Moved Thread What I hate about BigFooty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it when you post something about another club that is a bit of a negative, no matter how constructively you try and say it. Then the only replies you get are, "Yeah but Essendon are crap". This thread is a prime example.

The only thing I was trying to say was that if the Dogs play like that they won't beat teams like Hawthorn and Geelong but Dogs supporters decided to turn it into a "Yeah but Essendon suck" thread.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453789&page=6

In some ways I think it is gutless to be an unlisted but on the other hand I fully understand why people do it.

Yeah, thats why when you support a crap team you need to mind your own business.:thumbsu:

Inaction of mods and the lack of response as to why that inaction exists. If I report a post and nothing happens, at least the courtesy of advising why my report was ignored would educate me on what is apparently acceptable that I didn't think was.

What I hate is that they've turned the best AFL forum on the net into an absolute bore.

They allow moderators to moderate subjectively. So much so they make the AFL & it's officials look consistent.

In fact I'm starting to think 'moderator' is a Bigfooty pseudonym for 'troll'

Some of the team and other boards are great but this board has gone to the shithouse.

What I hate is that they've turned the best AFL forum on the net into an absolute bore.

They allow moderators to moderate subjectively. So much so they make the AFL & it's officials look consistent.

Some of the team and other boards are great but this board has gone to the shithouse.
I entirely agree, one particular mod hands out infractions on a whim, and for the most inane and petty reasons.

This board has been ruined by haphazard selection of mods.

Banning trade games from the Draft and Trade space, i loved playing them and you cant get a good game when it is in hte Games Board

I've only got a couple, generally BigFooty is a very good forum and I don't really think there is much wrong with it.
Some things with the site I don't like;

Point A) The new sub-board fad we seem to be going through. I think providing it is football relevant and not a blatant trolling effort, then it deserves to stay on the main board. I don't see the need to move media related football issues and such things to another board.
I realise it is to reduce congestion on the main board, but I don't generally find this is a problem anyway. Usually popular threads, with a good initial topic will stay active and get consistently posted in, which in turn pushes the crap threads further down the list.
Issues like umpiring and the media are prevalent in modern football, and because of this I think they deserve to be discussed with everything else on the main board. Otherwise once topic are moved to sub-boards, they are never noticed again. I have never bothered to visit the sub-boards for previously mentioned topics, simply because it is just a bit annoying and inconvenient.
I, personally, already spend enough time on this website in between the main board and my clubs board, I like to just pop in on the mainboard, browse through for some topics relevant to my interests, post and then leave.
I just think at the moment some very interesting and significant subjects lose traffic due to being segregated.

Point B) - The new colour scheme. It is only a minor issue, but it is pretty off putting to say the least.
I survive with it quite easily, but it is still not something I like about this site. Makes it very dull and dreary.

Point C) - This is more just a little desire I've always had, although I am not sure if the technical support on this site could incorporate it.
I use Mozilla Firefox because it pwns, and one thing I really like about it is its incorporated spell check. But for some reason the spell check only works when you click 'New Reply' and doesn't work if you choose to do a 'Quick Post'.
I was just wondering if there is anyway to change this?

Point D) - Lastly, another small thing, but is there anyway to input a feature to stop people quoting whole bloody posts and only writing say, one lines response?
God this annoys me.

That quoting whole posts and typing one line thing annoys me too.

Mods who abuse their position to infract posters who disagree with their opinions .

Mods who beg for the position and when granted, use the power like little Hitlers .

I totally agree with this gentleman's comments!

Absolute discrace that one can't post differing opinions!

When I did, I got booted.

Too many boards now... The 4th estate?

I'll second that. Dedicated boards are all well and good when they are wide areas of discussion, but I hate having to track any more than 2-3 boards at a time to see what's going on. Dilutes the atmosphere.

Also, the fact that Oogac, Biffinator and Tigerboyz aren't paid to post full time on Bay 13.

And very shortly you will receive an infraction for some minor indiscretion that under normal circumstances would have been over looked until you criticised the way the boards are moderated.

Watch and see

Mods who abuse their position to infract posters who disagree with their opinions .

Mods who beg for the position and when granted, use the power like little Hitlers .

I totally agree with this gentleman's comments!

Absolute discrace that one can't post differing opinions!

When I did, I got booted.

There are some 12,000 posts per day, this site has been running for about 8 years which equates to a s**t load of posts.

In all that time, how many times has a moderator been found to be wrong in a decision they have made.

I'm betting its none

well the moderators who sit behind there computer screen and act like some kind of tough men heros.......

the frontrunning supporters who u never hear of for years that come out of the woodwork because there side is winning a few games....etc....hawthorn supporters.....

people that bag and talk up certain players when they dont have there facts to back there statements up......that really shits me most people on this site have never seen footy back 5 or so years ago living in dreamland....probably most of them are all under 21

There's too many people on here who rubbish the mods.

Sure you might feel like you get the odd bad beat, but hey, the mods are here to keep this wonderful site up and running and from turning into a dungslide.

So thanks mods...

It's only the rubbish mods who get rubbished!

There are some 12,000 posts per day, this site has been running for about 8 years which equates to a s**t load of posts.

In all that time, how many times has a moderator been found to be wrong in a decision they have made.

I'm betting its none
I got banned by Ripper after suggesting that he was being a goose for sooking about umpiring a good 24 hours after the game. I appealed up the chain and got reinstated within hours.

That happened a week or so ago.

I got banned by Ripper after suggesting that he was being a goose for sooking about umpiring a good 24 hours after the game. I appealed up the chain and got reinstated within hours.

That happened a week or so ago.

How do you appeal up the chain?

This is what I'm dealing with at the moment.

Quote: "Reinstatement to our board is dependant on the moderator's assessment of future worth. That has not been looked at." Un-Quote

It has happened a few times on this thread and constantly on all boards. People who take one brush to colour a group of people. My biggest gripe here.

Yeah I noticed cause people are doing this to supporters of the team I support. That said I noticed it happen to West Coast supporters and Geelong suporters recently after these two teams recent GF wins. It is human nature to gloat/be smug when thigs are going well, and yeah some people take it too far, but to assume 100% of that group is like that or even agree with them is a little short sighted.

That said, despite my obvious dislike for this simple practice of generalisation, I put up with it... why, cause it is a public forum that can be accessed by using a public means of mass media, this allows a large group to converse about something they all like and gather information. If you have issues with any old joe/josephine coming here and offering their two cents (informed or otherwise) leave, work out how to host your own forum and set one up with strict rules that will prevent the type of person you don't want from ever joining.

If you can't be bothered with that at least realise that not everyone from a sample of the whole is like that nuffy who just said that a three legged goat can run better than your clubs best ever player.

A great example is my bias against a Geelong poster here. I don't equate all geelong posters as idiots or disregard them with a basic generalisation. In fact I consider majority of Geelong posters to be some of the best here. To draw an extreme example, are all Austrians power hungry racists who have world domination on their personal to do list?

So please, make use of this PUBLIC forum, that allows pretty much anyone to visit and join, with a little less prejudice if you can. If you do, you might work out that it isn't just another "stupid X supporter" who just posted on a thread, but rather a person who has an opinion on the game.... and might just hit a great nugget of truth now and then. I am certain there are members who would like to post more but dont' for fear they will be ignored or hounded based on a childhod decision on who they liked the most when they first started taking an interest in footy. I have a general rule, if I would not be willing to say what I am thinking out loud to a person I won't type it. Sounds preachy and sanctimonius? Sure, but it keeps me out of trouble around here.

Other than that, I consider big footy to be an OK place to visit. if I didn't I wouldn't keep on coming back, now would I?

It has happened a few times on this thread and constantly on all boards. People who take one brush to colour a group of people. My biggest gripe here.

Yeah I noticed cause people are doing this to supporters of the team I support. That said I noticed it happen to West Coast supporters and Geelong suporters recently after these two teams recent GF wins. It is human nature to gloat/be smug when thigs are going well, and yeah some people take it too far, but to assume 100% of that group is like that or even agree with them is a little short sighted.

That said, despite my obvious dislike for this simple practice of generalisation, I put up with it... why, cause it is a public forum that can be accessed by using a public means of mass media, this allows a large group to converse about something they all like and gather information. If you have issues with any old joe/josephine coming here and offering their two cents (informed or otherwise) leave, work out how to host your own forum and set one up with strict rules that will prevent the type of person you don't want from ever joining.

If you can't be bothered with that at least realise that not everyone from a sample of the whole is like that nuffy who just said that a three legged goat can run better than your clubs best ever player.

A great example is my bias against a Geelong poster here. I don't equate all geelong posters as idiots or disregard them with a basic generalisation. In fact I consider majority of Geelong posters to be some of the best here. To draw an extreme example, are all Austrians power hungry racists who have world domination on their personal to do list?

So please, make use of this PUBLIC forum, that allows pretty much anyone to visit and join, with a little less prejudice if you can. If you do, you might work out that it isn't just another "stupid X supporter" who just posted on a thread, but rather a person who has an opinion on the game.... and might just hit a great nugget of truth now and then. I am certain there are members who would like to post more but dont' for fear they will be ignored or hounded based on a childhod decision on who they liked the most when they first started taking an interest in footy. I have a general rule, if I would not be willing to say what I am thinking out loud to a person I won't type it. Sounds preachy and sanctimonius? Sure, but it keeps me out of trouble around here.

Other than that, I consider big footy to be an OK place to visit. if I didn't I wouldn't keep on coming back, now would I?

I totally agree with what you have said.

There is nothing I've posted that I wouldn't or couldn't justify in one way or another. I love my footy. I love this site. My opinions are informed and not about three legged goats etc.

It's just that without strict guidelines for the Mods to adhere to, subjectivity comes into it, and allows bias also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back