Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor bugger would be a long way behind every other player on our list in terms of fitness.
The average cricketer can't run out of sight. Just not a fitness requirement for that sport.

A hard slog ahead for young Wil.

he looks a fair way off it tbh, so it's going to be a long game with him. he obviously has some ability based in his GF performance.

he looks a fair way off it tbh, so it's going to be a long game with him. he obviously has some ability based in his GF performance.
I thought he did pretty well for his first day after 4 years out.
Skills have not been lost on him.
Did better than I thought he would.

Poor bugger would be a long way behind every other player on our list in terms of fitness.
The average cricketer can't run out of sight. Just not a fitness requirement for that sport.

If he's got the drive, he'll make the cut and sweep all before him.

They’re not AFL fit, but the modern cricketer is absolutely required to have good aerobic capacity. I don’t doubt he is behind but he’s not coming from nothing.

Do Cat B’s still get up to 3 years? If so, he has time on his side. I’d assume he’ll do a preseason before we see him at even VFL level but expectations low for this year.

Do Cat B’s still get up to 3 years? If so, he has time on his side. I’d assume he’ll do a preseason before we see him at even VFL level but expectations low for this year.
I reckon 3 years. I reckon Wilson got 3.
And we had dogs for competition, so you'd think we would offer the maximum available.

I just don't understand why you'd pick anyone 3 years out unless there was an incentive.

Finished footy at the end of the 2021 season, signed in April 2023, eligible as a Cat B at the end of this season afaik so not quite 3 years. Doesn’t have to be any more than he wanted some certainty before heading of to the US but you’ll need to talk to either Condon or Hines to know for sure

Under 17s is not exactly the same.

I’m just chucking the idea out there. Not exactly drawing up the specifics of what a tighter rule might look like but the afl may well look at the Parker situation and ponder why he shouldn’t re-enter the sport via the draft
Because the more difficult/less desirable they make it for these types of prospects to enter the system, the less likely they are to lure them back to the sport.
I honestly don’t understand why anyone would/could have a problem with a guy who hasn’t played the sport at any level in 3 years being given a cat B chance. That lost development time puts them at a huge disadvantage and makes it unlikely that clubs would want to use a traditional list spot on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#19 Wil Parker

The young defender Parker was cool, calm and collected with his ball use a real feature coming out of defence. Often tasked with the kickouts, his ability to sum up his options and hit a target was superb. Not just a designated kicker and runner, he also showed he could take an intercept mark with a well read mark in the first quarter. Parker’s composure was sensational, often picking the right option instead of blazing away and his ball use from defence was a big reason for Eastern winning the game. The talented Parker finished the game with 23 disposals, six marks and eight rebounds.

2019 Grand Final

#19 Wil Parker

Parker has had a fantastic finals series and he has certainly enhanced his draft stocks for the 2020 draft, again showing great composure and skill in defence. Parker had a couple of hiccups which have been rare but considering the amount of inside 50s from Oakleigh there was a lot of pressure and certainly more than usual, but Parker stuck the course and finished the game strongly. Parker didn’t just show his good ball use but also his courage to sit in the hole and take some courageous marks. Parker finished the game with 27 disposals, five marks and 11 rebound 50s and couldn’t have done any more to help his team.

Some of those boys are quite good at juniors, by virtue of 12 years in elite programs, but not much chop in seniors.
On the other side of the spectum. some of those chargers boys..

Anderson
Rowell
Phillips
JUH

Fin was also in that premiership side

In the prelim:

Serong
Flanders
Comben
-- funny enough Ryan Sparks, who is now on our VFL list.
And Chargers had Schrieber who has been on our vfl list for a couple years

Honestly surprised at this. I’d have thought he’d regard the dogs as a better chance of him getting a game given we’ve now got all of IQ, Markov, Noble, Ryan and Harry competing for spots as running defenders.

Good get though, kid can definitely play, or he could in his draft year.
Parker is probably a realist. He probably thinks he’s 2 years away from AFL standard. A lot of our older players will be on the way out by then.

On the other side of the spectum. some of those chargers boys..

Anderson
Rowell
Phillips
JUH

Fin was also in that premiership side

In the prelim:

Serong
Flanders
Comben
-- funny enough Ryan Sparks, who is now on our VFL list.
And Chargers had Schrieber who has been on our vfl list for a couple years
Lol, agree. I was looking at those names & thinking how much talent was there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back