Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcus has been rejuvenated since he lost the headband and long locks.

Discuss.

But -was anyone else watching him yesterday when he took a mark at centre half back yesterday?

While he was working out where to kick he tucked the ball under his arm and used his free hand to push his hair away from his eyes not once but three times! Looked like his hair was really annoying him.

I don't mean to sound like my dad but GET A HAIRCUT!

He's my favourite player this past season. I truly think he's the next big thing. He's quick, agile and does it with ease. He's the full package. I haven't felt like this about a doggie player in awhile not since Brad Johnson.

Also a little story: I went to the doggies vs cats game last season at Geelong. I was waiting in line to buy a ticket when the bont's dad walked up to me and asked if I needed a ticket since he had a spare and didn't need it. Couldn't count many times I would have thanked him haha. The whole family is class.

He's my favourite player this past season. I truly think he's the next big thing. He's quick, agile and does it with ease. He's the full package. I haven't felt like this about a doggie player in awhile not since Brad Johnson.

I believe that nickname is already taken ;)

WB players with over 350 AFL ratings points, as of today:

Easton Wood 450.9
Marcus Bontempelli 449.8 (58th ranked in the AFL)
Matthew Boyd 439.8
Robert Murphy 437.7
Luke Dahlhaus 416.7
Tom Liberatore 397.5
Will Minson 384.3
Jack Macrae 379.9
Jake Stringer 373.3
Liam Picken 355.6

Wood is going well but Bont should be on top next week. He has already shot past glamour recruits Macrae and Stringer.

A side issue (if you'll allow me to discuss this in the temple) is that although we are 4th on the ladder we have no player in the AFL's top 50 rankings. Other sides in the eight have got an average of about 4 in the top 50, ranging from 2 (Geelong) to 6 (Sydney, Hawthorn).

This is partly because the rating system measures individuals - it doesn't measure team performances. Also it doesn't instantly reflect momentum shifts in player performance. There's a deliberate averaging out over a two year period (albeit weighted toward more recent performance).

A side issue (if you'll allow me to discuss this in the temple) is that although we are 4th on the ladder we have no player in the AFL's top 50 rankings. Other sides in the eight have got an average of about 4 in the top 50, ranging from 2 (Geelong) to 6 (Sydney, Hawthorn).

This is partly because the rating system measures individuals - it doesn't measure team performances. Also it doesn't instantly reflect momentum shifts in player performance. There's a deliberate averaging out over a two year period (albeit weighted toward more recent performance).

This is a good thing, It's much better to be a champion team than a team of champions. Bevo has done an amazing job of bringing in kids who slot straight in and perform well. Do we really want to be like Richmond who cant win with without lids?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a little story: I went to the doggies vs cats game last season at Geelong. I was waiting in line to buy a ticket when the bont's dad walked up to me and asked if I needed a ticket since he had a spare and didn't need it. Couldn't count many times I would have thanked him haha. The whole family is class.
He's your favourite player?
Join the club :p
And welcome fellow Bont

Cameron is the only bloke I'd even remotely consider.

Actually, nah, I'd just keep GOATempelli.

Libba and Griffen were top 20 last year, think Judas was 8th or 9th at one stage, they only made the ratings in 2013 or last year IIRC.

Bont and Wood have skyrocketed this year, we will have a few top 50s sooner than later, it's because they're coming off a low base.

WB players with over 350 AFL ratings points, as of today:

Easton Wood 450.9
Marcus Bontempelli 449.8 (58th ranked in the AFL)
Matthew Boyd 439.8
Robert Murphy 437.7
Luke Dahlhaus 416.7
Tom Liberatore 397.5
Will Minson 384.3
Jack Macrae 379.9
Jake Stringer 373.3
Liam Picken 355.6

Wood is going well but Bont should be on top next week. He has already shot past glamour recruits Macrae and Stringer.
Did I read that Bont is the youngest player to make the top 60?

One thing I have noticed this year with the Bont is his vision has improved when going forward. Earlier in the year he was still having his trademark runs but was bombing long a lot (and blind) as was most of the team in a lot of cases. He is now hitting up the lead a lot more.

Very impressive tonight on 360 - growing into the role of a standard bearer for the club.

We could do worse than this guy inheriting the captaincy in a few years.

Libba and Griffen were top 20 last year, think Judas was 8th or 9th at one stage, they only made the ratings in 2013 or last year IIRC.

Bont and Wood have skyrocketed this year, we will have a few top 50s sooner than later, it's because they're coming off a low base.

Griffen was 5th just before the end of the year, and Libba finished the year at 12th.

Agree with the 2nd para - we have a stack of players racing up the list, who started at low bases. Bont could easily finish the season in the Top 20.

Here's a chart of the WB who are now over 350 ratings points or started the season at that level. I have made the three biggest improvers - Wood, Bont and Stringer - as dotted lines.

The convergence is remarkable (again showing we have an even spread of talent) but it also clearly shows the trajectory of Wood, Bont and to a lesser extent Stringer. I'm puzzled Dahlhaus hasn't featured more strikingly but that's a separate discussion.

upload_2015-8-13_9-49-41.png
If you can't quite work out who is who, here's a tip: the legend at right is in the same order as the ranking at R19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back