Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

For a skinny first year player he actually has a presence and hits the pack hard.
Likes the physical stuff, was tackling and chasing.
Seems reasonably nimble for a tall forward although not quick.
Low production at the moment.
Took two good contested marks.
Raw but all signs point to a good forward when he bulks up and builds his tank.
I don’t even think he looks that skinny anymore

To think where he was 12 months ago (barely being picked for Sandy u/18s) to kicking 8 goals in the last 3 VFL games (1 being a practice game) is the most impressive part.

Looks to have the physical traits to make it at the top level. Let’s not throw him into the deep end yet however it looks like he could be the steal of the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the pre season match he was absolutely gassed. Said himself he underestimated the fitness required for the level. These are great VFL numbers and I'm really excited about his future prospects, but ready for AFL he ain't. Give him time to grow his tank and skillset before throwing him to the wolves.

Calsher is a genuinely smooth moving forward with a big frame, leap and great hands. His kicking also looks good.

Young players with this draft profile are usually taken very early on.

Realize he came home with a wet sail last year, but geez... it's tough not to get excited given that his best at VFL looks just like his best last year.

It's tough not to dream at this early stage. He's on the right side of the Newcombe Curve, and looks like he could wind up tracking a Nathan Ablett type path from relative obscurity to the big time

Last edited:
I have liked Dear from the very first time I viewed his highlights.
It took me 2-3 viewings of McCabe's, but I really liked Dear from the start.

It looks to me like we may have a Roughead level of talent emerging.
Incredible if this turns out for us.

I've felt the same way, and agree 100%. There was even enough in his first box hill game to suggest he has everything he needs to succeed. This week adds further weight to that notion. Plays in front too and can hold his position against the big bodies, was unlucky early in the first not to get hit up in the pocket, then was running unmarked into goal in the 4th but his teammates disposal was smothered.

Last edited:
After the pre season match he was absolutely gassed. Said himself he underestimated the fitness required for the level. These are great VFL numbers and I'm really excited about his future prospects, but ready for AFL he ain't. Give him time to grow his tank and skillset before throwing him to the wolves.

Yes. But at the same time, give him a go this year to give hill an idea of what he needs to get himself ready for.

Calsher is a genuinely smooth moving forward with a big frame, leap and great hands. His kicking also looks good.

Young players with this draft profile are usually taken very early on.

Realize he came home with a wet sail last year, but geez... it's tough not to get excited given that his best at VFL looks just like his best last year.

It's tough not to dream at this early stage. He's on the right side of the Newcombe Curve, and looks like he could wind up tracking a Nathan Ablett type path from relative obscurity to the big time

By best, you mean his second game!

Very exciting!!

He is raw and has natural ability .
Love his attack at the ball . Its a real natural trait he seems to have.
Lets not rush him .

About as raw as an uncooked egg no doubt.

Trying to contain my excitement at a promising father son tall forward, but that's the real beauty here as much as anything else. Still made a dent in the game, despite having no right to.

Last edited:

Obscurity to big time to priesthood!

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back