What Is Your Expectation for 2024?

What Is Your Expectation For 2024?

• Top 6

• Middle 6

• Bottom 6

• No Ceiling

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can definitely see that happening, especially if Yze takes the approach of putting time into developing the kids, rather than treading water with proven players, who have shown that they're no longer at their best outside the odd game here and there. Not saying that we'll outright suck, but expecting players who were part of our last flag in 2020 to be playing at the same level in 2024 is not realistic. Sure they'll be competitive enough, that we don't fall to WCE level of bad, but I just can't see us jumping up the ladder like some think.

I think it is more about whether we can play a game style that maximises our strengths and we have key players fit. I suspect (no knowledge, just my glass half full thinking) that the young guys are ready to step into holes. So as the older guys drop the younger guys come up. But we probably can't cover Lynch. And if our midfield can function to what is on paper rather than what we saw on field in 2023.

Ooze has a huge job to make this work. But if he can then we have a very strong squad in period without genuinely great teams. interesting times as they say

I think it is more about whether we can play a game style that maximises our strengths and we have key players fit. I suspect (no knowledge, just my glass half full thinking) that the young guys are ready to step into holes. So as the older guys drop the younger guys come up. But we probably can't cover Lynch. And if our midfield can function to what is on paper rather than what we saw on field in 2023.
Ooze has a huge job to make this work. But if he can then we have a very strong squad in period without genuinely great teams. interesting times as they say
Good point...
The AFL Old Boys Club has been successful with it's insidious/tenacious 'equalization' program for the AFL Comp...
(insidious in the way it goes about it...no transparency!)
Note the massive hand outs to NORFLOL, GCS, GWS and to other Clubs with choice Player Academies...secret sauce recipe for determining player's worth!
The last great Team dominating the AFL Comp would be us...and look at the furious implementation of 'equalization' occurring under the watch of The AFL Old Boys Club...massive rule changes and free kick adjustments indeed to prevent a 4peat!
No more strong Clubs grouped and rorting at the top of the Ladder now as in the past days of the grand old VFL!
Strong team may be re-defined as...Admin, Home Ground Advantage, Actually owing and playing games on a home ground, Facilities, Most Supporters, most A grade players...
This so called period we maybe entering...with so called great teams not dominating the AFL Comp...
Might be called the era of 'great role model teams'...
Lack of genuine A grade talent to go around may mean an extra focus on the bottom 8 players of a team.
With an AFL Comp so watered down by extra teams...we may see a Fitzroy Effect...constant weak teams...dominated by a team with a top franchise player supported by 21 role model players...
Interesting times indeed!

Good point...
The AFL Old Boys Club has been successful with it's insidious/tenacious 'equalization' program for the AFL Comp...
Note the massive hand outs to NORFLOL, GCS, GWS and to other Clubs with choice Player Academies...secret sauce recipe for determining player's worth!
The last great Team dominating the AFL Comp would be us...and look at the furious implementation of 'equalization' occurring under the watch of The AFL Old Boys Club...massive rule changes and free kick adjustments indeed to prevent a 4peat!
No more strong Clubs grouped and rorting at the top of the Ladder now as in the past days of the grand old VFL!
Strong team may be re-defined as...Admin, Home Ground Advantage, Actually owing and playing games on a home ground, Facilities, Most Supporters, most A grade players...
This so called period we maybe entering...with so called great teams not dominating the AFL Comp...
Lack of genuine A grade talent to go around may mean an extra focus on the bottom 8 players of a team.
With an AFL Comp so watered down by extra teams...we may see a Fitzroy Effect...constant weak teams...dominated by a team with a top franchise player supported by 21 role model players...

Agree completely.

I suspect that well run teams with money will tend to over perform, and teams with less $ and less well run will under perform - ongoing. Which will cause issues in the AFL HQ, as their equalisation will lead to a lock in of teams.

Of course over time arrogance and FIG JAM will lead to come clubs losing the plot. And some teams will do an RFC and suddenly get good. But I reckon a few clubs can stay competitive for a long time now.

Agree completely.

I suspect that well run teams with money will tend to over perform, and teams with less $ and less well run will under perform - ongoing. Which will cause issues in the AFL HQ, as their equalisation will lead to a lock in of teams.

Of course over time arrogance and FIG JAM will lead to come clubs losing the plot. And some teams will do an RFC and suddenly get good. But I reckon a few clubs can stay competitive for a long time now.
Yeah...thinking the scatters with their own home ground and advantage from playing a set amount of games there...
That home ground advantage prolly the equivalent of a first round draft pick every year!

Yeah...thinking the scatters with their own home ground and advantage from playing a set amount of games there...
That home ground advantage prolly the equivalent of a first round draft pick every year!

It could become a problem though. Cats win an extra few games each year, if they aren't actually a contender might make the difference between top 5 picks and 8-12 picks. They might end up in no where land. we can always hope.

But I expect them to be good, and manage their situation well. Like I reckon we will.

My expectation for 2024 is to make it to 2025 and if i do that then 2024 will have been a successful year.

Oh footy, i have no expectations. I go purely for the enjoyment now and the weekly meet up with mates, so much so that when the fixture comes out i look at it from a social point of view more than a footy point of view.

All depends on keeping our best players on the park for extended periods. I truly believe the players lost interest last year after Dimma ****ed off and injury to key players didn't help at all. Hoping for a rejuvenated playing group under a fresh coach

My expectations

• Finish somewhere between 10th and 15th
  • MRJ to become AFL level and get another contract
  • Cumberland to have a huge season in the 1s
  • Dusty to leave at year's end, with our blessing and the hugest of thankyous to him
  • McAuliffe to play 6+ games
  • Grimes to retire
  • Balta to start forward but go back again, partnering Gibcus for our next premiership tall defensive duo
  • Graham to leave at season's end
  • Ross to stay best 22 all year
  • Daniel Rioli to move back to the forward line, whether immediately or later in the year
  • Sonsie to establish himself as a good midfielder, but lacking explosiveness becoming a discussion point
  • Naismith to play some games and be a fantastic get
  • Brown to play 15+ games
  • Yze's game plan to excite and enthuse us all, and make footy enjoyable to watch despite the lack of wins

Round 0 team prediction (not what I want but prediction) - 28 point loss to Gold Coast

Grimes, Young, Broad
Vlastuin, Gibcus, Short
Pickett, Hopper, McIntosh
Martin, Kositzchke, Bolton
Clarke, Balta, Cumberland
Nankervis, Taranto, Prestia
Baker, Graham, Ross, D. Rioli

My fear...

- We do indeed finish 15th and stack ourselves with a big draft hand, but the draft talent is shite (so far the names and their descriptions do not inspire much, the best looking player so far doesn't look overly amazing and he's tied to the Crows anyway)
Liked pretty much all of this except Dusty won’t leave us. I’m certain he wants to be a 1 club player

And no mention of big Samson who I reckon is gonna go to a new couple levels

Good point...
NBA/NFL ? theres already a stadium here sponsored by them,how long B4 the indigenous game is fully infiltrated and fully corrupted
by them ? id at a guess say corruption/manipulation/engineering is 50-60% atm and rising fast and full infiltration may mean only 51% representation( from behind the curtain of course).
oh i forgot to mention WWE,under theyre laws and copyrights etc ALL SPORTS are entertainment and all are subject to providing the best outcome for the owner/s

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a good feeling about Colina. What sort of freak can run with the midfielders at 213cm. Could he be a Mark Lee type ruckman, athletic power runner a little rough around the edges. Might not have Lee's white line fever, but Nank can teach him some tricks.

He could overtake Ryan because way he is more athletic and who knows what he is capable of up forward. If Mason Cox can do it, with no footy background, why not. Blicavs his last game of football was when he was 14 years old, Colina played for Calder Cannons as a 17 year old in the NAB so miles in front. Basketballer also = good hand eye.

Got a good feeling about Colina. What sort of freak can run with the midfielders at 213cm. Could he be a Mark Lee type ruckman, athletic power runner a little rough around the edges. Might not have Lee's white line fever, but Nank can teach him some tricks.

He could overtake Ryan because way he is more athletic and who knows what he is capable of up forward. If Mason Cox can do it, with no footy background, why not. Blicavs his last game of football was when he was 14 years old, Colina played for Calder Cannons as a 17 year old in the NAB so miles in front. Basketballer also = good hand eye.

I hope he can be fit and start to play football. If he has some half decent skills then he can add some outside ability as a super tall.

Where I see his advantage is basically as the tallest ruck, who already has the ball vision and tap skills to be good to very good. So it wouldn't be difficult for Colina to be AFL standard tap ruck. But beyond that it will be a huge lift for him to be a good AFL player outside tap ruck. If he can track like Soldo then we have a huge win. Taller more athletic, so potentially a higher ceiling.

I want Colina to be dominating VFL by end 2024. That will make me happy

I hope he can be fit and start to play football. If he has some half decent skills then he can add some outside ability as a super tall.

Where I see his advantage is basically as the tallest ruck, who already has the ball vision and tap skills to be good to very good. So it wouldn't be difficult for Colina to be AFL standard tap ruck. But beyond that it will be a huge lift for him to be a good AFL player outside tap ruck. If he can track like Soldo then we have a huge win. Taller more athletic, so potentially a higher ceiling.

I want Colina to be dominating VFL by end 2024. That will make me happy
His first year in the VFL was the most below par player I have seen on a list, he wont make it.

His first year in the VFL was the most below par player I have seen on a list, he wont make it.
Big difference coming from basketball in Hawaii to half way through a vfl season (debuted rd.12). From memory he was a tall, slow lumbering giant who could not get near it.

Coming back to the club this year he came 3rd/4th in the 2km time trial for the 1-4 year players. Ruckman, besides Blicavs, don't do that. Of course it's long shot, and I'm not predicting anything, just optimistically throwing it out there.

Wouldn't shock me.

I hope he can turn his size and athleticism into being a capable tap ruck, and some sort of marking target. That's about it.

Big difference coming from basketball in Hawaii to half way through a vfl season (debuted rd.12). From memory he was a tall, slow lumbering giant who could not get near it.

Coming back to the club this year he came 3rd/4th in the 2km time trial for the 1-4 year players. Ruckman, besides Blicavs, don't do that. Of course it's long shot, and I'm not predicting anything, just optimistically throwing it out there.

I hope your gut feel is right. Not sure he will make it. But he has some amazing tools - not footy as yet unfortunately.

His body has gone through a complete transformation, whether that amounts to anything remains to be seen. Using his limited game time at VFL level where he played predominately forward isn't the yardstick to judge him by. Deserves a fresh start given the only games he has played where with less than ideal lead up and and hasn't been able to get on the field since due to injury.

Most likely amount to nothing but something to work with at the very least.

Let's just wait for Colina to have his first half decent game at vfl level before getting carried away. He was ******* putrid in 2022. Barely took a mark and even struggled for a hitout. No chance he over takes Ryan any time soon.
Agree, Ryan seemed to progress. Would be happy if Ryan's marking percentage from attempt improved with the assumption that he will carry a bigger frame into 2024.

Let's just wait for Colina to have his first half decent game at vfl level before getting carried away. He was ******* putrid in 2022. Barely took a mark and even struggled for a hitout. No chance he over takes Ryan any time soon.
He literally couldn't kick the ball the last time he was on a field for the VFL.

I remember him lining up for goal and Maric yelling out from the boundary line "kick it like we did in practice".

He proceeded to barely drop the ball on his boot before missing by a mile.

He just needs to play some footy. Coming from a mile back.

Hopefully he gets some continuity in the VFL but we will have 3 or 4 talls that can ruck in the VFL this year so who gets the minutes????

Back