Opinion Worst Melbourne losses you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember the year. 2017 maybe? When we dominated Geelong with Jack watts in the ruck and blew it with bad kicking at the dome. Think we did the same thing against the Tigers as well and got over run in the last

Yep correct year. Against Richmond only time I’ve ever given us a pass for a game due to injuries, we had one on the bench and a few guys playing sore by the stage 3/4 time hit.

If these finals losses this year weren't finals, they wouldn't even register.

I sat so many times out in the rain at Waverley or random suburban grounds where the losses were so bad, you just wished you didn't follow the sport. Yeah these finals hurt, but we were in the game up to our eyeballs. The worst losses are the humiliating thumping, and this club has had far too many to list. These finals losses wouldn't even be in my top 50 worst. The only two finals losses that I can think of that would be on this list, is the 87 Hawks prelim and the WCE prelim in 2018. Both of those were diabolical.

But to suggest Goodwin is our 2nd worst coach ever is just off the charts wrong.

Been a Melbourne supporter for 61 years and as of today I’m still shattered after the loss to Carlton. It took me a long time to get over the loss to Hawthorn in the 1987 preliminary final, but this feels worse.

Those 2020 losses up in Cairns were something special. Against Sydney and Freo - both terrible at the time. Chucked away finals after getting our s**t together at the back end of the year.

Really thought we would never put it together.

1987 PRELIM , Heartbreaking as we had enough chances to win but missed easy shots (sound familiar )
1988 Grand final . Just embarrassed by a very good team
2000 Grand final . Not only thrashed , but beaten up as well . (Don't think anyone would of beaten the Bombers tbh .
that game of 186 that we never speak of .
there are others but these stand out to me .

1987 PRELIM , Heartbreaking as we had enough chances to win but missed easy shots (sound familiar )
1988 Grand final . Just embarrassed by a very good team
2000 Grand final . Not only thrashed , but beaten up as well . (Don't think anyone would of beaten the Bombers tbh .
that game of 186 that we never speak of .
there are others but these stand out to me .
That 2000 GF was ruthless, was real men vs boys stuff and we just didn't have the older stronger types to deal with the bombers physicality.

That 2000 GF was ruthless, was real men vs boys stuff and we just didn't have the older stronger types to deal with the bombers physicality.
Essendon were playing angry all year after getting rolled in the 99 prelim. We were never a chance.

I've been a Melbourne fan since 1990 and some of the losses I've witnessed under Simon Goodwin are amongst worst I have ever witnessed in my time supporting the club

I feel we need to keep a running tally of these failures but there will certainly be more until this fraud finally leaves

Top 10 worst Melbourne losses (coach in brackets)
  • R23, 2017 v Collingwood - blew easy chance to play finals against a team down the bottom of the ladder (Goodwin)
  • 2023,QF v Collingwood - 30+ more inside 50's kicked atrociously and lost by 7 points (Goodwin)
  • 2023 SF v Carlton - Dominated the final qtr - once again kicked atrociously and lost by 2 points (straight sets) (Goodwin)
  • 2022 SF v Brisbane - leading by 4 goals in the 2nd quarter against a team that hadnt won at the MCG in about a decade and capitulated (Goodwin)
  • 2018 Prelim - didn’t fire a shot and didn’t kick a goal for an entire half (Goodwin)
  • 2011 loss to Geelong "186" (Bailey)
  • 2013 loss to Essendon by 148 (Neeld)
  • 1992 loss to Essendon after being 47 points up 3/4 time (Northey)
  • 2004 EF Loss to Essendon - their last finals win in 20 years (Daniher)
  • 1993 loss to Sydney (their only win for the year) (Balme)
5/10 to Goodwin - good effort you fraud
In the 2018 preliminary, Melbourne did actually fire five shots in the first half, according to AFL Tables — unless the five behinds off the boot were not shots aimed at goal.

Melbourne undoubtedly had many awful losses through the two decades from 1996 to 2015. So early as 1997, terrible losses by the Demons seemed almost routine and distinctly unmemorable to me even causally observing football. The same was true of the period between 1966 and 1986. I vaguely recall watching a DVD of Melbourne losing by 122 points to Essendon in Round 15, 1986 — after the Bombers had lost seven out of ten and Melbourne were coming off a win over eventual preliminary finalist Fitzroy — and noting how poorly the Demons played.
148 vs Essendon was pretty special too – purely for the fact that [they [Essendon]] weren't that good, even if they were doped up to the eyeballs.
The whole 2013 season was so bad that it would be remembered much more but for Greater Western Sydney flirting with the first 0–22 record, after having suffered the worst percentage since St. Kilda in 1955 in their first season. A friend of mine who was a Melbourne supporter discussed the ineptitude of the early Giants intensely — joking (it may have been an acquaintance of my friend not him himself) about what “GWS” stood for to his perpetual regret — and we hardly talked about Melbourne!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The losses in Cairns hold a special place in my heart. Similar to the Collingwood loss in 2017. Finals on the line and absolute no shows in both games vs terrible opposition who had nothing to play for. Win either one of them and we would have made the finals im pretty sure?

I've probably said it before but 2017 Vs Collingwood. I had the worst time of it. I had booked a train to go down to that game but fell ill with a bad case of the flu and couldn't get a refund. Family was in the process of selling the house and we had some lookers that week while i was bed ridden. That Saturday i was feeling truly awful, we had an inspection and i had to get moved early morning to my Grandma's to crash in her spare room while the flu kicked the s**t out of me. i tried to get the radio on and listen but i kept falling in and out of sleep throughout the game. I did hear that we had lost, but i was so out of it i didn't realise later that night that it was actually true. I was doing better Sunday so i was able to watch the West Coast v Adelaide game on my small mobile phone screen via Telstra. Even then though i struggled to concentrate on the video itself, but i was fully aware by the end of it we we're out of the eight. Of course being ill all i could do was lie in bed and think about the last two days and nothing else. By the time i was feeling good again i had received my 'guide to the finals' the club had sent out

The losses in Cairns hold a special place in my heart. Similar to the Collingwood loss in 2017. Finals on the line and absolute no shows in both games vs terrible opposition who had nothing to play for. Win either one of them and we would have made the finals im pretty sure?

We had a few losses in 2017 that were absolute junk. Dropped two games to North (15th), one to Freo (14th), one to Pies (13th) and one to Hawthorn (12th).

Looking at the stats from the Freo game is just bizarro.

Game was played in a cyclone more or less, we have nearly 90 more touches, 9 more inside 50s, 20 more tackles then kick 4.9 with Preuss at full forward?

Did we also do our ace-up-the-sleeve throw Stevie May to FF in the last 5 minutes? Or did I imagine that.

The Sydney game was equally frustrating - we played Omac and J Wagner from memory and our whole zone defence fell apart as Sydney just kicked over it with the wind and we were caught napping time and time again.

Last edited:
Looking at the stats from the Freo game is just bizarro.

Game was played in a cyclone more or less, we have nearly 90 more touches, 9 more inside 50s, 20 more tackles then kick 4.19 with Preuss at full forward?

Did we also do our ace-up-the-sleeve throw Stevie May to FF in the last 5 minutes? Or did I imagine that.

The Sydney game was equally frustrating - we played Omac and J Wagner from memory and our whole zone defence fell apart as Sydney just kicked over it with the wind and we were caught napping time and time again.

Yeah, we threw May forward once it was all over. Goody at his frustrating best.

We had a few losses in 2017 that were absolute junk. Dropped two games to North (15th), one to Freo (14th), one to Pies (13th) and one to Hawthorn (12th).

We played pretty attractive footy though at least in 2017. Lots of enjoyable games even if there were a few stinky losses.

I thought we were a better team in 2017 than 2018 TBH.
I enjoyed both years, was nice to see us try and kick some big scores back then. Far more fun than the boring s**t we serve up now.

Losing by a point to Essendon after leading by 51 points? at the 12 minute mark of the last quarter is the absolute pits.
It even pops up on youtube occassionally. I cant watch it.
Probably the worst loss ever by any team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back