Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys i have got to comment on something regarding Bontempelli and the rising star.

It has come to my attention that choosing Bontempelli for the rising star award has become 'uncool' and people feel that they need to vote differently due to the media hype surrounding our boy.

I really am not fussed if he doesnt win, the only real positive to come out of that is some media coverage for the club.

One of the main benefits for him to come out of not winning would be to be able to play the rest of his career without the pressure of having the rising star award to live up to... and instead have to prove everyone why they should have voted for him instead!

Guys i have got to comment on something regarding Bontempelli and the rising star.

It has come to my attention that choosing Bontempelli for the rising star award has become 'uncool' and people feel that they need to vote differently due to the media hype surrounding our boy.

I really am not fussed if he doesnt win, the only real positive to come out of that is some media coverage for the club.

One of the main benefits for him to come out of not winning would be to be able to play the rest of his career without the pressure of having the rising star award to live up to... and instead have to prove everyone why they should have voted for him instead!
Ah yes this is called the Ryan Griffen effect.

With the Rising Star Winner to be announced in a few hours, and a lot of bickering between fans biased towards their own players, about who should win the award and such. I've decided to put together a list of 10 statistics featuring the eight likely finalists/favorites for the award, so we can all compare each and every contestant across each category.

Disposals Per Game
  1. Aish - 17.6
  2. Kelly - 17.3
  3. McDonald - 17.2
  4. Kolodjashnij - 17.1
  5. Taylor - 16.9
  6. Langdon - 16.6
  7. Bontempelli - 15.9
  8. Merret - 15.0

Contested Possessions Per Game
  1. Bontempelli - 7.5
  2. Aish - 6.24
  3. Langdon - 5.37
  4. McDonald - 5.25
  5. Merret - 5.16
  6. Taylor - 4.95
  7. Kelly - 4.94
  8. Kolodjashnij - 4.33

Inside 50's Per Game
  1. Bontempelli - 4.19
  2. Merret - 2.79
  3. Taylor - 2.32
  4. Aish - 2.28
  5. Kelly - 2.22
  6. McDonald - 2.0
  7. Langdon - 1.79
  8. Kolodjashnij - 1.67

Tackles Per Game
  1. Merret - 3.89
  2. Aish - 3.67
  3. Bontempelli - 3.44
  4. Kelly - 3.22
  5. McDonald - 2.70
  6. Langdon - 2.47
  7. Taylor - 2.00
  8. Kolodjashnij - 1.89

Marks Per Game
  1. Langdon - 5.6
  2. Kolodjashnij - 4.9
  3. Aish - 4.5
  4. Taylor - 4.0
  5. McDonald - 3.7
  6. Merret - 3.3
  7. Kelly - 3.1
  8. Bontempelli - 2.9

Contested Marks Per Game

1. Bontempelli - 0.8
2. Langdon - 0.6
3. Aish - 0.3
3. McDonald - 0.3
4. Kelly - 0.2
4. Merret - 0.2
4. Kolodjashnij - 0.2
5. Taylor - 0.1

Goals Per Game

1. Bontempelli - 0.9
2. Kelly - 0.7
3. Merret - 0.6
3. Taylor - 0.6
4. Aish - 0.3
4. Kolodjashnij - 0.3
5. Langdon - 0
5. McDonald - 0

Goal Assists Per Game

1. Kelly - 0.5
1. Merret - 0.5
2. Bontempelli - 0.3
2. Aish - 0.3
2. Taylor - 0.3
2. McDonald - 0.3
3. Langdon - 0
3. Kolodjashnij

Clearances Per Game
  1. Bontempelli - 2.2
  2. Aish - 2.0
  3. Kelly - 1.3
  4. McDonald - 1.0
  5. Taylor - 0.9
  6. Kolodjashnij - 0.8
  7. Merret - 0.5
  8. Langon - 0.4

Disposal Efficiency
  1. Langdon - 76.5%
  2. McDonald - 75.7%
  3. Kolodjashnij - 74.7%
  4. Merret - 72.7%
  5. Aish - 71.6%
  6. Taylor - 69.8%
  7. Kelly - 69.2%
  8. Bontempelli - 67.3%

So there you have it, stats don't lie, and I was rather surprised by some of them as well, which shows how one way some players are, and how much fans of their own team pump up certain aspects even more. For a little extra I decided to make a points tally, but using each players position in each category, with first place equaling eight points, second place seven points etc

Points Ranking
  1. Aish - 62 points
  2. Bontempelli - 57 points
  3. McDonald - 52 points
  4. Merret - 49 points
  5. Kelly - 48 points
  6. Taylor - 44 points
  7. Langdon - 38 points
  8. Kolodjashnij - 34 points

Some further notes....
  • Bontempelli was the best ranked of the eight in 5 of the 10 categories, and top 3 in 7 of them
  • Not surprisingly, the best ball users and markers were defenders, which backs up the theory that defenders get it easier due to less pressure and chipping it around. Those in the middle and who play more forward had the lowest efficiency
  • Aish was the most consistent across all 10 of the categories, though he got the points win due to the gap in disposals per game and marks between himself and Bontempelli, which in statistical terms acts as an "outlier", and some placings in some categories were decided by the slightest margin possible
  • Taylor is one of the favorites and talked up highly by fans of his own team. Though claims by many that he is the leading possession getter of all the contestants doesn't ruing true, as he sits fifth on the list. Also as much as he loves to gets some ball and create some run, he hates being involved the hard stuff, finishing low in clearances, tackles and contested possesions, as well as contested marks. In fact he even finished outside the top 30 amongst ALL rookies in a couple of categories from what I can remember. I think people are overhyping him based on total disposals and amount of games played, two of the most flawed statistics to go by. Looking deeper into the stats, including the important ones are not to flattering. Not inside the top 3-4 in my opinion
  • Langdon finished in the bottom three in 6 of the 10 categories
  • Merret played up to 10 minutes, and even 15 minutes less minutes of game time per game than most of the other nominees, yet featured highly in a lot of categories. If he averaged in the 80's, he could easily be the leader and favorite
  • Langdon is the most efficient with the ball, despite finishing low in many things. He also seems to dislike scoring, scoring no goals or setting up any himself

So there you have it, a full in depth run down of this years hottest rising star nominees. Remember people, statistics don't lie. We can all bitch and moan about this and that, but the reality is the reality.

As for my tip for the Rising Star and why....

Marcus Bontempelli, he may not have won the ball as much as some of the others. But it is not about how many disposals you get, but how you get them and what you do with them. The statistics place him in the lead or up high in goals per game, goal assists per game, clearances, tackles and inside 50's. As well as a big gap with contested possessions per game. Doing all those, whilst being the youngest player of all of the nominees, and also playing the second least minutes per game. Could you imagine if he played more than 80 minutes per game? His statistics would be in line to blow everyone else away. Not only that, but his impact in each game. He has been in the best players a few times, and single handedly won the Bulldogs both the Collingwood and Melbourne games. How often do any rookies come along who can do that? His poise, game sense and maturity is well ahead of his years. That is why he is my tip and most deserving choice of winning the Rising Star Award.

Aish would also be just as deserving a winner if he won the award as well. It will come down to these two players in my opinion.

Last edited:
Great post.

Bont has got a reputation for being a human highlight reel, but it's his output that's more impressive. His 20 touches and 2 goals on the weekend relaticely nothing to write home about (compared to his highlights) , yet it's the ideal first year performance.

Great write-up _M_16_ and very objectively put, which is far more than we will get from the media and probably even from the people who vote on the RS if past experience is anything to go by.

I am a great believer in stats but also in looking at the limitations of the stats as you have done. They are a tool to assist decision making and to highlight trends or patterns but not to be the sole arbiter in assessing teams or footballers (or anything else for that matter). Otherwise we are all just following fantasy football.

It is telling that the strongest argument you make for Bontempelli being the Rising Star winner is non-statistical:
Not only that, but his impact in each game. He has been in the best players a few times, and single handedly won the Bulldogs both the Collingwood and Melbourne games. How often do any rookies come along who can do that? His poise, game sense and maturity is well ahead of his years. That is why he is my tip and most deserving choice of winning the Rising Star Award.

With the Rising Star Winner to be announced in a few hours, and a lot of bickering between fans biased towards their own players, about who should win the award and such. I've decided to put together a list of 10 statistics featuring the eight likely finalists/favorites for the award, so we can all compare each and every contestant across each category.

Disposals Per Game
  1. Aish - 17.6
  2. Kelly - 17.3
  3. McDonald - 17.2
  4. Kolodjashnij - 17.1
  5. Taylor - 16.9
  6. Langdon - 16.6
  7. Bontempelli - 15.9
  8. Merret - 15.0

Contested Possessions Per Game
  1. Bontempelli - 7.5
  2. Aish - 6.24
  3. Langdon - 5.37
  4. McDonald - 5.25
  5. Merret - 5.16
  6. Taylor - 4.95
  7. Kelly - 4.94
  8. Kolodjashnij - 4.33

Inside 50's Per Game
  1. Bontempelli - 4.19
  2. Merret - 2.79
  3. Taylor - 2.32
  4. Aish - 2.28
  5. Kelly - 2.22
  6. McDonald - 2.0
  7. Langdon - 1.79
  8. Kolodjashnij - 1.67

Tackles Per Game
  1. Merret - 3.89
  2. Aish - 3.67
  3. Bontempelli - 3.44
  4. Kelly - 3.22
  5. McDonald - 2.70
  6. Langdon - 2.47
  7. Taylor - 2.00
  8. Kolodjashnij - 1.89

Marks Per Game
  1. Langdon - 5.6
  2. Kolodjashnij - 4.9
  3. Aish - 4.5
  4. Taylor - 4.0
  5. McDonald - 3.7
  6. Merret - 3.3
  7. Kelly - 3.1
  8. Bontempelli - 2.9

Contested Marks Per Game

1. Bontempelli - 0.8
2. Langdon - 0.6
3. Aish - 0.3
3. McDonald - 0.3
4. Kelly - 0.2
4. Merret - 0.2
4. Kolodjashnij - 0.2
5. Taylor - 0.1

Goals Per Game

1. Bontempelli - 0.9
2. Kelly - 0.7
3. Merret - 0.6
3. Taylor - 0.6
4. Aish - 0.3
4. Kolodjashnij - 0.3
5. Langdon - 0
5. McDonald - 0

Goal Assists Per Game

1. Kelly - 0.5
1. Merret - 0.5
2. Bontempelli - 0.3
2. Aish - 0.3
2. Taylor - 0.3
2. McDonald - 0.3
3. Langdon - 0
3. Kolodjashnij

Clearances Per Game
  1. Bontempelli - 2.2
  2. Aish - 2.0
  3. Kelly - 1.3
  4. McDonald - 1.0
  5. Taylor - 0.9
  6. Kolodjashnij - 0.8
  7. Merret - 0.5
  8. Langon - 0.4

Disposal Efficiency
  1. Langdon - 76.5%
  2. McDonald - 75.7%
  3. Kolodjashnij - 74.7%
  4. Merret - 72.7%
  5. Aish - 71.6%
  6. Taylor - 69.8%
  7. Kelly - 69.2%
  8. Bontempelli - 67.3%

So there you have it, stats don't lie, and I was rather surprised by some of them as well, which shows how one way some players are, and how much fans of their own team pump up certain aspects even more. For a little extra I decided to make a points tally, but using each players position in each category, with first place equaling eight points, second place seven points etc

Points Ranking
  1. Aish - 62 points
  2. Bontempelli - 57 points
  3. McDonald - 52 points
  4. Merret - 49 points
  5. Kelly - 48 points
  6. Taylor - 44 points
  7. Langdon - 38 points
  8. Kolodjashnij - 34 points

Some further notes....
  • Bontempelli was the best ranked of the eight in 5 of the 10 categories, and top 3 in 7 of them
  • Not surprisingly, the best ball users and markers were defenders, which backs up the theory that defenders get it easier due to less pressure and chipping it around. Those in the middle and who play more forward had the lowest efficiency
  • Aish was the most consistent across all 10 of the categories, though he got the points win due to the gap in disposals per game and marks between himself and Bontempelli, which in statistical terms acts as an "outlier", and some placings in some categories were decided by the slightest margin possible
  • Taylor is one of the favorites and talked up highly by fans of his own team. Though claims by many that he is the leading possession getter of all the contestants doesn't ruing true, as he sits fifth on the list. Also as much as he loves to gets some ball and create some run, he hates being involved the hard stuff, finishing low in clearances, tackles and contested possesions, as well as contested marks. In fact he even finished outside the top 30 amongst ALL rookies in a couple of categories from what I can remember. I think people are overhyping him based on total disposals and amount of games played, two of the most flawed statistics to go by. Looking deeper into the stats, including the important ones are not to flattering. Not inside the top 3-4 in my opinion
  • Langdon finished in the bottom three in 6 of the 10 categories
  • Merret played up to 10 minutes, and even 15 minutes less minutes of game time per game than most of the other nominees, yet featured highly in a lot of categories. If he averaged in the 80's, he could easily be the leader and favorite
  • Langdon is the most efficient with the ball, despite finishing low in many things. He also seems to dislike scoring, scoring no goals or setting up any himself

So there you have it, a full in depth run down of this years hottest rising star nominees. Remember people, statistics don't lie. We can all bitch and moan about this and that, but the reality is the reality.

As for my tip for the Rising Star and why....

Marcus Bontempelli, he may not have won the ball as much as some of the others. But it is not about how many disposals you get, but how you get them and what you do with them. The statistics place him in the lead or up high in goals per game, goal assists per game, clearances, tackles and inside 50's. As well as a big gap with contested possessions per game. Doing all those, whilst being the youngest player of all of the nominees, and also playing the second least minutes per game. Could you imagine if he played more than 80 minutes per game? His statistics would be in line to blow everyone else away. Not only that, but his impact in each game. He has been in the best players a few times, and single handedly won the Bulldogs both the Collingwood and Melbourne games. How often do any rookies come along who can do that? His poise, game sense and maturity is well ahead of his years. That is why he is my tip and most deserving choice of winning the Rising Star Award.

Aish would also be just as deserving a winner if he won the award as well. It will come down to these two players in my opinion.

Quality run through, massive appreciation for the effort M_16
74331_39b229f66330b95376180658b8652922.jpg

EQ just tweeted this, it's her article from last year before the draft on Bonts, in hindsight its kind of heartbreaking to know the great things he's achived this year and his mate and cousin (Liam Hunt) never got the chance (at least not yet). I guess it kind of explains why he's grabbed his opportunity in such a way though.

Its a great read.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...opeful-marcus-bontempelli-20131119-2xtc4.html

I don't know if there's been any late movement in the betting but as of Sunday Bontempelli was $1.50, Lewis Taylor $3.25 and Josh Kelly was $17. Aish was $21 and Stringer and others were $31.

Bookies seldom get it horribly wrong so you'd think it would be between Bontempelli and Taylor (despite the AFL website drumming up support for Aish).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seriously, i am biased i admit, but if Bonts doesnt win it, its absolutly rigged , and i will be writing a letter to the AFL !

good darcy even though your a flog you did the right thing giving bont the votes

Does anyone know who the judges are and what is the criteria. Seems to me that it's subjective.
It's entirely subjective. That's why not too many people hold it in great esteem.

It's just one of those things that's nice to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back