Analysis What would you have done in the 2014 Trade period?

What would you have wanted in your pocket at the end of the 2014 Trade period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we would have, but we still gambled and to claimthat gamble a success we need to assess pick 35.
When I gamble it is exceedingly rare that I hit the jackpot.

I'm very lucky to break even.

Most of the time I lose.

I think we are ahead of where we were if we didn't swap.

Rowie and Bicks seem to think we wanted Maynard. But that might have been sentimental.

*I don't gamble, story for demonstration purposes only.

When I gamble it is exceedingly rare that I hit the jackpot.

I'm very lucky to break even.

Most of the time I lose.

I think we are ahead of where we were if we didn't swap.

Rowie and Bicks seem to think we wanted Maynard. But that might have been sentimental.

*I don't gamble, story for demonstration purposes only.

Yes, if the criteria was 'elite' left footers then maybe it was Maynard. Anyway Wigg it is.

By pick 35 our options were gone. Surely we didn't give Geelong Nakai Cockatoo so that we could pick up Wigg?

Wigg does not scream "pick me" he looks more at home in the rookie draft. No speed, short but can kick!
Don't we have enough of these?

Why the bad feeling about Wigg's abilities?

Here's a pre-draft write-up:

Wigg, who ran at the highest disposal efficiency at the National Championships, finished with 18.6 disposals at a top line efficiency of 79 per cent, 3.3 marks, 2.3 tackles, 1.3 clearances and two inside 50s off his six games for the Croweaters. The performances saw him take home not only South Australia’s MVP, but also All Australian honours.
What's not to like?

Why the bad feeling about Wigg's abilities?

Here's a pre-draft write-up:

Wigg, who ran at the highest disposal efficiency at the National Championships, finished with 18.6 disposals at a top line efficiency of 79 per cent, 3.3 marks, 2.3 tackles, 1.3 clearances and two inside 50s off his six games for the Croweaters. The performances saw him take home not only South Australia’s MVP, but also All Australian honours.
What's not to like?

I prefer the view of someone who has actually seen him play over bare statistics - perhaps the question should be - whats to like?

48. Harrison Wigg (SA, Precision kicking small defender/outside midfielder)

178 cm, 74 kg, 14/10/96
Range: 35-60
Style: Matt Suckling
Comparison: Nick Suban/Sam Colquhoun

Widely considered the best half back of the championships, his footskills are a defining feature of his game. Technically his kick is okay. He's not going to be unleashing Hurn style 55-60 metre darts that pick out a teammate nobody saw. He's not at a Suckling level either (though he does play a similar role in the side). It's the mental aspect of kicking where Wigg excels. He's composed, he's got good vision with his ability to spot a target excellent and his decision making is also top notch. When those three are present it's difficult not to be a great kick. His read of the play is pretty good and he's able to drop into holes and intercept reasonably well.

There's also a lot not to like about Wigg. He's outside. Even in defence he's fed the ball more often than not. Through the middle he's very outside too. His high numbers in the championships were rather inflated by playing on from the kick-in. If there's a short target he nailed it and if there wasn't he hit it long to the contest - both defined as effective disposals. There was one game where I reckon over half his disposals came from kick-in play ons. That said at SANFL u/18s level he's racked up high numbers playing a role with much more midfield time. As a defender he's only 5'11 with a small frame. On size alone he'll struggle to take the taller smalls and he's not incredibly quick so he'll be found out against the speedy forward pocket types. Defensively he's limited in who he can match up on and he's too small to really fill the loose man effectively. I think he's probably going to want to move into the midfield where he won't have as much of a need to have a good defensive matchup but even then his only average pace will hold him back. Right now I think he's probably the most highly rated half back in the crop but I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide.

I agree.. We did gamble.. And we won... I am happy the club is being ruthless and taking risks and not playing safe...
We did well in that we still got Lever but as you pointed before the draft the key would be pick 35. I doubt Wigg is one of players we rolled the dice for and risk losing a player of Levers quality.

I believe the crows targeted Wigg for his outside play and his skills. What did everyone say about the crows. Mainly that we have so many hunters of the ball and not enough players who can use it well under pressure to hit targets from outside play. We gave up so many weak goals last season because of cheap turnovers from defence. What better player could we target than a half back flanker who has elite foot skills. He was SA's MVP show some respect people and give the kid a chance. Pick 35's don't walk into a side anyhow and most likely will need two years in the system learning his craft before a debut. Critique the selection after his second year.

We did well in that we still got Lever but as you pointed before the draft the key would be pick 35. I doubt Wigg is one of players we rolled the dice for and risk losing a player of Levers quality.
What leads you to that conclusion?

There's also a lot not to like about Wigg. He's outside. Even in defence he's fed the ball more often than not. Through the middle he's very outside too. His high numbers in the championships were rather inflated by playing on from the kick-in. If there's a short target he nailed it and if there wasn't he hit it long to the contest - both defined as effective disposals. There was one game where I reckon over half his disposals came from kick-in play ons. That said at SANFL u/18s level he's racked up high numbers playing a role with much more midfield time. As a defender he's only 5'11 with a small frame. On size alone he'll struggle to take the taller smalls and he's not incredibly quick so he'll be found out against the speedy forward pocket types. Defensively he's limited in who he can match up on and he's too small to really fill the loose man effectively. I think he's probably going to want to move into the midfield where he won't have as much of a need to have a good defensive matchup but even then his only average pace will hold him back. Right now I think he's probably the most highly rated half back in the crop but I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide.
have I just woken from a dream?

do people not bleat on about needing more outside players every day on here?

Im pretty happy with how it all went down. Happy with how many cuts we made and where, though I would have tolerated keeping Pets, Smack and Battersby.

Cheney and Lowden help with something that many people on bigfooty don't consider and that is having a decent age profile with our list. The lever selection was excellent. I reckon we are happy with the wigg selection but also I think that we had a few targets that were just snatched up before our pick which was bit dissappointing.

Now just to finish off with a couple of good rookies.

Does anyone thing that Charlie Cameron might go into the midfield eventually? Seems to have good disposal and decision making. If so we need to recruit another forward pocket.

Does anyone thing that Charlie Cameron might go into the midfield eventually? Seems to have good disposal and decision making. If so we need to recruit another forward pocket.
incredible for a guy who converted from rugby isn't it?...

just goes to show that we shouldn't accept crap kicks or bad habits from U12's and should actually teach and enforce proper technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a guy feel and pretty sure Campbell's Chunky can confirm
Wigg was just rated by us as the best kick in the draft + a leftie, hard to overlook. He has flaws (size and imposing himself) but they'll be ironed out, particularly as we have plenty of other players who are good at his flaws. Good get.

Wigg was just rated by us as the best kick in the draft + a leftie, hard to overlook. He has flaws (size and imposing himself) but they'll be ironed out, particularly as we have plenty of other players who are good at his flaws. Good get.
And we took him because Dillon Viojo-Rainbow of the elite, booming left foot variety had unexpectedly been taken prior to our selection #35 I'm thinking as that was the 35-45 range DV-R was touted to go by most?? Still think he was the initial target and our reason for #10 downgrade.

C'mon man, I know they haven't done much but they are at least good enough to be of delistable value. Cheney is a spare parts journeyman & the other bloke at least got 1 game in. Don't sell em that short
Think you are going to be pleasantly surprised!

what does that have to do with anything? Even if your blind guess turns out to be right, your asinine proclamation about their trade value isn't defendable
I provide proof that we gave hawks a pick for 2 decent players.

Where is your proof they would have otherwise been delisted...

but you only claim they are decent players because we gave a pick.

Which on the other hand is pretty sound logic coming from you ;)
Sound logic compared to your outrageous claim they were going to be delisted!

Back