Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Houston didn’t adapt very well, he is used to giving his opponent a bit of space and intercept marking, but Geelong have really accurate half forwards, he needed to play back shoulder more - felt like Geelong kicked 4-5 goals from this loose checking
Houston was a bit down.

I didn't have him in the votes.

If we could add a bit more confidence, skill in the back 6, it would really help.

Todd is the perfect lead up forward not the strong bodied contested mark. He needs space to lead. He's surprisingly quick, has superb vision and is a deadly accurate field kick. If only we had a coach that could maximise the players' talents.
I don't disagree with your assessment of Todd. My beef with him is that he doesn't attack the ball, or the contest, hard enough. Butters isn't strong bodied either. He still gets his fair share of clearances and contested ball.

Yes, we are in dire need of a coach that lets players play to their strengths/talents. It makes me sick to watch him wobble up and down after a win that was set up by mostly discarding his master plan.

A reminder it wasn't just the first two quarters we played well, it was most of the 3rd as well, before loose defence and Willie's brain fade changed the momentum of the game.

I'm sure like most here at 3/4 time I thought we'd lose. With 3 minutes left I thought we'd lose. With 30 seconds left I thought we'd lose.

Drew, JHF, Wines, Burton and others all had some massive moments in that last chaotic few minutes to get us across the line.

With who we had out and under a cloud, that's a great win over there. Not to blow smoke, but argubaly our best win under 'him'.

I'm sure like most here at 3/4 time I thought we'd lose. With 3 minutes left I thought we'd lose. With 30 seconds left I thought we'd lose.

Drew, JHF, Wines, Burton and others all had some massive moments in that last chaotic few minutes to get us across the line.

With who we had out and under a cloud, that's a great win over there. Not to blow smoke, but argubaly our best win under 'him'.
I was confident if we got to 16 goals we would win.

Georgi's great mark and solid conversion got us to 15 at the 7 minute mark of the last, and it was one more and we are there thinking by me. JHF's easy set shot miss and I though, we've blown this,

Not to be a Dorothy Downer but watching the first quarter again Geelong were as insipid in the middle as Essendon were in Gather Round & the space Rioli had most of the night was as pathetic as us with Crows forwards last week.

Great to win there any time I reckon Geelong floated in thinking it was a given though.

Yeah, I thought we played well.

They adjusted after half time and clawed their way back but we didn't capitulate.

Geelong played well but we actually stuck at it and I thought actually held our own.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but the boys held together and I thought Finny taking Rioli aside after the 100 metre penalty was a really good sign.

Even though it was a great win and team effort there was plenty to learn from it.

I would love to see a map of where Geelong scored their goals. Most were directly in front from 30-40 metres. How does that happen? and can we please copy it.

Marshall and Georgie don't put enough pressure on the rebounding backs.

Port players, coaches continue to say when we are in front "we knew they would come back hard at us ..." Its a self fulfilling prophesy. We've got to keep attacking.

Yeah that conceding defeat, just crazy talk. I’d rather hear , yeah we thought they’d mount a challenge, but knew we’d get the job done no worries. Is that so friggn hard !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cameron in concussion protocols.

giphy.gif

A reminder it wasn't just the first two quarters we played well, it was most of the 3rd as well, before loose defence and Willie's brain fade changed the momentum of the game.

Wouldn't even call our defence loose until the Rioli brain fade.

1:30 to go, up by 30 points. Guthrie takes a good mark against Rioli - could have held Geelong in their defensive 50 and ran down the clock a bit but instead Rioli gives away 100m and a goal with no time coming off the clock (other than for the set shot). Gets the Geelong players up and about and the crowd gets into it because it looks like the pressure is getting to Port.

Now up by 24 points - Aliir giving away a stupid free kick against Dempsey when he didn't need to because Dempsey would have never marked that ball in a million years. Dempsey kicks the goal and we are up by only 18 points.

I was confident if we got to 16 goals we would win.

Georgi's great mark and solid conversion got us to 15 at the 7 minute mark of the last, and it was one more and we are there thinking by me. JHF's easy set shot miss and I though, we've blown this,

I was saying we needed to get to 100 points at any point during the game and I'd be confident of a win. Again, without the Rioli brainfade x2, Guthrie is deep in defence with the ball with 1:30 to go and there's no guarantee Geelong score for the rest of the third quarter, since to that point we'd only given up 62 points (21 points in the first quarter (3.3), 15 points in the second (2.3) and until that point, 26 points in the third (4.2).

Geelong goes on to score 3.3 in the last, which shows you what they were really capable of against our defence (5-6 scoring shots per quarter, not the 8 scoring shots and 38 points @ 6.2 that they ended up with).

Going the other way, Port goes 8.2 in the first (10 scoring shots), 4.3 in the second (7 scoring shots), 2.3 in the third (5 scoring shots) and 1.3 in the last (4 scoring shots).

30 points down going into the last would have meant Geelong would have had to do things completely different and not let Port score at all. Instead, they are only down by 18 and have a shot at winning the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't even call our defence loose until the Rioli brain fade.

1:30 to go, up by 30 points. Guthrie takes a good mark against Rioli - could have held Geelong in their defensive 50 and ran down the clock a bit but instead Rioli gives away 100m and a goal with no time coming off the clock (other than for the set shot). Gets the Geelong players up and about and the crowd gets into it because it looks like the pressure is getting to Port.

Now up by 24 points - Aliir giving away a stupid free kick against Dempsey when he didn't need to because Dempsey would have never marked that ball in a million years. Dempsey kicks the goal and we are up by only 18 points.
Houston twice wasn't even close to Stengle after half time, and he took two uncontested marks and goaled both times in the 3rd.

And this, with 2.42 to go in the 3rd, a ball up 9 Port players to 4 Geelong about 30m out. From the tap Sinn under pressure kicks it with his shin, the ball travels 10m, then off hands and bounces a couple of time's just pass the arc

1715413866644.png

And O'connor picks it up and off one step puts its right smack in the middle of a gap because he saw Close was a few metres off his opponent. This defensive lapse, or non thinking might be a better way to put it, shouldn't have happened.

It was Houston again who wasn't up his man's arse.

1715413646592.png

He should have explained to him that's it's not rugby where an advantage can carry on though phases of play. The ball was hacked forward to a group of players, there was no advantage and the ump had blown his whistle and called time off.

Cameron shouldn't even have been on the ground.
All ticket off by the AFL even though he has now entered concussion protocols.

Interesting that Chris Scott referred to us in the presser as an ‘emotional team’ and that we can run hot (and also cold) - not sure if that’s a great title to have.

With Rozee out, and Wines playing his best game in a while - it shows that we could afford to play one of Rozee, JHF or Butters up forward for longer.

With the extra ins and fresher legs this week - I wonder if fitness and having a young side is playing its part. Both with us being an ‘emotional side’ and also not feeling like we can manage hanging tough in other games.

Perhaps going hard on a squad mentality and actually rotating and managing a few players might be a smart move to get through to the end of the year.
Chris Scott says what makes Chris Scott look good.

Truth or not

What's even more bizarre is that when we were 9-2 it felt about right. We were first to the ball and they were undisciplined and off their game.

And then we got tired and sloppy in the second and the 17-8 didn't feel too bad either.

Overall there were probably a few free kicks missed in tight to us, particularly to JHF, and the total maybe should have been closer to 19-20 than 19-17... but I guess what I'm saying is its rare to see a game where the umpiring has had less impact.

We made a few of our frees redundant by playing on as well. Technically it counts as a free but the play would have been identical even if the free wasn't called.

Great win but can we stop this Jekyll and Hyde stuff.
Nope because we can't manage games against quality opposition.

We blitzed Geelong by playing manic football but we were so gassed in the second half that we barely held on. It's not sustainable and I wouldn't be surprised that we show up flat and slow against the Hawks.

It's a great win but part of it came with manic pressure on the opposition. Zero pressure in return. Replay this match and result will be very different. The Cats are better drilled and more disciplined than we are. They were complacent last night.

Thought Rozee was missed in the second half when the front of the stoppage space disappeared

The 49 point lead was a false economy, everything we touched turned to gold for a quarter and a half. That wasn't going to last and when the tide turned and went with Geelong it was going to be a battle.

I didn't think the high press was a big issue this time, it was turnovers in the midfield or in open space in defence that hurt us, then a couple of pieces of slack defending (and Willie's 100m penalty, the 2nd 50 which was umpire over-enthusiasm).

They couldn't miss a set shot in the second half, sure they were mostly in gettable positions but we miss those. JHF kicks that last shot, we go out to a 3 goal lead and that probably takes the wind out of their sails and we win by 4 or 5.

Then there's the apparently non-existent concussion of Cameron which later that night was concussion.

Taking the game over 4 quarters we were the better team and deserved the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back