Toast Welcome to Carlton Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

See...there were players that weren't great. Therefore Jones might still get a decent chance this year if he keeps playing well...
Today wasn't a good gauge. I've seen intra clubs played with higher intensity.

I dont want to sound like I'm Liam Jones' dad (by constantly defending him) however .. those already writing him off as a defender should understand that he only was tried there for half a game (vs Adelaide, 2014).

It was pretty horrific though.

However, its pretty interesting to think back to Shane Rogers trade week wrap up interview where when discussing Liam stated that:

"I've been watching him since a 17 year old, when he was CHB for the AIS".

So he must have some idea of how to play down back.

I dont want to sound like I'm Liam Jones' dad (by constantly defending him) however .. those already writing him off as a defender should understand that he only was tried there for half a game (vs Adelaide, 2014).

It was pretty horrific though.

However, its pretty interesting to think back to Shane Rogers trade week wrap up interview where when discussing Liam stated that:

"I've been watching him since a 17 year old, when he was CHB for the AIS".

So he must have some idea of how to play down back.
Liam is going to have to string together a few more good performances before he is given another opportunity in the seniors.
I somehow feel that he is better suited to being a VFL player and just can't cut it at AFL level.
The way the team is playing now compared to when he was playing in the seniors would mean more forward entries giving him more opportunities and the ball is being moved a lot quicker, meaning he wouldn't have the ball put on top of his head where a defender can easily punch it away, he would be able to use his pace and lead out.
I wouldn't contemplate using him in defense as we have seen he doesn't have the best of work rates.

Jones will not make for a back-man.
Just doesn't have the turning circle nor the repeat efforts necessary. Not great hands nor particularly quick of mind either.

Jones is a lead up forward and with half decent ball delivery, he'll score you goals.
Hopefully he can keep working hard in the NB's to improve. Worried about poor workload and inability to kick accurately under pressure and at set shots. I really hope he can improve in these areas to enhance our depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He deserves another chance down the line ... now that the team is playing better and so his delivery will be better ... Messes it up though ... stays in the Magoos until we can delist or trade.

From what I have seen so far I think he lacks the enthusiasm to be an AFL player. I also believe that is not something that can be instilled.

Similar to someone like Lukas ... has the talent to be an AFL footballer just not the desire to put the hard yards in to reach his potential. Just an opinion and I hope he proves me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back