Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

People seem to forget he was only passable in his first few games and in fact got dropped - twice, I think. Been good since about his fifth game so he has played maybe two outstanding games and a handful of good ones. I'm guessing about 2-3 Brownlow votes at best so far.

I don't see him as a cert for the RS. Aish has probably put in more good games over the year and perhaps Dunstan and KK have too. The way I see it he will be a justifiable RS favourite only if he maintains his recent form for the last six rounds.

tMaoCCB.png

So who are the ones that said he wasn't being managed properly....

That one-handed grab has caused yet another floor to be built in the temple.
Here's a before photo, noting the temple has expanded now:

upload_2014-7-15_9-49-27.jpeg

In his first 10 games the young fellow has managed a rising star nomination, a goal of the year nomination, and a mark of the year nomination and has basically won two games off his own boot.

What's to come in his next 340 AFL games, I wonder?

In his first 10 games the young fellow has managed a rising star nomination, a goal of the year nomination, and a mark of the year nomination and has basically won two games off his own boot.

What's to come in his next 340 AFL games, I wonder?

And played a pretty good game in the Port loss and was doing his best to get us over the line in the bog down at Geelong 2 weeks ago. The boy is an absolute freak. :p

After casually watching Bont's goal against the Demons for approx. the 37th time, I have almost every player's reactions to that contest etched in my mind. Watch Watts in that contest. A half-arsed attempt to mark Bob's kick, pranced around the contest like an extra in a grease musical when the ball hit the ground and offered defensive pressure that Boomer Harvey would be ashamed of. Watts is a 5 (or 6?) year experienced AFL player and the contrast between his effort and the pup who has played 10 games was extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone sign this kid up to the dogs on a 14 year deal.

Much man-love from this one.

I will be honest

I first tone I saw him play I though oh god have we got another dud!!

I think my first impression may have been slightly wrong

All hail the 2014 Rising Star.

Bonti is now a monty to win it.

Lions fans will disagree with this one. They think one of their boys has it in the bag already and would be unfair if he didn't win it :p

I couldn't care if he wins it or not (though it will be nice) I think we have the best player from last years draft hands down

Bontempelli seems to be able to play anywhere. Whilst he didn't set the game on fire, he did have an influence whenever the ball was near him. If he wasn't able to get it himself, he would create a contest or tap it down to his team mate who would do something with it.

He was taking marks in front of goal, on the forward 50, right on the wing, deep in defence. All over the place actually, great to see we finally have a midfielder who can takes marks consistently. For a young player he seems to know what to do, and the right places to be. Such a great feeling to watch

Lions fans will disagree with this one. They think one of their boys has it in the bag already and would be unfair if he didn't win it :p

I couldn't care if he wins it or not (though it will be nice) I think we have the best player from last years draft hands down
Everything's been unfair since the AFL turned their life support off and started showering the Happy Meals down the coast with love ;)

Lewis Taylor and James Aish would both be deserving winners, I just think Bontempelli is more likely given he's played at an exceptional level for a number of weeks and has a tendency towards the freakish. I hope if he does win it that they don't play the Victorian bias card.

Marcus does not need to win an award, everyone can see that he is a chosen one. I did not see EJ at his age, he was in his mid 20's when i started going but I can still remember some of the things he did on the field. Bonti is so special, he could play CHF or CHB like Mr Football did. He has me dreaming of a reincarnation? Cut out my tongue but if he goes on from here, this kid could be anything and we will be going each week to join in the adulation.:)

Everything's been unfair since the AFL turned their life support off and started showering the Happy Meals down the coast with love ;)

Lewis Taylor and James Aish would both be deserving winners, I just think Bontempelli is more likely given he's played at an exceptional level for a number of weeks and has a tendency towards the freakish. I hope if he does win it that they don't play the Victorian bias card.
He sewed up the RS today for sure. Daylight to the next candidate.
Logically, yes. But the RS award is subjective and I don't think the people who vote on it even have to justify themselves (ask KB).

So any result is possible, especially if they are pushing for a particular outcome. Also Aish has played at a high standard in more games this year. Bonty has only played 11 and not all of those were standouts.

The main thing working in his favour is that the bookies usually get this award right and they've made him a clear favourite ... and firming every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back