What colours are this dress?

What colours are this dress?

• Blue and Black

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • White and Gold

Votes: 98 73.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have tried everything I can think of to see white and gold and it just doesnt happen.
Yeah ditto, but the other way around for me. Generally with these types of illusions you can bias your visual processing and see the 'other side' but I just can't find a way to see blue and black. Bizarre.

I just looked at it under the sunlight and it sort of looked blue and black.

Then walked into the tram and its clearly white and gold now

Did it hurt? Maybe pain induces seeing White and gold?

Just looked at it on my phone and it's absolutely white and gold. I reckon it's the backlight creating the illusion.
I tried that too and still only got blue and black. Tried changing the brightness levels on both phone and monitor and still blue and black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best guess so far is the brain compensating for the brightness of the surroundings. The sides of the photo are extremely bright; your brain's recognising that the photo is well-lit and interpreting the colours of the dress as if they were in a bright environment. The colours of the dress (which is black and blue) are, by nature, dark - but because your brain's telling you that the dress is lit up, you interpret the 'darkness' as the darkened shadows of white/gold rather than as their original colours.

That said, though, it doesn't account for individual differences in the perception of the colours and it doesn't explain why you can't see the alternative, even after realising. Really weird.

Going by colour codes the "gold" is in the lighter range of the black family, the "white" is in the lighter range of the blue family.

Does anybody else see a lot of flash in the picture?

Is it possible some people perceive the reflected light off the dress material more than others, i.e. see the flash bouncing off black and blue to make gold and white, whereas others perceive it less and just see the material itself?

tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_540.jpg

I see blue and black. A lot of people claim to see it as white and gold. This confuses me. Settle it, BigFooty.

Does it really matter,your arse will still look big in it either way MWNN :p

My best guess so far is the brain compensating for the brightness of the surroundings. The sides of the photo are extremely bright; your brain's recognising that the photo is well-lit and interpreting the colours of the dress as if they were in a bright environment. The colours of the dress (which is black and blue) are, by nature, dark - but because your brain's telling you that the dress is lit up, you interpret the 'darkness' as the darkened shadows of white/gold rather than as their original colours.

That said, though, it doesn't account for individual differences in the perception of the colours and it doesn't explain why you can't see the alternative, even after realising. Really weird.
Somewhat of an example of what I'm talking about because my explanation is woeful:

c.jpg

Both the middle square of the top side and the middle square of the darkened side are the same colour. Because of the context that both are presented in though, the bottom one appears much brighter. It's a normal colour in a darkened environment so your brain tells you that it must be a much more vivid colour than it actually is, and alters your perception. Seems to be a similar thing going on with the dress with the brightness of the image interfering with your processing.

What colours do people see here for 1 and 2?

1:

WoJQQiv.png

2:

S6jjOJF.png
White and gold for both, which pretty much disproves my idea. Has to be something to do with the shadows but I've got no idea at all.

Back