Business & Finance What is your current job?

Are you happy in your current position?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First job was a paper boy - the old-fashioned kind, where you walked an early-morning route with a barrow and whistle. Blow the whistle, people come out in their slippers and dressing gown and buy the paper.

Did it from about 10 to 14, was good fun. Only a few hours a week, but cash in hand and I didn't have to give up my weekends and afternoons. Being out in the fresh air was a plus too.

I thought you were 30 something, not 130 something. I have legit never heard of anyone my age doing that.

I thought you were 30 something, not 130 something. I have legit never heard of anyone my age doing that.
Would have been around the mid-90s. I think part of the reason the route still existed is because it ended at a local hospital - back in the days before iPads and Pay TV, I used to sell about half my barrow to patients in the wards.

Would have been around the mid-90s. I think part of the reason the route still existed is because it ended at a local hospital - back in the days before iPads and Pay TV, I used to sell about half my barrow to patients in the wards.
Yeah, Cease, wtf mate! How old are you?!

I pegged you for mid-late 30s

Having a paper route in the 1990s is nothing out of the ordinary.

Delivering the paper like a door to door Footy Record seller sounds like my old man telling me of milk still being delivered from a cart pulled by Clydesdales in country WA int he 1950s.

First job was umpiring indoor cricket. The amount of times grown bogan men would threaten to fight a 15 year old (might have even been 14) umpire in the car park after games was hilarious.

Good money, cash in hand. Fantastic at the time but crickey there are some ********s playing social sport

My first game of indoor soccer was against a team of Greek butchers and they harassed the young umpire so bad that an adult had to umpire the rest of the game.

I played one more game and never bothered playing again after that.

My first game of indoor soccer was against a team of Greek butchers and they harassed the young umpire so bad that an adult had to umpire the rest of the game.

I played one more game and never bothered playing again after that.
Don't blame you

We were in a 7aside soccer comp in the offseason for a while here. My team consisted of 2x footy players, a tennis player, 2x b grade soccer players, a kickboxer and the goalie. The 'proper' soccer teams wanted blood every time we beat them. They couldn't stand losing to people who 'weren't good'. 2 fights in one season when we don't care about winning/losing because it's just a run around was enough to leave. This year I had a bloody mixed team in a different men's league and one team flew into tackles against us. Pathetic

It's amazing how often social futsal, indoor, 7 aside kicks off but the trouble is ALWAYS started by a certain group of blokes. If you've played in these types of leagues, we're all picturing the same blokes, I guarantee it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't blame you

We were in a 7aside soccer comp in the offseason for a while here. My team consisted of 2x footy players, a tennis player, 2x b grade soccer players, a kickboxer and the goalie. The 'proper' soccer teams wanted blood every time we beat them. They couldn't stand losing to people who 'weren't good'. 2 fights in one season when we don't care about winning/losing because it's just a run around was enough to leave. This year I had a bloody mixed team in a different men's league and one team flew into tackles against us. Pathetic

It's amazing how often social futsal, indoor, 7 aside kicks off but the trouble is ALWAYS started by a certain group of blokes. If you've played in these types of leagues, we're all picturing the same blokes, I guarantee it

I don't know about soccer but I played over 30s basketball a few years back. Great group of blokes, was rapt to get back into bball.

After about a season I figured out we were "that" team, we had at least 3 blokes who liked to start fights, was terrible. We'd struggle for numbers too so when they got sent off or ejected we'd be down to 4, sometimes 3. One game we finished with two players, me and one another. Even my opponents were asking why I played with those guys.

Great blokes to have a beer with though.

I don't know about soccer but I played over 30s basketball a few years back. Great group of blokes, was rapt to get back into bball.

After about a season I figured out we were "that" team, we had at least 3 blokes who liked to start fights, was terrible. We'd struggle for numbers too so when they got sent off or ejected we'd be down to 4, sometimes 3. One game we finished with two players, me and one another. Even my opponents were asking why I played with those guys.

Great blokes to have a beer with though.

Geez, you hope blokes grow out of that by the time they're that age.

Back