Welcome to Hawthorn: Luke Surman - rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Leuenberger ran a 3.02 second time. He is plenty slow. Shaun Hampson is much quicker and he ran it in 3 seconds flat. That difference appears way to small to account for their speed difference.

Olympic 100m sprinters have a reaction time to the starters gun (the time between the gun going off and the time the body first responds) of 0.12 - 0.16 sec which equates to 4-5.5% of the total time of someone running 20m in 3 seconds. These guys aren't Olympic sprinters so will likely be slower to react let alone get going. Usain bolt takes 60m to reach top speed so with that in mind this test is really about acceleration and reaction time more than speed. Don't get me wrong I'd rather 3.01 than 3.1 but lets not read too much into a single metric.

Its not started like a race, the test starts when he starts, there is no reaction component. There is a seperate reaction test. I have done the 20m sprint test that these players would do.

I think I've told the story before of a big, fat guy I played with who jokingly claimed he was the fastest guy over 2 steps (especially if pie or beer are involved). Bursts off the line and then he's completely done.

Great if you're quick over 20m but means little if you don't have the agility, endurance and longer distance running ability to back it up.

Great hands and seems like a 'intercept' mark than a one on one. But today's game is all about rebound off intercept so, with a bit of development he could be anything. Like.

He is a failed basketballer.

Only took up footy seriously in 2015. Could develop into anything, good body for it.

State coach and all recruiters knock his intensity. He can develop
Or could be a grimley mk2...

He is a failed basketballer.

Only took up footy seriously in 2015. Could develop into anything, good body for it.

State coach and all recruiters knock his intensity. He can develop

What's your source? I heard (just via newspaper articles) that he was rotating through sports when to his surprise he was pretty good at footy. I didn't get the sense that he had necessarily failed at basketball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not too excited over this choice, he just seems like a man child with no real development in him. The club have also indicated that they will play him in the forward line, which I suppose means he doesn't have the pace to play in defence.
Still bitter over Grimley?

I like this selection. I hate seeing big guys try and play like small guys, this kid seems all tall. The basketball background means he wont have done much work on his tank or below his knees. Nice blank canvas for us to do some development magic.

Leuenberger ran a 3.02 second time. He is plenty slow. Shaun Hampson is much quicker and he ran it in 3 seconds flat. That difference appears way to small to account for their speed difference.

Olympic 100m sprinters have a reaction time to the starters gun (the time between the gun going off and the time the body first responds) of 0.12 - 0.16 sec which equates to 4-5.5% of the total time of someone running 20m in 3 seconds. These guys aren't Olympic sprinters so will likely be slower to react let alone get going. Usain bolt takes 60m to reach top speed so with that in mind this test is really about acceleration and reaction time more than speed. Don't get me wrong I'd rather 3.01 than 3.1 but lets not read too much into a single metric.
There is NO reaction time. They run through a laser which starts the clock. So reaction time is taken out of the equation. Purely speed over 20 m.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back