What does life mean to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Small minds talk about people

Average minds talk about events

Great minds talk about ideas

........Roosevelt ....

I'm a family man and love my two boys and wife, by day I help people beat drug and alcohol addictions ...which is taxing but rewarding. Some people I see die ...some will make changes that blow you away and they are heroic in their changes ....

When my car stops in my drive way I think of my family and I'm so fortunate to have a good life. My life wasn't always so easy ....I grew up in domestic violence ridden area and even my parents.

I saw addiction and sister with depression and suicidal thoughts ....I have broken the link in my own family though and none of that occurs anymore for me.

I love my family and I'm kind and caring to them, I kayak and ride my bike a lot to let things go. I have veggie garden and chooks and we eat good wholesome food.

I believe in social justice. I have simple philosophy that through trauma and challenges we can learn and become stronger ourselves. Life is bout squeezing

Yes squeezing ....hug you wife hug your children ....

And look at life like an orange ....squeeze every last bit of juice out of it.

Two easy steps

1) find what makes you happy
2) then find a way to make off of that

"Live.Breed.Die." is what I see to be a basic rule of expansion, and something we share with the ever expanding universe.

That's basically all life, as we know it, for everything from fruit flies and nudibranches to Atlantic Salmon and Humans. Carry on your species, then drop off the perch. There's not a lot more to it.

We like to think otherwise, but in reality, we are insignificant and inconsequential.

Small minds talk about people

Average minds talk about events

Great minds talk about ideas

........Roosevelt ....

I'm a family man and love my two boys and wife, by day I help people beat drug and alcohol addictions ...which is taxing but rewarding. Some people I see die ...some will make changes that blow you away and they are heroic in their changes ....

When my car stops in my drive way I think of my family and I'm so fortunate to have a good life. My life wasn't always so easy ....I grew up in domestic violence ridden area and even my parents.

I saw addiction and sister with depression and suicidal thoughts ....I have broken the link in my own family though and none of that occurs anymore for me.

I love my family and I'm kind and caring to them, I kayak and ride my bike a lot to let things go. I have veggie garden and chooks and we eat good wholesome food.

I believe in social justice. I have simple philosophy that through trauma and challenges we can learn and become stronger ourselves. Life is bout squeezing

Yes squeezing ....hug you wife hug your children ....

And look at life like an orange ....squeeze every last bit of juice out of it.

Quite beautiful............but whichever way you go about it and no matter which belief you subscribe to............there comes a moment that you one has to think to oneself.........."WTF is all this about?"

We still don't have an absolute answer so for now I guess, life is what you make it.....................(breaks into Talk Talk song) :)

...........and it's Eleanor Roosevelt.

Everyone is talking about Goodes

Everyone is talking about the event that happened with Goodes

No one is talking about ideas to fix it .......

Roosevelt was spot on

Here are some of the most poetic interactions from the paper (sic):

Human: What is the purpose of life?

Machine: To serve the greater good.

Human: What is the purpose of living?

Machine: To live forever.

Human: Where are you now?

Machine: I’m in the middle of nowhere.

Human: What is the purpose of dying?

Machine: To have a life.

Human: What is the purpose of emotions?

Machine: I don’t know.

Human: What is moral?

Machine: What empowered humanity, what intellectual the essence is.

Human: What is immoral?

Machine: The fact that you have a child.

Human: What is morality?

Machine: What is altruism?

Human: What is the definition of altruism?

Machine: If you don ‘t believe in god, then you don’t know.

Human: OK…so what is the definition of morality?

Machine: Well, the truth is, you ‘re not a believer in god almighty.

Human: Tell me the definition of morality, I am quite upset now!

Machine: I’m not ashamed of being a philosopher

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/google-tests-new-artificial-intelligence-chatbot-2015-6

Everyone is talking about Goodes

Everyone is talking about the event that happened with Goodes

No one is talking about ideas to fix it .......

Roosevelt was spot on

Because nobody wants to do what is required to fix the underlying problem, and most of those close to the advocacy and decision making power know that, so they just keep looking for the next band aid to make it look like they're doing something.

Just interested to hear other peoples thoughts on life in general. Do you feel you have purpose? How did you find it if so? Personally I feel like I'm in limbo and everything exists but I can't explain why so I'm finding it hard to comprehend other people in positions of power. Why are some peoples thoughts seen as more important or insightful than others?
Do you feel as though you have as much freedom as you would like? Obviously we have more than citizens of North Korea, for example. But thinking about it purely from an individual point of view, do you feel in control of as much as you would like to be? I don't have a problem with people in positions of power for things such as deciding what road needs fixing or sports organisations organising a competition. But there are laws I don't believe in, I feel everyone is entitled to make their own choices and not be judged for it. No one has the absolute meaning of life so how can someone tell me that that smoking pot for example is illegal like they have more of an idea of how life is supposed to be than I do?

Sometimes I just want to have a magical island where anyone that wanted to come could do whatever they wanted to as long as it didn't harm anyone else mentally or physically and we'd just be the best place in the world.

I watch things like Parliament Question Time and I sit there thinking why are these people all arguing with each other like their opinions are more important. Why don't they all work together to come to a solution and give constructive feedback rather than T**ty tat over what Politician Y said in May 2013 or what Politician X promised at 2pm on November 22nd, 2006. If the people running the country cant even agree with each other where does that leave us?

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I am stoned and hallucinating on mushrooms at the moment. And then give my grain of salt back I'm not made of salt you know.

I'm not sure how old you are but I probably felt that way through my teens and twenties. I felt I had some much to offer but no idea where I fitted in and how the game was played. It can be frustrating until you fall on your feet and given a shot in life.

In my 30s and 40s I found my groove and couldn't be happier. So yes, I feel I have purpose and I found it by simply getting involved.

My only advice is:
- don't watch politics, they are mostly really horrible people who play games with the masses.
- enjoy your youth, you will only have it once
- enjoy your drugs but in moderation and only take them when you are happy
- get involved......this is hard but the more you do, the more you will achieve ad want to do

Because nobody wants to do what is required to fix the underlying problem, and most of those close to the advocacy and decision making power know that, so they just keep looking for the next band aid to make it look like they're doing something.

I posted in the swans thread

A mate came up with an idea ...he made hand painted sigh saying stand and clap at the 7 minute mark of the the third quarter .....and look at what happened

He's my best mate and his name is Rodger ...?He's a Pom of all things and said hey we all deserve a fair go,

However he came with an idea ...,walked around the stadium before the game with very simple painted sign and look how it took off

...loved it

Oddly at the time it happened I was kayaking in the middle of the ocean but listening on the radio and little did I know it was my best mate who had instigated it ....filled my heart with pride

Solutions and ideas are the secret to life's successes

We will face challenges that need this mindset .....

As a long term mental health problems (specifically depression) sufferer, life means very little to me. The ongoing battles, which just seem to be getting get worse and worse, mean I have very little motivation for life nor do I get any joy from it. It's simply a matter getting through each day as best I can, which I do to the best of my ability.

As a long term mental health problems (specifically depression) sufferer, life means very little to me. The ongoing battles, which just seem to be getting get worse and worse, mean I have very little motivation for life nor do I get any joy from it. It's simply a matter getting through each day as best I can, which I do to the best of my ability.
I know it doesn't mean much but I hope things somehow get better for you Sherb!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it does, it's a very kind thing to say and much appreciated. Thank you. :)

I know that one. Mostly no ups or downs, and only downs when one does hit; mostly just seeing out time breathing until that stops.

If you're lucky you grow up with good parents and teachers who will prepare you for modern life. If you're really lucky you will find a partner that loves you and wants to live their lives with you. You're next step is to have children and to be good parents to help prepare them for modern life. Then you grow old and die.
If you're unlucky then all of the above will be very hard for you, then you will grow old and die.

If you're lucky you grow up with good parents and teachers who will prepare you for modern life. If you're really lucky you will find a partner that loves you and wants to live their lives with you. You're next step is to have children and to be good parents to help prepare them for modern life. Then you grow old and die.
If you're unlucky then all of the above will be very hard for you, then you will grow old and die.

I'm fairly sure all of us will grow older, hopefully old, but certainly all of us will die.

From a species level your right its all about procreation but I would hope most us could have more ambition and achievement than bacteria.

best wishes for you. life's journey is tough enough to deal with, without health issues.

I'm fairly sure all of us will grow older, hopefully old, but certainly all of us will die.

From a species level your right its all about procreation but I would hope most us could have more ambition and achievement than bacteria.
You have to look deeper than just thinking it's all about procreation. Life, and it's meaning, is all about families and family structures. Has been from the very beginning. Society and government should be all about nurturing and protecting this. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen. At the moment we live in a "me" society, and unfortunately there's no "me" in family.

You have to look deeper than just thinking it's all about procreation. Life, and it's meaning, is all about families and family structures. Has been from the very beginning. Society and government should be all about nurturing and protecting this. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen. At the moment we live in a "me" society, and unfortunately there's no "me" in family.

I'm very family orientated but for health reasons I will chose not to have kids. I don't feel that decision makes my life any more complete or incomplete. but I do agree life is about relationships whether they are family, friends or other but disagree about the need to procreate.

I also suggest that you can't truly look after others if you don't look after yourself. So a very healthy balance and a commitment to both is very important......and yes I agree we don't have that balance here in Oz. I feel that is because we have such a prosperous nation providing a great social welfare system (sure it could be better) and good income for men and women. This is a relatively recent phenomena and Oz society hasn't really adapted yet. It is kind of perverse that social welfare, allowing divorce, allowing women to own property, allowing women to work has meant individuals within a family unit don't need each other as much.......or so they think. the reality is strong bonds that can see through tough times is more important than the freedoms and options we have available to us.

I know that one. Mostly no ups or downs, and only downs when one does hit; mostly just seeing out time breathing until that stops.
best wishes for you. life's journey is tough enough to deal with, without health issues.
Thanks to you all.

I only posted as I wanted to show the perspective of someone who has battled mental health demons for a long time. It shows how much your state of mind determines your view of life and the world.

It certainly wasn't a sympathy seeking post. Empathy helps of course, however I have found that in a situation like mine you feel terribly alone, no matter who you tell or who you have around you.

I am still reasonably functional as a person (although I have just gone through a pretty shitty 4-6 weeks or so, one of the worst downers I have had for a long time) and I certainly haven't given up. I battle on in the hope I can make progress.

My dad gave up, committed suicide. I don't blame him, mum died young and he never got over it. His own family had a pretty tragic and ****ed story, so I can see where his issues (and mine to an extent) had its roots.

Anyway, I didn't want to make things too "dark", but it's nice to get your story out there I guess.

State of mind is so important and I'm not referring to mental health here. we have all experienced fear when walking into a crowd or an unfamiliar setting yet we all know first impressions count. so knowing we will encounter a "negative" or "defensive" mindset, we should all learning tricks to "trick" your mind into a positive space.

I have unsteady hands. My Dad has real bad hands now and his Dad was the same. Whenever someone notices it I get worse. This can cause me to have anxiety attacks where I cannot write. I know I shouldn't worry about it but I cannot help it. I really should see a Doctor so it doesn't get worse when I get older!

Bit of an update, I'm currently the most comfortable with life I have ever been and I truly feel unstoppable. Something in my head just clicked one night and I realised that this is all what I make of it, I'm in control of my thoughts and my actions and everything else is inconsequential. I've been really getting in to philosophy lately and have been reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, a lot of what he has said is making sense to me. I liked the quote "You will not often find a man coming to grief through indifference to the workings of another's soul, but for those that pay no heed to the motions of their own, unhappiness is their sure reward."
I've brought myself out of a slump where I lay in bed all day wondering what the point of it all was and realised within myself that I'm going to die one day anyway so I might as well make the most of it while I can. And if I don't, does it really matter anyway? So I'm learning Spanish and decided I'm going to move to Mexico, because why not? I really wish I could fully express the way that I'm feeling, words can only go so far. I have no anger or regret towards the past, because that is the past and that is how I got to where I am today. And I dont worry about the future because that is the future. You can only live in the present and do what you are doing now. It's all so cliche, I think everyone's mind works in different ways in that some people get enjoyment out of different things which I know for a fact I don't, so how can one tell me how to be happy? You can only decide it for yourself. I think getting to the lowest point and being able to get out of it has given me the confidence to do anything I want to do and being at that point has strengthened my resolve immensely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back