What’s it going to take to keep Luke Jackson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Becoming a s**t show in 2019 was the ultimate 4D chess given the draft haul.
Some decent teams down towards the bottom atm. Too early to tank, but if Essendon, PA or WCE keep losing players and struggle for form, then i can see them bouncing back very quickly with a nice draft hand. Especially WCE.

I think hell stay for one more contract at least, probably 3 or 4 years. Time for some lovely Melbourne lady to step up and steal his heart to keep him here forever.
I think he stays. If he’s not fully sure what the future holds he probably signs 2-3 years then regroups. He’s amongst friends, he’s with a team with the window wide open, and he does no harm to his future payment prospects by trying for a few more premiership medals for the next few years

Who gives a s**t lol he either stays for 800ish or he never planned on staying anyway. Giving him a mega million dollar contract would be ******* dumb. I'd rather have the best chance to win flags than have Jackson for 8 years if he takes way too much money.

I can understand that POV but no chance I’d let Oliver walk to keep Jackson. If it was say move Tomlinson and Brayshaw I’m not fussed, but Oliver is a top 5 mid in the game. Jacko could be anything but currently he’s not top 50 in the afl
Almost every media critic would have Jackson in the top 50 players in the league I reckon

Frosty getting all upset over nothing. Sounds familiar.

Tomo is an obvious one, if Gus is determined to be paid he is probably another... Melksham, TMac and Hibbo will free up some cap room and likely to be delisted or retired in the next two years.
probably from a list of; Hunt 2022 rfa, Hibbo 2022, Brown 2022, Baker 2022, Daw 2022, Chandler 2022, Smith 2022, Melksham 2022, Brayshaw 2022 rfa.

Both TMc and Tommo are contracted till 2024. Unless they can't get a game, then they might look at moving on, for what the club can organise for them?

I think he’ll sign up with us up to free agency while we are competing for flags. Will take a big deal after that. Hogan has shown that the grass isn’t always greener and I do think it’s risky leaving a system that has you playing good football. But if he wants to go home then not much we can do but try get the best deal from it and get ruck coverage.

Almost impossible to retain everyone, that’s how the system is designed.

Who gives a s**t lol he either stays for 800ish or he never planned on staying anyway. Giving him a mega million dollar contract would be ******* dumb. I'd rather have the best chance to win flags than have Jackson for 8 years if he takes way too much money.
Yeah you can't help but think Collingwood f*ed up with the Grundy deal in a similar situation... Stay on less $$$ and play in a great team, or f* off on big money and play in a sh**y side. Pretty simple really. I'm assuming WCE will come hard for him as they will potentially high picks next season to offer too. Jackson would be crazy to leave right now anyway. Still young, playing in a winning team, a premiership team. Plenty of time to chase the $$$. Not like he'll be on small coin either on this next contract with us..

Yeah you can't help but think Collingwood f*ed up with the Grundy deal in a similar situation... Stay on less $$$ and play in a great team, or f* off on big money and play in a sh**y side. Pretty simple really. I'm assuming WCE will come hard for him as they will potentially high picks next season to offer too. Jackson would be crazy to leave right now anyway. Still young, playing in a winning team, a premiership team. Plenty of time to chase the $$$. Not like he'll be on small coin either on this next contract with us..
If we pay Jackson over a million then we have to pay Oliver the same and will end up with those 2 and Trac and then have to get rid of everything else. Pickett, Rivers, Sparrow etc because we won't be able to give them half of what they deserve.

None of it matters. If he wants to leave he's gone, if he wants to stay he'll take unders.

It seems like a no lose situation. Either he re-contracts or he leaves and WCE pay through the nose for him. He's not a free agent, we'll get a decent haul of picks for JT to work with. They gave up 3 first rounders for Tim Kelly remember. Tim Kelly!

Footy is not like basketball where you can afford to pay 1-2 blokes enormous contracts and still be successful.
1. The ability of one player to be the difference in results consistently across a season is diminished
2. Having a strong 14th-22nd man has consistently proven important in big finals.
I'd love us to keep Jackson, but no player should ever hold us to ransom.

Look at how Melbourne Storm remained a powerhouse over a decade despite losing top 50 talent regularly. That's the model we should be aspiring to emulate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure a team that cheated on the salary cap should be used as an example 😅
That was 2010. I said a decade meaning the years since then.

Take losing Cooper Cronk as an example - The following four years went Runner up, minor premier, premier, minor premier.

Hoffman, Vunivalu and Chambers are all members of the club's "Team of the first 20 years" and left in the 10 years to 2022 without the Storm missing a beat.

Players can't hold the club to ransom because there's always new talent coming through that can slot straight into their system and culture.

League is a bit looser with the signing/cutting of players. Not 100% how their junior recruitment works either, but with no draft I think it is a bit easier for clubs to exploit by signing gun youngsters before anyone else gets the chance (or cutting deals with feeder clubs for talent).

That said, agree re their professionalism and culture. They're a consistently excellent team despite the high turnover of players

The Russia Ukraine peace accord would be easier to get signed than getting Jackson to put pen to paper.
Pointless discussing it. If he doesnt want to sign thats not our problem.
In the future he'll realise what a mistake he made.
He'll re-sign eventually.

They’re all going to have to take unders. Hawthorn and Richmond didn’t lose any of their absolute stars, and the Cats only lost GAJ (admittedly their brightest star). We need to convince our guys to do the same. Jackson being from interstate is really the only one I worried about. Maybe some pressure comes from SA if Sparrow and Petty play to potential, and I guess maybe Rivers and Kossie could be tempted back, but I think most of the Victorian guys will be convinced to take unders to keep the list together. Obviously shattering if Jackson goes but it’ll give us an opportunity to improve the list in other ways both with the draft hand we get in return and the ‘cap space’. Just need to hope he stays until FA, that alone would be six more years including this one during which we can put some more flags on the board. If he still wants to go after that the WA teams can have him. Dangerous if they want to pay him $1M a season now going into his fourth season, but we definitely won’t be.

Love Dogga, but if he wants to go he goes.

He has the perfect mentor in Gawn and the timing is set up pretty well for him to transition to take over the ruck duties in 2-3 years.

If we can't convince him to stay with the shape we're in and how dire WC/Freo look (Freo winning a few games at the moment but will always have Darcy as 1st ruck) then he was probably always going to leave.

Get some first rounders and let JT go to work again.

Think having Weid play 2nd ruck at Casey is a bit of an insurance policy at the moment.

Think he'll stay, seems to be a good clubman, but if he is absolutely set on moving, we could be coming off B2B flags with potentially two top-five picks in hand for the next couple of years. Win-win really. It's not like we're in trouble in the ruck department as Max still probably has 3-4 good years left.

Obviously he's a rare talent, his ceiling is pretty unknown at this stage and it'd suck to lose him while we're competing, but it's not all doom and gloom either way. I imagine there's a fair bit of cap space that's been put aside for him, so we could even end up bringing another gun in if it does happen.

That all being said, I love him and think he'll sign for another two years or so.

When was the last time you were genuinely worried Toump? Youre a very positive fan
Actually you know what I think the last time I was genuinely worried might be that time we used Pick 3 on a weird looking ruckman in the 2019 draft. Whoops.

Come to think of it I was planning on assassinating our coach around then too, thankfully I'm pretty lazy so didn't carry through with that one but yeah.

I think generally you're right, I am a pretty optimistic nuffy kind of supporter tbh :)

Last edited:
Actually you know what I think the last time I was genuinely worried might be that time we used Pick 3 on a weird looking ruckman in the 2019 draft. Whoops.

Come to think of it I was planning on assassinating our coach in 2019 around then too, thankfully I'm pretty lazy so didn't carry through with that one but yeah.

I think generally you're right, I am a pretty optimistic nuffy kind of supporter tbh :)

I wasn't having a go at you mate, im a negative Nancy. The opposite of you pretty much. Was a genuine question, just wondering if MFC things ever worried you at any stage.

They’re all going to have to take unders. Hawthorn and Richmond didn’t lose any of their absolute stars, and the Cats only lost GAJ (admittedly their brightest star). We need to convince our guys to do the same. Jackson being from interstate is really the only one I worried about. Maybe some pressure comes from SA if Sparrow and Petty play to potential, and I guess maybe Rivers and Kossie could be tempted back, but I think most of the Victorian guys will be convinced to take unders to keep the list together. Obviously shattering if Jackson goes but it’ll give us an opportunity to improve the list in other ways both with the draft hand we get in return and the ‘cap space’. Just need to hope he stays until FA, that alone would be six more years including this one during which we can put some more flags on the board. If he still wants to go after that the WA teams can have him. Dangerous if they want to pay him $1M a season now going into his fourth season, but we definitely won’t be.

Hawks lost Buddy too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back