Opinion Worst Melbourne losses you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

I forgot the honourable AFLW mentions

Round 1 2017 Vs Brisbane. Brisbane would have a good year but for our inaugural match it was gross. Conditions where also disgusting at Casey and i think the match was suspended due to lightning at some point

Round 7 2018 Vs Western Bulldogs. Back when the structure was top two play a grand final. We fell just short of the dogs at the Whitten Oval with some awful umpiring calls. Frustratingly the dogs would go on to beat the Lions the following week

Round 7 2019 Vs Adelaide. We checked out against the marching crows after it became apparent we could not qualify in our conference

Round 3 2020 Vs St Kilda. Against the newly entered Saints who would struggle all season, we did not rock up to Moorabbin

Round 5 2021 Vs Collingwood. Outplayed at Victoria Park

2022 Grand Final Vs Adelaide (The earlier season that year). s**t our pants in the Grand Final

2023 Round 10 Vs Brisbane. Yuck

2023 Qualifying Final Vs North Melbourne. Back to back yuck

2023 Semi Final Vs Geelong. Only played one quarter making an attempted comeback in the last after being outplayed. Out in straight sets like the men

Think all mine have been mentioned:
1993 Swans. They kicked 150 points in their only win of the year.
148&186. Nuff said, I was at the Essendon one.
All of Neeld's losses. Knew we were cooked two rounds into his tenure and was just waiting for him to get sacked.
2017 Pies. Spew.
2018 prelim. What a gag.
The Cairns double feature. When our genius coaching staff swung May and OMac forward I wanted to break my tv.
Giants last year in the Alice.
Last 6 finals our men's and women's teams have played. Each of them was a predictable and slow moving train crash.
That Bulldogs women's match mentioned above. I was there to make it hurt extra.

Our club sucks so much. Absolute losers. Bless them.

Think all mine have been mentioned:
1993 Swans. They kicked 150 points in their only win of the year.
148&186. Nuff said, I was at the Essendon one.
All of Neeld's losses. Knew we were cooked two rounds into his tenure and was just waiting for him to get sacked.
2017 Pies. Spew.
2018 prelim. What a gag.
The Cairns double feature. When our genius coaching staff swung May and OMac forward I wanted to break my tv.
Giants last year in the Alice.
Last 6 finals our men's and women's teams have played. Each of them was a predictable and slow moving train crash.
That Bulldogs women's match mentioned above. I was there to make it hurt extra.

Our club sucks so much. Absolute losers. Bless them.
Cmon mate, we're not St.Kilda or Bulldogs

Dont know about the worst but vs Saints in 2015 and vs Geelong in 2018 were definitely up there for the most rage inducing for me. ******* Toump, stick with your man Montagna you ball watching w***er.

Dont know about the worst but vs Saints in 2015 and vs Geelong in 2018 were definitely up there for the most rage inducing for me. ******* Toump, stick with your man Montagna you ball watching w***er.

Man I was ******* steaming walking out of that saints 2015 game.

Also us choking in danihers last game was nightmare fuel. Up 17 points with 4:44 to go and lose the game :$

Fitting that he cost us the points in the one good game of his entire career

To be fair we probably did deserve to lose that saints game, they dominated that last quarter but couldn't put us away and then howe put us in front with seconds left (enough time for a centre clearance) if I remember correctly gawn won the tap, he could have just tapped it down and create another stoppage but he tapped it into space.

OK after watching the replay posted maybe gawn didn't win that tap, but I still reckon saints dominated the quarter and probably earnt the win. On a plus I like to think lessons were learnt a few years later against West Coast.

Last edited:

After watching this again I just found something to get further angry at Toump over. @ 6:09 , look at him running over to stand next to Montagna... NOW you want to man up Montagna, when we are 2 points down with less than 10 seconds to play, if there was ever a time to not worry about your man and just ball watch that would be it. Absolutely ******* clueless.

After watching this again I just found something to get further angry at Toump over. @ 6:09 , look at him running over to stand next to Montagna... NOW you want to man up Montagna, when we are 2 points down with less than 10 seconds to play, if there was ever a time to not worry about your man and just ball watch that would be it. Absolutely ******* clueless.
That was his breakout game too. I remember many people here pointing it out but then also having THAT lazy defending pointed out back at them

Now that I think about it those two losses against Geelong in 2018 were infuriating. Max gawn missed a sitter to win the game and Touhy flushes one to steal the win after the siren. Both games melbourne should have won, just one win we make the 4. (Probably get pumped by Richmond in the QF)

Sounds like the 2007 - 2013 era was the darkest period in MFC history. Fortunately for me i wasnt living in Australia and didnt follow the game.
I remember the seventies and they were considered the worst time in our history which i think is overblown. We had some damn good players but shocking coaches Skilton Ridley Jones etc. The MFC board were neanderthals.
Totally rubbish people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back