Opinion Worst Melbourne losses you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing by a point to Essendon after leading by 51 points? at the 12 minute mark of the last quarter is the absolute pits.
It even pops up on youtube occassionally. I cant watch it.
Probably the worst loss ever by any team.

Bit of an exaggeration at the end there. Geelong literally were 23-1 going into a GF in 2008 and lost by five goals for a start.

Bit of an exaggeration at the end there. Geelong literally were 23-1 going into a GF in 2008 and lost by five goals for a start.
Not really. Giving up like they did would have cost supporters. The loss by 190p to Fitzroy back around 1979/80 was the worst losing margin worse than the 186 against Geelong which people always seem to bring up instead of Fitzroy.

Not really. Giving up like they did would have cost supporters. The loss by 190p to Fitzroy back around 1979/80 was the worst losing margin worse than the 186 against Geelong which people always seem to bring up instead of Fitzroy.
186 for one is more modern and fully captured on video and replays it was inescapable. It's also jarring because you wonder how scores like that can happen when the clubs and league are fully paid professionals compared to the part time era. People who remember 190 had to be there to understand the pain of it, and it overtime has faded. It sits as a record for sure, but it's lost it's devastating value over time as it's a while ago now

The 92 comeback game has the same issue, it's footage isn't as common and mainly lives on through Essendon supporters. But I'll agree though, that 92 game is disgusting from what I've seen and it's notoriety over the years

186 again for reference doesn't just sit in the minds of Geelong fans for how good they where, but the AFL community for how truly awful we where that day

Worst losses of the AFL era. So not the one up the OP but I am bored in the offseason so here's my bottom 50. My Criteria is I have to have seen a replay of at least and must be in the AFL era, so 1990 season onwards. Probably more biased to my era of footy but here you go. Some double up but I won't tell if you won't

1990 and 1991 Semi Finals Vs West Coast. Obliterated despite the eagles playing home finals in Victoria

1992 Reserves Grand Final Vs Essendon. Falling short the following year after losing the year prior

1992 Round 6 Vs Essendon. On ANZAC day, Essendon produced the best last quarter comeback by a team and won of their wins of all time. Despite it not being broadcast, the game saw special releases of the last quarter and is still treasured by bomber fans now

1994 Round 9 Vs Sydney. Annoyingly ironic with Barrasi coaching the swans we would fall to the eventual spooners Sydney during our mid season form slump. A game back then we should have won. Losing to them the year prior was also frustrating, but we weren't a better spot to let it slip than we were in 94

1995 Round 22 Vs Brisbane Bears. Sitting in 8th heading into the final round with the bears in 9th it was essentially a final to qualify and despite that Smith mark that lives on forever a pretty forgetful game otherwise where the bears pulled away and sent us tumbling outside of the eight.

1996 Round 1 Vs Geelong. The opener to the centenary season. There was nowhere to hide as coped a belting from Geelong

1996 Round 17 Vs North Melbourne. Destroyed by Carey and the Roos

1997 Round 2 Vs Collingwood. If Round 1 gave false home with the upset over North Melbourne, then being Thrashed by Collingwood our biggest rivalry on a Friday night in front of a massive crowd brought expectations for supporters that year back to reality.

1998 Preliminary Final Vs North Melbourne. Spirited performance but it was just as frustrating watching us miss chances in a final from 20 years ago as it is now. This is more a knock on the final eight system of the time though, it seemed stupid

2000 Round 1 Vs Richmond. Opening game of the Millennium. Despite the season that would follow, we where slow out of the gate and then attempted a late comeback against the Tigers but burnt ourselves out

2000 Grand Final. Any other team and I think we'd be premiers. Unfortunately we played against one of the most dominant teams of all time that where still hungry for glory. On the biggest day we where easily brushed aside as Essendon claimed what was already essentially won.

2001 Round 12 Vs Collingwood. The first annual Queens Birthday from that season onwards, put in a stinker in a down and out season falling far from the year before

2004 Elimination Final Vs Essendon. While it's equally funny that this was their last finals win, this is the one they'll go back too, to remember that feeling. It was a disappointing ending to an improved season

2005 Elimination Final. I was young and hopeful. It was ironic. We had to beat Geelong on our path to secure finals with an amazing win a Kadina park. The team we overcame to help us qualify would be the one to thrash us out of finals. This also wouldn't be the last time as we'll get to the other time. It also wasn't great seeing jeff white get his face kicked in

2006 Vs Carlton. Take your pick it whichever one. Losing to the spooners twice in the same season cost us top four

2007 Round 9 Vs North Melbourne. The start of one of the longest hoodoos and in painful fashion

2007 Round 13 Vs Essendon. The team that had given Neale his start would end it. Throught his coaching career Essendon was no doubt a roadblock. We where seconds away from giving the perfect send off

2007 Round 20 Vs Collingwood. Us and the pies under lights do not mix for some reason. Despite the upset earlier in the year, Neitz 300th was a cakewalk for the pies

2008 Round 19 Vs Geelong. Well this wouldn't be the worst late season game against the cats. But in a dismal 150th year for our club, a thrashing on Friday night was not pretty. Evidently the later game in 2011 would totally overshadow this one. But this was pretty bad early in the Bailey era

2009 Round 12 Vs Collingwood. Listen when you have to debut your not ready teenage first round pick just to get numbers through the gate. Maybe you're not having a good year. Watching that one instance of play where Watts is gang tackled has given me a drive to want to rough up players on debut when they play us

2010 Round 2 Vs Collingwood. I couldn't include the later draw and the performance here is spirited but man that late loss. Still hurts to watch. It was either this or the scrap against the doggies on Pink Lady match

2011 Round 19 Vs Geelong. Nothing to be said

2011 Round 24 Vs Port Adelaide. The first AFL game at Adelaide oval and a one off before the redevelopment. I expected us to win it. Viney picked a weak side just coaching out his days and we annoyingly in my mind let history slip against then cellar dweller Port. Kind of always bugged me and I don't know why

2012 Round 8 Vs Sydney. Howe took a great mark... the scoreboard however is always visible

2013 Round 2 Vs Essendon. This whole season is going to feature heavily on this list. This though was the point where I thought we where going to end up like Fitzroy. I thought for sure we would fold.

2013 Round 7 Vs Gold Coast. Not only did we hand Gold coast their first ever win at the MCG. We where embarrassed by them

2013 Round 18 Vs North Melbourne. They really rubbed our faces in the dirt.

2013 Round 19 Vs GWS. Their only win for the season, Sheedy's last win as a coach. A disappointing loss to an expansion side in their second year. Disgusting

2014 Round 1 Vs St Kilda. Man I remember the hype into this game, we simply weren’t ready and had a lot longer to go in our journey

2014 Round 12 Vs Collingwood. I often forget the early days of the Roos era as the defence first mindset kept us in games early in the season before we fell off. But 1 goal in the first minute and then 3 for the entirety of the game, yikes.

2014 Round 21 Vs GWS. You could see we checked out as we let the Giants with an undermanned bench claim their first victory at the MCG

Nab Challenge Vs 2015. Wow chucking a preseason game in here I know. This was annoying though because despite the Viney kick across goal that cost us victory. For an improving team like us it was a real flattener heading into round 1 to be beaten by that top up side. It would only be topped by the real deal the following year

2015 Round 2 Vs GWS. What a collapse in the second half

2015 Round 15 Vs Essendon. The week before the bombers got smacked by the lowly saints. I fully expected us on the up to topple an Essendon in turmoil. I froze my ass off at the MCG to watch the bombers win. Thankfully the Pies lost to them in the last round otherwise this would have been Hird's last win too.

2015 Round 20 Vs Western Bulldogs. I also went to this game and from watching the teams warm up alone I knew we would be getting thrashed.

2016 Round 2 Vs Essendon. This club has antagonised me a lot more over the years than Collingwood if you couldn't tell. I thought we'd get some revenge, we all thought we would see us pump them after a good fight in round 1. This is one of the worst losses I have ever seen. In my replay archive under my notes section it's simply labelled as “disgraceful”

2016 Round 23 Vs Geelong. You could see that after it finally became mathematically impossible for us to make finals, the players had enough. Despite the amazing win the year before, Geelong handed out another thrashing on their way back into finals after missing it for one year. Not quite the goodbye anyone wanted to give Roos

2017 Round 3 Vs Geelong. Watching inaccurate kicking start to become a theme

2017 Round 4 Vs Fremantle. Watch failed late comebacks and surprise losses to Fremantle become a theme too

2017 Round 19 Vs North Melbourne. Where still their bitches at that point

2017 Round 23 Vs Collingwood. You Know Why

2018 Preliminary Final Vs West Coast. I remember some people here being bullish and that was fair. I said at the time it might go the way of Geelong in 05. Getting put out of finals by the team we had a great victory against to get in the finals in the first place.

2019 Round 23 Vs North Melbourne. If I had to pick a game that summed up 2019 it was either going to be the first round against Port or the last round. I chose the last round as we played the shittier version of the 2016 Hobart game

2020 Round 9 Vs Port Adelaide. We got rolled hard even the reduced times couldn't make the score look better

2020 Round 13 Vs Western Bulldgos. Outplayed all day, it would be a loss that in the long run would cost us too

2020 Rounds 15 and 16. The cazaley games honestly blur together. Take your pick. I hope to never see that ground again

2021 Round 13 Vs Collingwood. Really let Buckley have that final win, we did not prepare for them to come out hard at all while it was played at the * off SCG

2022 Round 11 Vs Fremantle. I'll never understand why

2023 Round 11 Vs Fremantle. The same as last years edition with the added bonus of Luke Jackson smugly dominating.

2023 Semi Final Vs Carlton. I could cop the Collingwood loss, it was deserved. This was one was also deserved but so very painful to endure.

Thanks for coming to me TED talk

I come in piece(s)

But to lighten up this gloomy thread, I will share my teams worst loss to Melbourne.

It was Round 16 1977 and the Demons were near the bottom and Tigers sure thing Finals.

We shockingly lost and if we won we would have finished third with double chance while North would face their nemesis South in the Elimination Final.

In hindsight we would have probably gone out in straight sets while North would have been to buggered to snatch the flag from Collingwood.

So I guess Melbourne did us all a favour on stopping the Magpies that year.

All good now, but really hurt at the time.

And to make it worse on of my favorite Richmond players who crossed to Melbourne that year didn’t even play. So I couldn’t be happy for him either :p

186. Easily the worst in our history.

The 87 Prelim probably 2nd. Only we could lose the game the way we did. This was easily the most heartbreaking

The worst losses are the ones where you are embarrassed to follow the team because they don’t even look AFL standard. See 186 and 148

Followed closely by games where defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory. See 02 SF, 04 EF.

And then, the embarrassment of losing to s**t opposition. See 06 vs Carlton x2, 16 v Essendon top ups.

Unfortunately we’ve had a huge amount of the three categories above. Probably why I felt so ******* angry when we let North get it back under 100 points last year.

The losses in Cairns hold a special place in my heart. Similar to the Collingwood loss in 2017. Finals on the line and absolute no shows in both games vs terrible opposition who had nothing to play for. Win either one of them and we would have made the finals im pretty sure?
Yeah agreed, the games where you atleast expected them to go down swinging and they couldn't even fire a shot hurt.

Sure, losing the 00 grand final and the 18 prelim sucked but we were massive underdogs just daring to dream. To not even fire shots when we had the finals drought tho. * em. Amazing we won a flag considering how many big games this era of team has blown

I know it's recency bias but the Carlton final last year was up there. How to piss away a game of footy "101".

"148" against Essendon was the worst I've seen live. Peak Fitzroy 1996 would have beaten us that night. Then to top it off someone walked in front of our moving train on the way home near Dandenong, probably killing themselves, and we couldn't leave the carriage until 3am.

Somehow dodged "186" due to a 1st birthday party, despite attending most Kardinia park games live since 1990. (Also missed our memorable win in 2021 after the siren thanks to uncle Dan.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betting against us this finals series was such easy money and made the losses way more funny to me
Yeah I bet against us V Carlton to cover my cancellation booking fee for the Brisbane prelim flight that I obviously cancelled.
(booked flight after the Pies loss before fares got out of control)

Other than that, I usually lose when I punt against us. The late season Hawks game comes to mind.

Yeah agreed, the games where you atleast expected them to go down swinging and they couldn't even fire a shot hurt.

Sure, losing the 00 grand final and the 18 prelim sucked but we were massive underdogs just daring to dream. To not even fire shots when we had the finals drought tho. * em. Amazing we won a flag considering how many big games this era of team has blown
18 Prelim would’ve been way easier to swallow if it wasn’t 10 goals to zero at halftime. 2000, I hated because it was Essendon but it was really men vs boys and we were never going to beat them.

When I think of agonising losses the semi final against Brisbane (2022) and the semi final against Carlton (2023) take the cake. While they might not have been our 'worst' losses, we played such dour, stubborn, unattractive football in those two games to the point where I felt like I was wasting my time watching us.

2016 vs Essendon top ups the week after an epic comeback against GWS.
I couldn't get to the game fortunately because my work shouted some of the boys to the storm game and drinks at the pub. Storm got the job done at least. I remember checking the updates and it just never got any better. I think viney described the team playing with big heads after the gws game.
Can't remember the year. 2017 maybe? When we dominated Geelong with Jack watts in the ruck and blew it with bad kicking at the dome. Think we did the same thing against the Tigers as well and got over run in the last
Yeah a lot of nominations for the Collingwood game in 2017 but some of those early losses were costly as well. We really should have smoked Geelong. Losses against Fremantle and hawthorn at the mcg and struggling to put away Brisbane the weekend before Collingwood, which really could have helped to have that extra percentage. The Richmond game I'll let slide we had some injuries and Richmond were in cracking form and hard to stop with their momentum.
Loss against Carlton was ******* hilarious, really. Was the most predictable failure I've ever seen.
Very true Toump, not only the result but how we lost with some classic melbourne choking. When Gawn had that set shot from 20 metres out you could tell he was going to do his hookshot.

Going into losses I witnessed live, to me round 4 1997 vs the western bulldogs, not so much performance wise but I have never felt so cheated by the umpires. Darcy got the softest of calls to kick the sealer.

Round 1 1996 was the biggest loss I've seen. Ablett kicked 10 and we lost by 121 points or something like that.

I actually rank the 148 vs essendon worse than Geelong 186 only because that Geelong team were unbelievable where I just never thought essendon in 2013 were any good. Both very deplorable games. Luckily didn't get to either game, I'll probably never go to a game in Geelong.

Another game that comes to mind, a bit of a deeper cut, was against Sydney in 02. Sydney weren't a bad team but were having an average season. Barry hall came out of suspension and kicked about 7. Just about every Sydney player was on fire that day, meanwhile melbourne came out really flat, typical of melbourne that year.

Now that I think about it that last game of 2019 against Sydney vomit inducing just did not show up bar maybe ANB.

I'm sure there is plenty more but these games come to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back