What Is Your Expectation for 2024?

What Is Your Expectation For 2024?

• Top 6

• Middle 6

• Bottom 6

• No Ceiling

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Club never buys in a new Coach with just a sole focus on developing young/untried players...
If that is/was the aim...the Club could have continued with Minnie...
Clubs are always in contention for the Finals and Flag...
Their is just too much talent at Tigerland not to be in Finals contention...
Yze...must know put energy into actions/results rather than gratuitous chatter...
I'm not saying the sole focus should be on developing youth, but it should be part of the bigger picture that Yze and the club are looking at, which I believe it is given his statement of if you get stuck in the past, you die in the present.

To me that suggests that Yze knows that we can't just wheel out all the premiership players with a smattering of youth and expect us to become a genuine premiership contender again. We need to put time and effort into developing the next generation as well as developing a game plan that can return us back to being a premiership contender.

That is why I said that our focus (IMO) should be more towards youth than experience when it comes to selecting the team this season. It might mean that we don't win as many games as our list could, but the longer term benefits will be better for the club moving forward, than if we simply tread water in the middle of the ladder, not really being a contender for a premiership or getting access to the top end talent in the draft.

As I said if we somehow even up in contention for the finals, while playing a team with more youth getting opportunities, then it's a win as we'll know the kids have the ability to take us forward, then we can try and use our draft hand to get access to the top end talent. If we don't find ourselves in contention, but the kids are showing good signs, then we'll end up with access to the top end talent in the draft to continue to build the list for the future.

I don't see how anyone could be upset with the club trying to develop the youth, while also trying to win games.

Our kicking historically hasnt been great which has been well mentioned by many posters as an issue with a corridor game plan, however, I present to you the players capable of making this work, especially from half back / wing which is when you need it,

Brown
Banks
Rioli
Short
Sonsie
Clarke
Dusty
Floss

All of the above are elite by foot.

To a lesser extent

Gibcus - can clear zones
Balta - can clear zones if allowed to run and kick long again

I think we are well equipped to play this way

Watched a few replays of games from last season. Ralphsmith stood out more than I thought in his games. Looks good in defence. Banks, Clarke, Cumberland, Rioli, Bauer, Brown, Sonsie, Ryan, Ross, Gibcus, Dow, Coulthard, Ralphsmith could be a pretty dangerous group of players very quickly

Our kicking historically hasnt been great which has been well mentioned by many posters as an issue with a corridor game plan, however, I present to you the players capable of making this work, especially from half back / wing which is when you need it,

Brown
Banks
Rioli
Short
Sonsie
Clarke
Dusty
Floss

All of the above are elite by foot.

To a lesser extent

Gibcus - can clear zones
Balta - can clear zones if allowed to run and kick long again

I think we are well equipped to play this way

Could list half those players and it could still work. Attacking through the corridor like the best teams do in the current AFL is mostly down to 2 players who are capable of hitting those targets which then opens up the game for the rest of the team who can execute when not under pressure. Brisbane have Coleman and McKenna and the rest of their backline are very average users, Collingwood have Pendles and Daicos, Sydney when really trying to take the game on use Gulden and Blakely and Dogs primarily through Dale and Daniel.

Its far a different style of game plan to that of Hawthorn who were a death by a thousand cuts kind of approach and had a team full of good kicks. This current style is hitting the tough option inside then utilising the new rules to receive of that options moving the ball quickly before the opposition gets a chance to restructure.

Could list half those players and it could still work. Attacking through the corridor like the best teams do in the current AFL is mostly down to 2 players who are capable of hitting those targets which then opens up the game for the rest of the team who can execute when not under pressure. Brisbane have Coleman and McKenna and the rest of their backline are very average users, Collingwood have Pendles and Daicos, Sydney when really trying to take the game on use Gulden and Blakely and Dogs primarily through Dale and Daniel.

Its far a different style of game plan to that of Hawthorn who were a death by a thousand cuts kind of approach and had a team full of good kicks. This current style is hitting the tough option inside then utilising the new rules to receive of that options moving the ball quickly before the opposition gets a chance to restructure.

Good explanation.

The key to making this successful is having a structure of play that creates the opportunity to move the ball quickly and fluently into the forward line. A total focus on kicking means that it's stop start. The way it works best is a kick hits a target in a space and you have players moving past that person and then you can move the ball quickly forward into a relatively open forward line. Sounds easy but is very hard.

Teams structure defensively so that they always have someone in the obvious holes and are moving in a good structure to stop that quick ball movement. So to get the space and time to create that fast ball movement means that you have to hit a (mostly) difficult target out of defence somewhere in the corridor, because that is where there is the most space and it is the shortest route to goal. That's where you need a really good kick. Once you hit that target and get that 1-3 second bit of time to move the ball fast then it's about running patterns and (hopefully) hitting fairly easy targets without pressure. Then the final kick into forward 50 is important, but you basically rely on that kick being from whoever got into the right place at the right time. It's very difficult to rely on one or two players to make that kick, because the oppo will just shut them down and your game falls apart.

If we have 4 players that run from defence/defensive wing and hit targets you have plenty. After that you must have runners, contested ball winners, defensive beasts etc. To have all that be great kicks is an A grade player. And teams don't have a squad of 22 A graders.

We have recruited those players and they are started to come through (Brown, Banks esp).

Underlying why this style is the key nowadays is that the stand rule means that the super pressure we applied and the controlled chaos we used is easily able to be stopped (often enough anyway). But if teams just try and play stand = no pressure slow kicking then the modern defensive structures (that Dimma essentially created) they won't score. So you have to mix and match the ease of that first kick to something approaching a helter skelter style once you get space.

Great point.

Good explanation.

The key to making this successful is having a structure of play that creates the opportunity to move the ball quickly and fluently into the forward line. A total focus on kicking means that it's stop start. The way it works best is a kick hits a target in a space and you have players moving past that person and then you can move the ball quickly forward into a relatively open forward line. Sounds easy but is very hard.

Teams structure defensively so that they always have someone in the obvious holes and are moving in a good structure to stop that quick ball movement. So to get the space and time to create that fast ball movement means that you have to hit a (mostly) difficult target out of defence somewhere in the corridor, because that is where there is the most space and it is the shortest route to goal. That's where you need a really good kick. Once you hit that target and get that 1-3 second bit of time to move the ball fast then it's about running patterns and (hopefully) hitting fairly easy targets without pressure. Then the final kick into forward 50 is important, but you basically rely on that kick being from whoever got into the right place at the right time. It's very difficult to rely on one or two players to make that kick, because the oppo will just shut them down and your game falls apart.

If we have 4 players that run from defence/defensive wing and hit targets you have plenty. After that you must have runners, contested ball winners, defensive beasts etc. To have all that be great kicks is an A grade player. And teams don't have a squad of 22 A graders.

We have recruited those players and they are started to come through (Brown, Banks esp).

Underlying why this style is the key nowadays is that the stand rule means that the super pressure we applied and the controlled chaos we used is easily able to be stopped (often enough anyway). But if teams just try and play stand = no pressure slow kicking then the modern defensive structures (that Dimma essentially created) they won't score. So you have to mix and match the ease of that first kick to something approaching a helter skelter style once you get space.

100%. Browns development is going to be key to how successful we are at creating scoring opportunities from our rebound 50's. He is the one with the most potential to pull off the kicks I regularly see the likes of Coleman and Daicos do. Short, Banks and Rioli are all good ball users in their own right but Brown has the ability to really open the game with some of his corridor kicks.

In fact in an ideal world I would want either Short or Brown making the corridor kick with either Rioli (*still tempted to throw him forward) or Banks being the one to receive the handball receive from whoever marks and be the ones to run 15 and kick inside 50m on the tit of Martin/Cumberland or Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%. Browns development is going to be key to how successful we are at creating scoring opportunities from our rebound 50's. He is the one with the most potential to pull off the kicks I regularly see the likes of Coleman and Daicos do. Short, Banks and Rioli are all good ball users in their own right but Brown has the ability to really open the game with some of his corridor kicks.

In fact in an ideal world I would want either Short or Brown making the corridor kick with either Rioli (*still tempted to throw him forward) or Banks being the one to receive the handball receive from whoever marks and be the ones to run 15 and kick inside 50m on the tit of Martin/Cumberland or Lynch.
Don’t forget my great hope, Tyler Sonsie. Good decision maker and an outstanding kick on either foot. Just needs the tank and game time imo to be a very very good player

Damn I like how your mind works.

Rioli and Banks are good (Banks potentially) running players, so i agree completely.

I think we are bottom 4, too many teams ahead of us. I look at other teams, and apart from West Coast, maybe North and Hawthorn (Both who have better youth than us atm), I just don't see who we have a better list then. We will be competitive (which is all I expect for this season), but I just don't see us doing much damage with the list we have.

We don't have a lot of star young players coming through apart from Gibcus. Good B-C graders sure, but not a list of young players that will win a flag in the future. Imo, we need a couple of bottom 4 finishes to set us up for a bright future.

It's not all doom and gloom like some outsiders seem to think though (and god I do hope we prove Kane Cornes wrong)

I think we are bottom 4, too many teams ahead of us. I look at other teams, and apart from West Coast, maybe North and Hawthorn (Both who have better youth than us atm), I just don't see who we have a better list then. We will be competitive (which is all I expect for this season), but I just don't see us doing much damage with the list we have.

We don't have a lot of star young players coming through apart from Gibcus. Good B-C graders sure, but not a list of young players that will win a flag in the future. Imo, we need a couple of bottom 4 finishes to set us up for a bright future.

It's not all doom and gloom like some outsiders seem to think though (and god I do hope we prove Kane Cornes wrong)
our list is better than umpirewood

Like anyone thought the wobbles had much as a list going into '23. Still don't.

Wobbles had some fluoro help but they ended up with the best team.

Tigers don't need stars coming out out their wazoo, just need to put it together every week.

If we keep on like we have in 2023 then you are right. However, if we can get the midfield working to the level of talent in it then we are top 8. If we can get the forward line working then we are top 4. The midfield is a matter of tactics and getting the players to gel. So doable. The forward line is a mess that requires either a fit in form Tom Lynch or some very different thinking. A lot harder.

I am very much glass half full. But acknowledge that we are in trouble if we don't get things right fairly quickly.

If we keep on like we have in 2023 then you are right. However, if we can get the midfield working to the level of talent in it then we are top 8. If we can get the forward line working then we are top 4. The midfield is a matter of tactics and getting the players to gel. So doable. The forward line is a mess that requires either a fit in form Tom Lynch or some very different thinking. A lot harder.

I am very much glass half full. But acknowledge that we are in trouble if we don't get things right fairly quickly.
yze was at the shemans last year

if shemans had just kozi last year wouldve beat umpies in the qf easily

also wouldve beaten the blooze easily with kozi

My expectations

• Finish somewhere between 10th and 15th
  • MRJ to become AFL level and get another contract
  • Cumberland to have a huge season in the 1s
  • Dusty to leave at year's end, with our blessing and the hugest of thankyous to him
  • McAuliffe to play 6+ games
  • Grimes to retire
  • Balta to start forward but go back again, partnering Gibcus for our next premiership tall defensive duo
  • Graham to leave at season's end
  • Ross to stay best 22 all year
  • Daniel Rioli to move back to the forward line, whether immediately or later in the year
  • Sonsie to establish himself as a good midfielder, but lacking explosiveness becoming a discussion point
  • Naismith to play some games and be a fantastic get
  • Brown to play 15+ games
  • Yze's game plan to excite and enthuse us all, and make footy enjoyable to watch despite the lack of wins

Round 0 team prediction (not what I want but prediction) - 28 point loss to Gold Coast

Grimes, Young, Broad
Vlastuin, Gibcus, Short
Pickett, Hopper, McIntosh
Martin, Kositzchke, Bolton
Clarke, Balta, Cumberland
Nankervis, Taranto, Prestia
Baker, Graham, Ross, D. Rioli

My fear...

- We do indeed finish 15th and stack ourselves with a big draft hand, but the draft talent is shite (so far the names and their descriptions do not inspire much, the best looking player so far doesn't look overly amazing and he's tied to the Crows anyway)

Last edited:
My expectations

• Finish somewhere between 10th and 15th
  • MRJ to become AFL level and get another contract
  • Cumberland to have a huge season in the 1s
  • Dusty to leave at year's end, with our blessing and the hugest of thankyous to him
  • McAuliffe to play 6+ games
  • Grimes to retire
  • Balta to start forward but go back again, partnering Gibcus for our next premiership tall defensive duo
  • Graham to leave at season's end
  • Ross to stay best 22 all year
  • Daniel Rioli to move back to the forward line, whether immediately or later in the year
  • Sonsie to establish himself as a good midfielder, but lacking explosiveness becoming a discussion point
  • Naismith to play some games and be a fantastic get
  • Brown to play 15+ games
  • Yze's game plan to excite and enthuse us all, and make footy enjoyable to watch despite the lack of wins

Round 0 team prediction (not what I want but prediction) - 28 point loss to Gold Coast

Grimes, Young, Broad
Vlastuin, Gibcus, Short
Pickett, Hopper, McIntosh
Martin, Kositzchke, Bolton
Clarke, Balta, Cumberland
Nankervis, Taranto, Prestia
Baker, Graham, Ross, D. Rioli

My fear...

- We do indeed finish 15th and stack ourselves with a big draft hand, but the draft talent is shite (so far the names and their descriptions do not inspire much, the best looking player so far doesn't look overly amazing and he's tied to the Crows anyway)

OK, I'm another Rob. And I reckon our journey is likely to be like the Giants last year, slow and patchy then coming home hard. Otherwise I'm not a million miles away. Hope MRJ steps up, lot to like. But it doesn't sound great.

Can definitely see that happening, especially if Yze takes the approach of putting time into developing the kids, rather than treading water with proven players, who have shown that they're no longer at their best outside the odd game here and there. Not saying that we'll outright suck, but expecting players who were part of our last flag in 2020 to be playing at the same level in 2024 is not realistic. Sure they'll be competitive enough, that we don't fall to WCE level of bad, but I just can't see us jumping up the ladder like some think.

Back