you are either in witness protection, or that you are just ahead of your creditors chasing debts???

I'm 56, and in business with distribution, internet and property businesses. Born Barooga in Southern Riverina (parents dairy farmers), grew up high country of NE Victoria (parents country publicans). Went away to boarding school at Assumption College for the end of high school. Uni and then a primary school teacher in Victoria and then Top End of NT for 15 years. Lived on Nguiu on AFL mad Bathurst Island north of Darwin, then in Darwin. Now live on waterfront on Sunshine Coast, planting huge tropical garden for shade and me sleeping in.

Growing up dad was a Saints tragic who with mum (Richmond) was at 66 Grand Final. On mums side we grew up with relatives playing / coaching / club presidents at Fitzroy, North Melbourne, Richmond and Essendon. Mum sent eldest three boys to stay with our Richmond playing relation for 4 days, when we were young, in the hope that time with him, in rooms, watching Tigers etc would get us barracking for them. The second eldest jumped ship, but the rest of us stuck by dad and St Kilda.

Played school boy football and was not only not good enough to go to VFL, but was also injured every year playing from 10 to to eventually retiring at 22. With 3 knee reconstructions and multiple broken bones, should have developed an interest in poker, instead of football. No one on Saints BF board would have persevered with me on any club list anywhere in the country, with my fondness for accidents and injury.

Went to 97, 2009, 2010 (both) Grand Finals and will be there if we contend again. Have 3 daughters, who are all away now at Uni and who are all proud St Kilda Members. As I told my daughters all the time when they were growing up, "anyone can follow teams like Essendon and Carlton", but real supporters follow teams like St Kilda."

Last edited:
33 year old male. Grew up a stone's throw away from the Zebs home ground and currently live in Bentleigh. I run a software company, and am married with 2 kids. My wife and her family are very keen Cats supporters. In the lead up to the 09 GF I made a drunken bet that are first child would barrack for the winning team, as a result my little girl currently supports the Cats. I have conceded for now, but will work on her as she gets a bit older. Our second is young but will most definitely be a Saints man.

My whole family, and extended family have always lived in the Bayside area and they all support the Saints. My grandparents & mum where lucky enough to be there for the 66 win, I have been to all of our GF's in my lifetime apart from the draw in 2010. So my GF record is 0-3 at the minute, might watch from home the next time we make one.

My favourite Saints memories:
-Watching Plugger at Moorabbin with the old man;
-The 04 season, particularly the first 10 games. We were an incredible team to watch in that era;
-Beating Geelong in 09 when Gardner took the screamer at the end of the game. Incredible game of footy, and beating Geelong was extra sweet for me.

I'm 24 years old, male and work at the commonwealth bank as a home lender. Played alot of footy including tac footy with everyone's favourite spud jack watts.

Live south Eastern suburbs, favourite saints memories would include..... Ts40's long bomb, the Joe Blake 4 goal game against the dorks in 08 and obviously the Gardiner mark.

Favourite past saint was always harves,Roo made my heart flutter in 08-09 and current is billings.

Major sports fanatics. Love the bulls and drose. Love Leeds United and radio stream most weeks...yes I am a tragic.

34 Years Old, Male. Born in NW Tassie and now reside in Brisbane. Started a Financial Planning firm with a mate about 6 years ago, going well. Married and have 2 daughters, both Saints members, but still not old enough to really determine who they follow. We attend a lot of Lions games, however hoping the copious amounts of RW&B paraphernalia within our house will get them over the line. Wife, grew up in Brisbane, had no idea what she was in for when she married me (from a STK.FC pov) but now she understands that I don't just follow the Saints, i'm entrenched, it's part of my make up, its my one true passion. I am known to miss family events just to catch them on the Tele. Thinking of a third and preying for a boy, if so, I have already told my wife he will be named Lenny.

Old man was a Saints man, as was his uncle. Favorite player of all time is undoubtedly Plugger, but have loved watching and supporting Bourke, Banger, Milne, Lenny, and now Roo. Have a feeling Luke Dunstan will become my next favorite. (disclaimer, if we get R.Sloane, i will get 4 jumpers with his name and number - my fav player outside of Saints)

Traveled to the 09 and 10,10 GF's. Disappointing, but no regrets.

Had a few beers with Stewey Loewe and Franky Peckett at the Ashes a few years back (the day Mitch Johnson tore the poms a newie!!!)

Both my dogs are members also.

Only ever been to Australia for a total of about 60 days; as a total footy geek I insisted on dragging my wife on a footy tour; Moorabbin, TBBO, Waverley, Docklands and MCG and we stopped into Casey too, then Claremont, Subi and East Freemantle in WA. The sum of footy I've seen in person is to have played one low-level game in WA, visited 5 clubs including 2 as a coaching observer, watched two VFL clubs train, an AFL semi final at MCG and a WAFL final.

A man on an island. Your love for AFL, saints in particular, whilst hardly ever setting foot here is awesome! I mean it is the greatest game of all time, but still!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back