Werribee v Box Hill @ Werribee Sat 7 Apr 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

3qt bhh lead 12.7.79 - 4.8.32

Young getting a lot but doing nothing with it, murphy has been disgustingly bad and has no confidence atm, cheney has been a general in the back half, mirra going well and the nidfield as a whole are dominating.

Langford got a knee in the back/ass and struggled to get off but he's fine now.

3wbc's radio quality is terrible. weak signal

bhh up 5.3.33 to 1.3.9 at the first break

Thanks mate, interested in yr thoughts on wanga and schnieder, hear they both done well.

Boys on the radio gave Wanganeen best. From what I heard, sounded like other good players were Schneider (36 poss, 3 goals), Lock, Cheney, Pattison, Lowden, Young and Bruce.

Still on the way home but oh what a win! The mighty Box Hill Hawks have just achieved one of the most memorable victories in the club's history tonight!!

I'm going to admit that I was intently watching this game. For some reason I found it scrappy and not very entertaining. By chance I also had the Hawthorn coaching staff within earshot so I was listening to their analysis of players and the game. Also the lighting of the ground made it hard to see across the field so making out who was who, was hard.

BHH were all over Werribee in the 1st half and the game was done at half time. The 2nd half saw BHH let Werribee close the gap due to taking their foot off the pedal.

I'm not going to give best players, etc because I wouldn't really know.

Wanganeen was all around the ground but wasn't as clean as he was last week against the AIS. Pressure was good though.

Bruce was easy to spot with his balding head and I didn't think had all that much of an impact on the game. He loves giving a hospital handpass.

Young got plenty of the ball, but like I said in an mid-game post, he can't hit a target. Whether it be a short kick or long kick it never hit a BHH player. Only once did he hit a target and it led to a Marc Lock mark 15m from goal. (goal was kicked & coaching staff liked the kick) He does position himself in the midfield and contested situations well, but won't be getting a call up if he's not hitting targets.

Sheils got through the game without a fuss. Was clean in the congested situations however was too clean for his teammates and they were sometimes fumbling his clean HBs and he was then having to mop up after them. :p

Schnieder was everywhere, as per usual. Gets a heap of it but isn't all that damaging with it. Having said that he is dangerous around the ball ups in the forward 50. Needs to add some tricks to his if he's to make it to the next level. Top 3 BOG.

Kelly was good. Spoiled well and competed well against the likes of Lachie Hansen. Was helped well by Mirra and Cheney. Hard to give a strong analysis of him because when BHH were going hard, the ball hardly went down to the Werribee forward line where Kelly was.

Cheney was one of BHH's best. Was playing on Ben Warren who was close to worst on ground. Cheney did what he pleased. Pealed off his man to become the 3rd man up and take marks in front of the leading Werribee player as well as offering spoils in the contest and taking the game on. Most of the play that started in the D50 went through Cheney and he used the ball well. The times he didn't usually left the Haw. coaches cursing (literally) how they went out of defense.

Langford has some skills. Attacks the contest hard and uses the ball well. Played in the backline and was good and hard in the contests. Considering his experience, he has very competent decision making. Got crunched in a marking contest where he jumped straight up and a Werribee player came in knees first and collected him in the lower back or buttox. Left him rolling around in pain and he struggled to come off, but after a rub down he came back on unhindered by the hit. He's like Thurgood in that he always is getting a bad knock no matter how hard he tries to avoid it.

Murphy was absolutely shocking. His confidence is shot at the moment. Seemed to drop a lot of his uncontested marks, fumbling the ball badly and getting beaten by players he should be dominating. No way near the Murphy we saw last year.

Of the BHH boys, Lock, Fagan, Mirra and whoever wore 16 were the standouts for mine.

Lowlights include the AFL Victoria game guide. According to their player list David Hale is a skinny ranga who plays in defense (Boseley)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird how the media has zoomed in on Pratt & Daw out of the entire night.

Pratt is effectively annoying, Daw reacted and snotted him. Hope North doesn't make too much out of it, Daw is coming along as a footballer, although he can sometimes try too hard to do something spectacular.

Schnieder was everywhere, as per usual. Gets a heap of it but isn't all that damaging with it. Having said that he is dangerous around the ball ups in the forward 50. Needs to add some tricks to his if he's to make it to the next level. Top 3 BOG.

He could walk into the Hawthorn side with how he finds the ball and how well he uses it.

It's a no-brainer, even if means he has to play as the sub.

Of the BHH boys, Lock, Fagan, Mirra and whoever wore 16 were the standouts for mine.

16 was Sam Cust.

Lowlights include the AFL Victoria game guide. According to their player list David Hale is a skinny ranga who plays in defense (Boseley)?

It wasn't the Game Guide or VFL who stuffed up.
It was Box Hill themselves as they ordered the wrong jumper sizes.
I'm still trying to figure out who wore #59 and #84.
Hopefully, they'll be right for next weeks home opener.

Get him in the side already :eek:

Schnieder is impressive. However, he is a rookie, and cannot play unless someone is elevated to the LTI which fingers crossed does not happen. Further, who will he replace?

I like to see him continuing to perform and play him in the 2nd half of the year, giving mitch a rest

Great report, savagelunchbox - thanks.

Good to hear that Shiels played smoothly - really looking forward to having him back in the Hawthorn team...and great to hear that Cheney is putting it together. From a Hawks perspective, I fear that he might struggle to break into AFL level and another club will take him on - I think he's got real potential.

Boumann definitely played. Copped a right ankle knock but seemed to play through that, then appeared to take a hit in the nads that had him down for a while. Poor bugger picked himself up, however and went for a rest. He returned to the field sometime later, though, so obviously the trainers were able to rub it out.

Damien Carroll certainly doesn't play favourites at Box Hill, and is giving every opportunity to Development Squad youngsters.

Guy Phelps, Sam Cust, Luke Andrews, Michael Thompson & Tom Purcell, as well as Corey Cassidy last week, have been selected ahead of the likes of the more highly rated Beau Muston, Matt Jones, Andrew Boseley, Max Otten & Taylor Gilchrist.

Brilliant report! Grimley and lowden if they played... Cheers!
I'll be honest, I wasn't really watching them and I believe there numbers were 39 and 35 I so i found it hard to decipher who was who under the lights. Lowden did take a good, strong contested mark at the 27min mark of the last quarter about 15m out. He was wresting with his opponent and got rid of them impressively and took virtually an uncontested (although it'll be marked as a contested mark) 15m out, directly in front. I say uncontested because the Werribee player was thrown to the ground.

...Lowden went on to miss the goal. Ugly looking set shot action. :thumbsdown:

I dunno why North supporters are calling for Daw to be playing? He's a long way off AFL level at this point in time. He's very athletic but doesn't convincingly win too many ruck contests. Grimley was matching him athletically and was also using his athleticism around the ground to make contests and trying to win the ball in the air. Daw on the otherhand wasn't as much.

He could walk into the Hawthorn side with how he finds the ball and how well he uses it.

It's a no-brainer, even if means he has to play as the sub.
It's a brainer, HP. He gets plenty of it but doesn't hurt the opposition with it. Like I said he's dangerous in the forward line during ruck contest situation, but elsewhere around the ground he doesn't have all that big of an impact.

Similar to a young Dane Swan in that you'd leave a game thinking "Swan didn't seem to get a whole lot of it" then you read the stat sheet and he was pushing 40 possessions.

With Schnieder you leave thinking "he had a lot of it" but you're also wondering what he did that was damaging. I'd like to see him again because I feel he's not active with the ball. By that I mean he doesn't run with it all that much due to being slow.

Put it this way, he's no walk up start with Hawthorn while we're a top 4 side pushing for a premiership.

Cheney was far more damaging with the ball. Long kicks or direct kicks from the half back line finding open players in a potentially dangerous position combined with plenty of run with the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back