What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry to bust some chains here, but a lot of you have bad memories about how good Terry Wallace was for our side. He took a team from 2nd last in 1996 to within 2 points of a grand final the next season 1997. I, for one, will never forget that, and I believe he was always good for getting 'backs to the wall' wins out of our side in his time. Probably the best coach I've seen at the Dogs in 30 years!

Sorry to bust some chains here, but a lot of you have bad memories about how good Terry Wallace was for our side. He took a team from 2nd last in 1996 to within 2 points of a grand final the next season 1997. I, for one, will never forget that, and I believe he was always good for getting 'backs to the wall' wins out of our side in his time. Probably the best coach I've seen at the Dogs in 30 years!
Disagree. We underperformed with the list we had at that time and no standout super team in the league. He was severely outcoached in finals also. 1996 was an aberration much like 2007, we were always headed to finals with that list, as we made them in 1995 and 1994. Joyce had just lost the players in 96. Wallace was an okay coach but after 98 we got progressively worse each year he was in charge (as he moulded the team in his image) and his tenure at Richmond was terrible. Honestly I don't see any evidence that he was better than Wheeler let alone Malthouse (who I hate but can coach) or Eade.

Disagree. We underperformed with the list we had at that time and no standout super team in the league. He was severely outcoached in finals also. 1996 was an aberration much like 2007, we were always headed to finals with that list, as we made them in 1995 and 1994. Joyce had just lost the players in 96. Wallace was an okay coach but after 98 we got progressively worse each year he was in charge (as he moulded the team in his image) and his tenure at Richmond was terrible. Honestly I don't see any evidence that he was better than Wheeler let alone Malthouse (who I hate but can coach) or Eade.
Sorry, can't agree with this. Reading a few of the player's view, Wallace brought a lot to the table in 1997 when he became coach. I'll go into more detail later.

Sorry, can't agree with this. Reading a few of the player's view, Wallace brought a lot to the table in 1997 when he became coach. I'll go into more detail later.
I didn't say he was a s**t coach, just that he was not the best we've had in 30 odd years. He could be innovative and a great motivator, but he tried too hard to be too clever too bloody often. He was also regularly outcoached by the better coaches of the era, especially in finals. Fact is we underacheived with the list we had with no stand-out powerhouse at the time, and we steadily got worse with him as coach after 98. No player's views will change that.

If memory serves, Joyce was a bit out of it and didn't know half the list. Think Johnno's book referred to Joyce not knowing the new players coming through, so it was easy for him to step up from that.

Good article on Jacko
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-26/confident-macraes-next-step

"I think through the pre-season I've been building my form and my body and growing from last year," Macrae told AFL.com.au.

"I'm more confident in my ability and position on the ground. It's good to play some consistent footy and hopefully it can translate into some wins."

The teenager spent the off-season working on the defensive aspect of his game, as well as toiling with high performance manager Justin Cordy to try to add a few more kilograms to his 191cm, 83kg frame.

"I do have certain areas that I want to improve but mainly all areas - my strength, my kicking, my defensive side especially," Macrae said.

"I really wanted to improve and become a complete two-way player.

"I'm still only 19 years old [and] there's still a lot of room for improvement, so I've been working with Justin Cordy. He's been terrific this year with everyone.

"Going through the stats over the pre-season, we've upped our volume by over 100 per cent almost, so a huge step up from pre-season and hopefully we can build on that."

Bulldogs veteran Bob Murphy mentored Macrae in his first season, while coach Brendan McCartney has also been credited with having a big impact on the teenager's improvement.

"It's been huge [McCartney's influence]," Macrae said.

"Coming from under 18s, I was probably a bit more of an outside, uncontested player and [McCartney] has really preached the contested side of the game, which doesn't come naturally to me, so that's been really good.

"When I was drafted I was lucky enough to be partnered with Bob Murphy, who is a great player at this club and a great person in the AFL.

"If I had a career like his, I'd be pretty happy."

The Bulldogs will be looking for their first win of season 2014 when they face North Melbourne on Sunday at Etihad Stadium.

Macrae said the team was keen to rebound after a disappointing performance against the Eagles.

"It was a long flight over to Perth and the conditions were pretty hot. We've got another game coming up in a week," he said.

"We'll recover first and go through the tape and work with the line coaches on what areas we need to improve and we're pretty confident on bouncing back."

Those who pooh-pooh the idea that players on an AFL list might still be "learning the game" should read this quote from McCartney. It's not an opinion of his, it's a simple statement of fact:

“He arrived at our club with no idea how to find his man and was amazed when we asked him to stand in a certain spot at a stoppage. But we have been able to add formality to his game and he is coming along well. He is so much like Joel Corey. He looks at you puzzled (when you pull him up), but his next comment is, “Well help me fix it”. I love that in young people.”
:hearts:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On The Couch interview with BMac from earlier this week.

Cheers for the upload.

Appreciate McCartney's forthrightness. It's easy to write it off as footy mumbo-jumbo and as ignoring the question, but his basic, patient and friendly approach to handling the media is something I enjoy seeing and hearing.
He's not going to provide Before The Game (rest in peace) with much material to take the piss out of him, though. Let's leave those antics to Malthouse and Clarkson.

Havent watched it yet but thats good to hear and Jones has made a very good start to the year Imo. A couple of very good games in the 2s, a game to get back up to speed (but with a hell of a lot more effort than we've seen before) and then a very good game last week.

Cant ask much more than we got last week he played exactly how we want him too, kicked a few, took some marks and delivered a few balls inside 50 but also his tackling and pressure is just so much better than it has been in the past, even late in the game. Maybe his tank has improved over the off season (or atleast his work ethic is up)

Wouldn't mind bringing in Cordy this week, hes had a really good start to the year and Minno needs a back up against GWS but also he's actually a pretty smart forward, even though hes never had a huge impact up forward in an AFL hes really good at doing little things off the ball which he doesnt get credit for, like blocking defenders tohelp out his teammates. Which would really help out our other talls and now that hes got a bit of confidence and is taking overhead marks he can have a bigger influence himself too.

Havent watched it yet but thats good to hear and Jones has made a very good start to the year Imo. A couple of very good games in the 2s, a game to get back up to speed (but with a hell of a lot more effort than we've seen before) and then a very good game last week.

Cant ask much more than we got last week he played exactly how we want him too, kicked a few, took some marks and delivered a few balls inside 50 but also his tackling and pressure is just so much better than it has been in the past, even late in the game. Maybe his tank has improved over the off season (or atleast his work ethic is up)

Wouldn't mind bringing in Cordy this week, hes had a really good start to the year and Minno needs a back up against GWS but also he's actually a pretty smart forward, even though hes never had a huge impact up forward in an AFL hes really good at doing little things off the ball which he doesnt get credit for, like blocking defenders tohelp out his teammates. Which would really help out our other talls and now that hes got a bit of confidence and is taking overhead marks he can have a bigger influence himself too.
Yeah Macca also mentioned that Jones kept coming up in the match review which is a good sign. I think he just knows his trade a bit more. Personally i think that Richmond game might make him realise he belongs at AFL level, he only really needs one more game like that in the next couple of weeks and i think he's there personally.

Re: Cordy it's great to see him playing well, I think the club will have a good versatile ruck duo in him and Campbell in the future and they'll basically do 50 50 each at all times. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some reward but i reckon it'd take Jakey to pull up sore, otherwise i'd keep Stringer in because he's just round the corner from a similar type of game himself.

Yeah Macca also mentioned that Jones kept coming up in the match review which is a good sign. I think he just knows his trade a bit more. Personally i think that Richmond game might make him realise he belongs at AFL level, he only really needs one more game like that in the next couple of weeks and i think he's there personally.

Re: Cordy it's great to see him playing well, I think the club will have a good versatile ruck duo in him and Campbell in the future and they'll basically do 50 50 each at all times. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some reward but i reckon it'd take Jakey to pull up sore, otherwise i'd keep Stringer in because he's just round the corner from a similar type of game himself.
Yeah Jones is probably one of the guys that macca keeps talking about when he says "weve got a few players who dont realize just how close they are to being good footballers", hopefullyhe keeps it up!

Yeah I agree Stringer looks like hes about to rip a game apart (those damn set shots though!!) and id love to play both him and Cordy but that might be just a little tall but I really think we need Cordy for backup ruck this week, who knows though we might be able to fit them both seeing as all 4 talls are pretty mobile.

What has impressed me the most about Jones so far is actually his goal assists so far this year, at least 3 - 4 times hes managed to get a sneaky handball away whilst under duress that has lead to a goal. Also had a few that he hasnt been able to grab that have gone for goals.
My expectations for our 3 key forwards (Jones, Crameri, Stringer) this year is at least 6 goals between them against the good teams and hopefully 7 - 8 against the lower ranked teams. If they can do that, and apply the tackling pressure in the forward 50 and dish a couple of goal assists off we can't ask for much more. Particularly as we have the small forwards and midfielders to kick goals as well.

What has impressed me the most about Jones so far is actually his goal assists so far this year, at least 3 - 4 times hes managed to get a sneaky handball away whilst under duress that has lead to a goal. Also had a few that he hasnt been able to grab that have gone for goals.
My expectations for our 3 key forwards (Jones, Crameri, Stringer) this year is at least 6 goals between them against the good teams and hopefully 7 - 8 against the lower ranked teams. If they can do that, and apply the tackling pressure in the forward 50 and dish a couple of goal assists off we can't ask for much more. Particularly as we have the small forwards and midfielders to kick goals as well.
We've had the least number of forward 50 entries of any team in the comp. it ain't easy being a key forward for the dogs lads. Jones would be a 45 goal a year forward playing for Geelong, freo, hawthorn etc. he's no star but he is a very capable key forward.

We've had the least number of forward 50 entries of any team in the comp. it ain't easy being a key forward for the dogs lads. Jones would be a 45 goal a year forward playing for Geelong, freo, hawthorn etc. he's no star but he is a very capable key forward.
Have been saying this for a couple of years now.
We've generally afforded the young midfielders so much patience but there's so little faith in Jones to grow with the team and reap the benefits when we're playing better footy.
He's obviously got aspects of his game he needs to work on, but he shows a lot in patches. I was pretty excited by his form in 2011 when he was the second tall, and watching him against Richmond I still believe he can be our 'spearhead', even though with the way footy's played now, that doesn't mean an 80 goal a year forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back