Western bulldogs vs port Adelaide midfield

Western bulldogs vs port Adelaide midfield

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Port. The dogs don't have the right mix of outside class and inside grunt.

Cant agree with this, its just too basic a way to look at it. Maybe the balance is a touch out with Boyd still in the team but looking towards the future were building a stack of midfielders who are all just as good on the inside as they are on the outside, which is a much better way to go than just having pure inside mids and pure outside mids.

Griff, Cooney, Higgins, Hrovat, Macrae, Stevens, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Stringer, Bontempelli, and even Honeychurch, Prudden and Darley (but those 3 are probably a bit more long term) are all very good at the contested side of the game (Maccas non negotiable) but they all have really good skills (some better than others of course but all at least good to very good Imo), theyre all at least reasonably quick and can run and carry the ball as well. Even our more pure inside mids like Libba, Wallis and Clay Smith have a few different strings to their bow (Libba is just a gun and has a really nice kick on him, Wallis has been fantastic tagging an opponent but winning more of the ball than them and Smith is really quick and kicks a lot of goals and is just a psychopath wrecking ball)

We dont need an Andrew Gaff type it just doesnt suit our game plan.

Cant agree with this, its just too basic a way to look at it. Maybe the balance is a touch out with Boyd still in the team but looking towards the future were building a stack of midfielders who are all just as good on the inside as they are on the outside, which is a much better way to go than just having pure inside mids and pure outside mids.

Griff, Cooney, Higgins, Hrovat, Macrae, Stevens, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Stringer, Bontempelli, and even Honeychurch, Prudden and Darley (but those 3 are probably a bit more long term) are all very good at the contested side of the game (Maccas non negotiable) but they all have really good skills (some better than others of course but all at least good to very good Imo), theyre all at least reasonably quick and can run and carry the ball as well. Even our more pure inside mids like Libba, Wallis and Clay Smith have a few different strings to their bow (Libba is just a gun and has a really nice kick on him, Wallis has been fantastic tagging an opponent but winning more of the ball than them and Smith is really quick and kicks a lot of goals and is just a psychopath wrecking ball)

We dont need an Andrew Gaff type it just doesnt suit our game plan.

This Poll isn't taking into account the future. As of right now Port's midfield is clearly better as the dogs just can't use the ball effectively with any consistency.

We have a huge number of players who rotate through the middle.

Boak
Broadbent
Cassisi
Cornes
Ebert
Gray
Hartlett
Monfries
Moore
Pittard
Polec
White
Wines
Wingard
Young

All start in the centre square at various times in games. Hinkley has a focus on players who can be multidimensional and play in multiple positions, even guys like our key defenders are expected to have the fitness to run and support our rebounding from defence all the way to the forward 50. This quality midfield "depth" is probably our strength if I had to name one.

Don't know much about the Dogs' midfield but I love Jackson Macrae and hope he builds on the huge burst of form he's in right now. Surely he must be on the verge of getting a tag? He's outshone Libba consistently this year.

Yep I'd agree with this. It's potentially on the list with Bontempelli, Hrovat, among others like Hunter and Stringer who will hopefully become midfielders, but it's still all potential. Port's is better at the moment, in 4 years who knows?

Port has been trained by Burgess for the last 2 years and if we go 4 years on that is 4 more years of our midfield being trained by Burgess

Port now. Bulldogs with some potential but Port matches it.

Port for me.
I would put them in this order ATM.

Griffen, Boak, Libba, Harlett, Ebert, Wines, Cornes, Polac, McCrae, Cooney, Boyd, Cassisi, Hunter, Wallis.

Did not include Wingard as I see him more as a forward.

Lol what position does Hunter play?

I was just focusing on the pure midfielders. Still, considering players you can rotate into the midfield, it's pretty even. Wingard is obviously the big one, but then there's Dahlhaus and Hunter. Dahlhaus is close to Wingard's equal, while Hunter is a very similar player although not quite at that level at the moment. Higgins and Gray are pretty synonymous, great potential but been hampered by injury in the past. Stringer probably has the most potential of all, though he is pretty far off the others as a midfielder right now.

Disagree I think Port have top liners who can play as pure mids and fwds.

Port imo have more A graders or palyers who are going to be A grade. Wines, Boak, Polec, Hartlett, Wingard are all class...even Robby Gray could be thrown int his group. Then the likes of Monfries/Ebert/Cornes/Broadbent who are all very good players.

Dogs are more workman like imo. Macrae is a jet, Griffen a superstar however I think Libba is very limited and teams are already working him out, Cooney past his best, Boyd works hard and Wallis really has shown alot to date. Macrae is going to be a star!

Ports midfield has ridiculous class and running ability. Favorite team to watch outside of the Tigers.

port easily both now and in 3 years ...

footscray are way overating their mids ....
No doubt Port have the better midfield but I don't think our mids are overrated. Griffens in the top 5 in the league, don't think you will find many people who don't agree that Macrae, and especially Libba have star potential (or in Libbas case, is a star already), Cooney and Boyd while both past their best are both very solid contributors who are paving the way for the kids and the rest are just a bunch of highly rated kids who the only people that really know too much about them would be people who watch dogs games, and thats not many people...

Boak, Cornes, Ebert, Cassisi, Wines, Gray, Polec, White
>
Griffen, Libba, Cooney, Macrae, Boyd, Wallis, Picken

you can also add to that mix.. ie wingard, monfires, broadbent, Hartlett, young.
The depth in the selected 22 on any given day is a huge advantage over the WB. The number of players who can, and do run through the mid or even take centre bounces is huge.
Ports has also matured and now has runs on the board.

Ports by a distance right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

polec front running dog. been found out as soon as port have a down period

Back