Opinion We have the cattle

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott said it, we are and have been for a while an emotions based team, when we are on a high there unstoppable, but if we are off, they can stink.

We’ve got a fricken cowboy trying to heed them, I’ll tell ya that much

Not surprising that when the game plan isn't 'me bomb there big man big Dixon' the forward line works in sync.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all mental with us. Has been for a long time. We have the talent to win it all, but we’ll only do it if we play with the right mentality consistently.
The mental side of it is very much on the coach imo. His noise is very much on a negative or loser slant and I am sure this permeates to the playing group. Mind set is an amazing weapon and if you are confident and believe anything can happen. All I know is, that if I were a coach I would be pretty excited to get my hands on our list.

Chris Scott said it, we are and have been for a while an emotions based team, when we are on a high there unstoppable, but if we are off, they can stink.

I reckon it is a fitting description of our team as it relates to our mindset and vulnerability to pressure. It probably is one of a few reasons why there has been a great divide between our best and our worse performances for a decade, and why we do not beat the strong teams at least on a 50/50 ratio. We have these brilliant performances (mostly in patches) when we throw caution to the wind and when it is least expected, but difficult to predict when these performances are coming.

Nah mate. What's Kenny supposed to do with a bunch of spuds capable of getting 50 points up on ladder leading Geelong at Kardinia Park mate. Doing a great job with not much.
Just imagine the ceiling of this group if we'd had the guts to go after a Kingsley or a McRae......

The first 2 quarters and 20 minutes proves it.

The change after the last 5 minutes of the 3rd shows why we don't make the most of it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Almost all the highwater marks of the entire Hinkley Era are above-and-beyond stellar performances where nobody really expects to win, and are usually sandwiched between a disappointing tranche of past and future games that reinforces why expectations were so low in the first place.

• 2013 Elim versus Collingwood @ MCG. Port venture over as $4 underdogs having coughed up a 7 goal lead to Carlton in the farewell to Footy Park the week before.

• 2015 versus Hawthorn @ Marvel. $10 underdogs for good reason having lost to 18th and 17th since also beating the Hawks at home.

• 2017 versus Sydney @ SCG. First win against the reigning Grand Finalist Swans in the Harbour City since 2006, having just come off a deeply disappointing season.

• 2019 versus WCE @ Optus. A big win over the reigning premiers in Perth immediately after the ‘we gotta long way to go to be like Richmond Reserves’ game.

• 2019 versus Geelong @ AO. Clear underdogs against the ladder leading Cats, having come off another bruising loss to Freo in Perth. Just about the perfect performance from Port though, greeted by a spontaneous standing ovation from all quarters.

• 2023 versus Brisbane @ AO. The Lions were expected to frank their premiership favouritism with another win over a Port outfit that hadn’t beat them since 2018. If it wasn’t for a comically lopsided FK-count in Brisbane’s favour, Port probably wins by 100.

• 2023 versus Sydney @ SCG. Smashed by the Pies. Smashed by the Crows. “Untenable”…

• 2024 versus Geelong @ KP. Smashed in yet another Showdown, no Rozee, no Soldo, no SPP. Port had never beaten the Cats outside of Adelaide under Hinkley. And wouldn’t you know it, the zero-expectation Port Globetrotters suddenly appear!

Ridiculous.

We still have a Full Forward with no ankles and a defensive unit that is flaky. Get a different coach who can hopefully recognise what is required to get that defensive unit working well and then we will be a flag chance. We still leak too many goals that a well drilled unit would prevent.

We still have a Full Forward with no ankles and a defensive unit that is flaky. Get a different coach who can hopefully recognise what is required to get that defensive unit working well and then we will be a flag chance. We still leak too many goals that a well drilled unit would prevent.
We definitely need a gun forward before we even think about playing in a Grand Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back