Toast Welcome to Carlton Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

This stuff is coachable though - a coach just says NO CHEST MARKING LIAM...

frustrating thing about Liam Jones is that he has the body size and jump to be a great marking forward - with lake and Gibson - you know they are going to climb all over you and fist it...so you make sure you give yourself that extra 30 cms to make sure they have to give you a free or you take the mark...Liam continually braces for impact first it is just poor technique and I reckon can be fixed.

481748558-brian-lake-of-the-hawks-punches-the-ball-gettyimages.jpg

Chest marking at its finest ...Jones and Henderson this losing caper every time...instead of jump with bum backwards and arms outstretched...Waite was a great exponent of how to do it right...
This is a still. It doesn't appear that Jones is on a lead. Looks like his body weight is going backwards in a marking contest. I agree with your comment concerning correct technique when taking a mark on the lead. I don't think this captures a player marking on the lead.

This is a still. It doesn't appear that Jones is on a lead. Looks like his body weight is going backwards in a marking contest. I agree with your comment concerning correct technique when taking a mark on the lead. I don't think this captures a player marking on the lead.
You could be right - still if you are taking a kick you know a defender will try and come over the top so - you prop backwards and take the ball on a leap at the right time- to block the defender whilst keeping eyes on ball - the better markers make everything more like a leading take than not..this is so basic even a rugby player knows it-:) after marks and marking contests used to be part of rugby.:thumbsu:

Mick gave it a good go. I watched him trying to teach Liam.

There's been worse players than Liam who have come from seemingly nowhere to become influential players.
The guy has some real strong points but again, his downfall may come about via what's above the shoulders.

New coach.....new methods. Who knows?

Surely he can punch, let the boy punch!!!!

Reading the first dozen pages is comedy gold !!

I reckon there would be a lot of people who wish they didn't get so excited about this guy.

To Jones' credit, he did train his butt off in the pre-season period prior to the official training stuff to improve his overall tank so you can't knock him for that.

The big issue onfield is that he is constantly struggling to have a consistent influence on a match plus he does not take enough overhead marks for a guy of his size. At times he looks a little lost, he just doesn't seem to read the play well enough.

He's now destined to be the permanent full-forward in the seconds over the next two years because it is hard to mount a case for him to constantly earn a senior spot.

Just going to have to mark this one down as a bad trade (throw in the Tutt one as well), something that we seem to do too often really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chest marking at its finest ...Jones and Henderson this losing caper every time...instead of jump with bum backwards and arms outstretched...Waite was a great exponent of how to do it right...
It's annoying he's doing that so much.

I seem to remember a game vs the Bullies years ago where he actually cut us up, he was taking overhead marks at full tilt even up against our ruckmen and making them look like amateurs.

He clearly has the physical tools but it all rarely comes together for whatever reason.

How about we just tell it as it is. He's a woeful footballer who should have his contract paid out at the end of the year to spare any embarrassment to himself or the club for playing him.
been reading the local papers too much..........surprised you're letting him live..........

I feel like you can seek Boeky's shoulders dropping as he sees who is in the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back