Welcome to Hawthorn: Luke Surman - rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Luke.

Luke Surman (7/12/1997. 196cm, 97kg. Norwood)

Tall defender

AFL biography: Strong marking tall defender who can go forward or assist in the ruck. Highly competitive player who holds his position well in the contest. Poised with ball in the hands and has good vision. Held down key defensive position with South Australia in AFL Under-18s this year.

"He's come out of a junior basketball program. He's played a lot of representative basketball and has really only taken footy seriously this year. Speaking to his parents, I think he and they thought he was going to have a bit of a sports-free year and just play a bit of school footy, but he's jumped up quickly, we were crying out for key defenders in our side and he fitted that bill nicely. I think he has a huge amount of upside, he doesn't play with any intensity at the moment but once he learns how to do that and starts to do it he's going to be a big, imposing figure."

Brenton Phillips, SA talent manager

The marking and the way he moves reminds me of McEvoy.

How did he test? He doesn't look the quickest, but plenty big enough to hold his own in the VFL while we develop him.

Gee I like the look of this guy...massive unit and seems to read the ball really well with a seriously good set of hands

Yes!

Damn happy with this. I know most are saying key defender, but being able to mark like that (and being slow) smacks of a goal square full forward to me. Porkins style.

Interesting pick, seems to read the ball really well in the air and a good marker of the pill. Kicking is not great but I suspect the club would already have plans in place to work on this given he's still relatively new to the Aussie rules scene. If they can inject some mongrel and urgency into him and tidy up his kicking then this pick has the potential to pay off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The marking and the way he moves reminds me of McEvoy.

How did he test? He doesn't look the quickest, but plenty big enough to hold his own in the VFL while we develop him.

Interestingly he ran a 3.01 20M sprint and the combine compared to 3.10 for Collins.

Much prefer that we have picked this guy here with big upside as opposed to Collins with an early pick.

Welcome Luke.
Let's just call him "The Unit". At 17 I'm guessing he's still got some more growing as well to come.
Reminds me of Mumford,and is a great mark. Yes he has slow hands and his kick isn't penetrating yet.
Love the mark he takes going back with the flight, and the opposition guy gets flattened at the same time.
Terrific promise to come I believe, well spotted Wrighty & the team.

Welcome Luke.
Let's just call him "The Unit". At 17 I'm guessing he's still got some more growing as well to come.
Reminds me of Mumford,and is a great mark. Yes he has slow hands and his kick isn't penetrating yet.
Love the mark he takes going back with the flight, and the opposition guy gets flattened at the same time.
Terrific promise to come I believe, well spotted Wrighty & the team.
If he grows much more he might become a ruck man. Hands are great. I think we can forgive some of his ground level play. He is a late comer to the sport so that sort of thing can be ironed out by experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back