Opinion Worst (or funniest) Melbourne wins you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton game was funny because it basically it contributed to them missing finals. In a way Carlton in 2022 and 23 is similar to Melbourne 17/18. Just missed the finals then stormed into a preliminary final. At least Carlton fired a shot in their preliminary final.
Boy i hope they have a 2019 season this year

There hasn't been a topic this far up my alley for years.
My first nomination before i decide to go through a list would be Round 16 2015 Vs Brisbane. It's one of the worst wins I've seen live. I took a friend who wasn't into footy but enjoyed some previous games, and he thought it was yikes
View attachment 1889009
This is what I was coming in for. Far enough removed from the rock bottom era that it wasn't good enough just to win, we could afford to sook up about that rotten second half.

The only game that can beat it in the last 15 years was the second one against GWS is 2012 at Manuka Oval. Two * awful teams trying and generally failing to contend with a tricky wind. If I may quote myself:

Myself said:
Everything you needed to know about the way the game was played was revealed when they cut to the GWS coaches box late in the match and found Sheeds gone and everyone sitting around looking bored to death, including comic genius Choco Williams who was absent mindedly playing with a hand fan despite the fact that it was about 5 degrees

Also, the Gold Coast game mentioned in the OP featured one of their players taking a shot on the run and being pinged for deliberate when it went out of bounds. Bit harsh. That game also cracked open the window ever so slightly for us to pass the plummeting North and finish eighth, a fantasy we carried on for about two weeks before losing to a Carlton side full of late inclusions and people you never heard about again.

The Carlton win in 2007.
Nothing satisfying in beating a team that wanted to lose.

Exhibit A - Lance Whitnall deliberately hitting the post in the first quarter.

I’m sure Richmond supporters felt the same when they beat us in 2009.

The Carlton win in 2007.
Nothing satisfying in beating a team that wanted to lose.

Exhibit A - Lance Whitnall deliberately hitting the post in the first quarter.

I’m sure Richmond supporters felt the same when they beat us in 2009.
Lol did you see the last few years of Lance Whitnalls career? No way he deliberately hit the post

Okay the great man fitzpatrick got a mentioned in another thread and it triggered a memory of him slotting a banana from the boundary on the 50m arc.

Under-rated moment from this video is chris dawes actually taking a mark.

My pick is 2018 v brisbane where they were pisspoor and we were attempting to be good for the first time in a decade. total dominance for 2.5 quarters and then just lazily let them kick 7 goals in a row to bring it back to level. that was so quintessential melbourne. Same vein as 2020 v carlton, just get ahead and stop.

Under-rated moment from this video is chris dawes actually taking a mark.

My pick is 2018 v brisbane where they were pisspoor and we were attempting to be good for the first time in a decade. total dominance for 2.5 quarters and then just lazily let them kick 7 goals in a row to bring it back to level. that was so quintessential melbourne. Same vein as 2020 v carlton, just get ahead and stop.
That Brisbane game was our second last game of 2017, I would argue that game was as costly to finals as the Collingwood game because we missed finals by a bee's dick.

That Brisbane game was our second last game of 2017, I would argue that game was as costly to finals as the Collingwood game because we missed finals by a bee's dick.
Spot on.
We kicked 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the last quarter to take a 32 point lead.

Then the pelicans let the wooden spooners kick the next 5 on them.

An absolute disastrous win, and cost us more than the Collingwood loss in round 23 because at least Collingwood were a half competent side that year, and their late season form carried into their 2018 GF year.

Our wins over Brisbane in the 2015-2018 era were a bit meh.

that one was also bad, but im thinking specifically of round 2, 2018.
Gotchya, I kind of forgot about that game but now that I think about it, that was frustrating. Not blaming anyone but if it's the game I'm thinking of,Tyson butchered an easy pass through the centre which turned over into an easy goal shifting the momentum. Before that we were all over them. As frustrating as it was I wouldn't put that with our worst wins imo.

Gotchya, I kind of forgot about that game but now that I think about it, that was frustrating. Not blaming anyone but if it's the game I'm thinking of,Tyson butchered an easy pass through the centre which turned over into an easy goal shifting the momentum. Before that we were all over them. As frustrating as it was I wouldn't put that with our worst wins imo.
What a forgettable bloke Tom Dyson was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I’m another that didnt mind the round 2 2018 win.

We needed a win after getting done by a shitty Max Gawn miss just before the siren against Geelong in round 1. And playing in March humidity up at the Gabba had “trap game” written all over it.

That Cam Pedersen goal, in fact Cam that whole game really pulls the 2017 Brisbane game just enough out of the fire for me

You could tell we where fatiguing towards the end of 2017

I was overseas at the time so didn't see it, but this 2008 win over West Coast doesn't appear to be an oil painting or masterpiece.

Cale Morton 30 touches and 17 marks :oops:

If someone compiled all these shite wins into a DVD compilation I'd watch the s**t out of that, although it'd be more fitting to be on VHS.

I don't think that 08 west coast game was one of our worst wins. We were pretty terrible in 08 so any win is a pass for me. What I remember a few blokes heckling Morton calling him nightlight all game and he obviously had 30 disposals so probably why I remember. At the end of the game the hecklers said well done the bottom team beat the second bottom team by 5 goals. Was pretty stress free watching a terrible team play every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back